Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next
 Chronicles of Jungalore: Rise of Dragons 
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
Post Re: Jungalore: The New World [Main RP Thread]
The newborn meridian slept in his tank, blue skin and scales, like his father, but with his mother's deep blue eyes. Philena was thrilled with the hatching of her child. Yet her eyes showed a hint of sorrow.

Bellamy spoke up, "What troubles you, Queen Philena?"

"It saddens me to know he will have to live in this world. In this world of blood-soaked water and without a father..." She sighed, "But, I suppose... Protecting him and our people will be my duty from here on out."

Godot smiled, "Anywhere can be heaven, you know, as long as the will exists to create it."

"I suppose that is true." She reasoned, "I have decided upon a name."

Bellamy nodded grabbing the registration papers he had the herald gather for him, "When you're ready..."

Philena gently caressed the back of her sleeping newborn, "Hydra. Hydra Ka'el Taltanis."

Godot then asked, "It goes with my duties, and it's personally fine if you don't wish to, but would you like if I had one of my people baptize him?"

"No, Meridians need fresh water and a healthy supply of seaweed to grow in their incubation stage." She cleared her throat, finally standing, "However, he will need a teacher as he grows, and given that Mikkael is... No longer with us, I wouldn't mind if each of you gave him the choice of a path to follow as he grows."

She turned to Scorpio standing in the doorway, "Even you, Scorpio."

"It would be our pleasure... Queen Philena."

--------------------------------------------------

Karliah awoke on the rocks below the cliffs. Barely conscious, she felt sharp pains in her back, and then the feeling of being lifted. She could barely hear what was being said, but she could think only of one thing.

"Lumbra has forsaken us..."

Eiryk sat next to Karliah in the citadel of Umbraria. An ironic sight for sure, but he knew of nowhere else nearby that he could go. The servant stepped up, "It's quite fortunate you brought her here when you did, man."

"Don't call me that." Eiryk responded.

"Well, it's true though, and she'll no doubt be useful to us as well. She's a general." He mused.

A dark knight nearby spoke up, "Actually, no, she's a former general."

"Oh?" The servant responded curiously.

"There was a court case that had her removed from the inquisition. It was a huge deal among the vampires that took refuge with us back then. Apparently she was a part of the plot, all to further the takeover of Vel Da Ir." He explained.

"Ah... I recall. Were it not for the defense's careful eye and detailed searching, Vel Da Ir would be a Lumbraic city, wouldn't it?"

"Right. I can't remember the names of those guys who did it though..." The dark knight continued, "But I remember one was a human, and another was a meridian."

The servant added, "Oh yes, it was Hiroko's trial, huh?"

"Correct. Hey, did you hear that she's the Daimyo of Vel Da Ir now?" The dark knight asked. The conversation continued on for what seemed like hours. Karliah awoke long after the two left the room. Her head was still groggy and Eiryk looked over at her.

"Hey."

Karliah scowled at him but then relaxed, "Where in Jungalore are we?"

"Umbraria's Citadel." He answered, "They used to call it Dreamer's Hill."

"... By Lumbra..." Karliah scowled harder, "Of all the places you bring me... Wait, did I kill him?"

Eiryk shook his head, "What are you talking about? I only found your body and a bunch of paladins down at the bottom of the cliffs."

"Pope Donaris, is he dead?"

Eiryk shrugged, "Dunno, don't know what he looks like."

Karliah sighed, "Let me lay here a while..."

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Thankfully, they had not been harried by any bandits on their march to Frenga. The forests and grassland was now eerily silent as night fell - it reminded her of the jungle south of Frenga Farms where those... things... had appeared. With a warm meal and fruit juice temporarily re-hydrating her, she was able to put some coherent thoughts in motion.

Just what was that thing that had given them a new lease on life in that trapped chamber in what felt like floor 200 of Cyndar's castle dungeons? Why did the creatures in the terrarium disappear? Would they make a reappearance here?

The wounded seer was doing better as well. With the blood-loss staunched and some rest, she had managed to regain some of her former strength - but the permanent blindness was bearing down on her. For now, she served as a scout of sorts - keeping watch for demons and anything else that could attack the party.

It was the smell of fire searing wood that first got to them. With a sinking feeling in her guts, she quickly ran ahead and broke out of the copse of trees to where the Cyndar Knights camp once was... only to find it a shattered battlefield, with the real battle taking place in the heart of Frenga Farms! Suddenly, the ground shook as if something massive had collapsed, and an inhuman scream tore across the air.

"This is not our day." she sighed.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 am
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
The meridian troops were finally reaching Fort Frenga, and the sight they caught wasn't pleasant. Captain Altans had to make a rash decision.

"All troops! Fall in! The legs seem to be a weak spot!" The captain bellowed.

Several meridians did their best to close in on the ARK moving in on Yemhelch. With meridian blades, they hacked away at its legs, and yet it was futile. The creature used its limb to grasp two meridians at once and crush them against the stones.

"Take caution! Don't let it get the best of you!" Altans commanded, rushing in himself, he pointed to the remaining Meridian troops as the magic circles surrounded him.

"O POWERS OF THE FLAME, SET AFLAME THE WEAPONS OF THOSE AROUND ME!"

The blades of the meridians ignited with fire. He turned to the knights and began enchanting their weapons with the power of fire as well.

A shatter echoed in the immediate vicinity, followed by a few short words.

"Where is it?"

Silence and awe struck those watching over him, as his eyes began to glow a fierce gold, his skin still full of life as if he hadn't died. He looked at his hands and without another iteration of the question, he began walking away, stepping over the pieces of crystal that dotted his resurrection site.

"Clearly, none here know... Then I shall find it."

He followed the path, speaking a tongue unbeknownst to those around him. As if bending to his will, hundreds of machines bound over his body, encasing him in black armor, with a golden trim. He continued walking over to the area where his sword was, taking it from the container with one hand. Those nearby watched in awe as he carried the huge sword with only one hand.

He walked down the pathways, silently, his eyes still aglow within his helmet. He passed a sign that read, "Cyndar" and walked through the entrance, breaking back into his world.

As he walked out of the netherworld, immediately, it seemed demons were attracted to him.

"So, a challenge?"

Link

Gripping the blade, he gave it a swing, and it cleaved straight through ten demons at once, and he continued walking into the ruined city. As legions of demons moved upon him, he would widen his eyes and cleave his way though. As he found what few survivors he could, he instructed them but one word.

"Go."

He continued walking down the streets until he encountered and ARK blocking the way up to Castle Soraen.

"A toy of the gods, turned against the original purpose."

The ARK set its sights and shot a white hot laser at him. In the instant, he cut at the beam of light, slicing even it in half.

"A master craftsman, I must have been, to be able to cleave through a marvel of science and magic." He grinned. With the buster sword he ran forth and drove it right into the corrupt construct's eye, causing it to explode into a brilliant light.

He continued on his path up to the castle.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
He stared down the monstrous metal spider as the eye began to glow. There was no way he could dodge at such close range. He put up his hands in a futile attempt to block the worst of the searing assault when a large ballista bolt slammed into the wall where the creature's legs had dug in - smashing it clear - the destructive ray of fire tore through the ballista and he barely managed to roll out of the way as the monstrous machine tumbled off the wall.

"You keep your shadow-sotted claws off my people!" a young man yelled from the next fortification, as several peasants quickly hoisted another crossbow bolt into the machine. "Or else you face the wrath of the Fernvolk Clan!"

Is that...

"Nice shot, Alvus!" Yemhelch shouted back, scrambling to his feet. "Watch out, though... I think we made it mad!"

With a primal roar, the machine righted itself, a crack on the head of its 'head' now leaking black blood. It leaped... clear over the wall, and to its downed compatriot before skewering it with one of its spiked legs and dragging it away from the muck. Red lines began to glow from both monstrous enemies as their screams of pain and howls of anger became one as the small army charged forth at once.

"Yeah... they're pissed off..."

That's when he spotted a few meridians, swords ablaze entering the fray from the northwest as well. "...Late to the party, ey Phi-chan?"

4 pcs.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:11 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"You've been oddly quiet, Jabchiel, this council requires your input regarding the boy and the paladin." The man in black armor, more exquisite, dark, and bloody than the other dark knights said. He was much taller than the other knights of the council, a titan among humans. None saw his face, but all could feel his palpable presence as he sat at the round table in the blacker than black room. Jabchiel, with his long blonde hair and closed eyes took a deep breath.

"He's nothing of what you nor I expected." The seemingly cheerful necromancer answered.

"You know nothing of what I expect." The man in the black armor replied, quickly putting Jabchiel in his place, "I expect someone who can give us info on the church, that they may finally be silenced, and that the one true goddess can be the subject of worship once again. I don't seek details."

"Well, if you let me finish, great abyss lord, I did get some information off of him..."

The other council members leaned in carefully as Jabchiel cleared his throat.

"Besides being the bearer of a sword unlike any other, he possesses one of our marks. Perhaps, before the time of the apocalypse, before the time of Umbraria's calling, he was in one of our labs, as a vessel test subject. As you are aware, such a subject is to be the vessel of Umbraria, in similar fashion to our lady Zeden..."

"I am fully aware of this," The abyss lord interrupted impatiently, "However, what do you mean by that 'perhaps'? You should be able to tell from the mark itself."

Jabchiel scratched his head nervously and smiled, "The mark is wrong."

"Impossible." The necromancer woman across the table from him retorted, "All lab workers are highly trained in the writing of marks upon the left arm of the subject. Further, the magic is a permanent aspect, it cannot be changed, and it cannot be manipulated. Not even the church would be able to erase it or fix it."

"That's the thing, it's on his right arm." Jabchiel answered. This made everyone sit upright from their relaxed positions, and even the abyss lord himself turned to Jabchiel in disbelief, but the necromancer held up a hand, "That's not all. The magic looks like it's been rewritten, or written differently."

"You can't be serious..." The woman said in disbelief, "Were we foiled?"

"Well, I did some digging, and no, we weren't. The documentation does exist for his involvement in a crashed project lab which existed in Frenga Farms." Jabchiel answered, pulling the parchment out. He passed it around the table with each necromancer looking at it, and the sketches of the sealing magics in place. He then passed down drawings of what he found.

"As you can see, it's nothing like our spells. It's far more advanced, and it's even more advanced than what Baph- I mean... more advanced than what the traitor managed to bring us." He explained. He rested his head in one hand, "I've already attempted in secret to change it, erase it, rewrite it, and so on, but the magic won't take hold."

As the papers came to the abyss lord, and then back to Jabchiel, he continued, "Kaaos, now you're looking more concerned than irritated."

"I'm concerned because this is exactly as you say..." The abyss lord answered. He tapped his fingers on the table for a full ten minutes in silence. The necromancers and dark knights looked on as he did so. Some broke into a cold sweat, others exchanged glances with Jabchiel, but the abyss lord finally spoke up, "I know nothing of this magic, but I do know this... Jabchiel, you need to continue to keep watch of him. Even if he leaves, I need to know everything about this mysterious mark..."

"Understandable, sire."

"Now, about the paladin..."

"No threat. He brought her in after he took a short leave. Supposedly she turned against the false prophet, Donaris." Jabchiel quickly explained.

"Tch, more and more info that sounds hysterical. A Paladin turning on-"

"Not quite, sir, a Paladin General."

Kaaos stared at Jabchiel angrily for a moment.

"Just a correction."

Clearing his throat, Kaaos continued, "REGARDLESS, it's quite farfetched to imagine such a scenario. However, given your info and his lack of info, I don't see a reason why this couldn't be the case... After all, detractors are among our ranks."

"This is true, sir."

The stone pillar crashed into the throne as Baphomatt swooped out of the way with dragon-like wings. He was no longer as he had formerly appeared. His hair was much longer, and he had scaled arms and legs, with large horns and draconic eyes of a piercing gold colour. Sharp teeth lined his mouth, and his black and red scales glistened in the flames of Cyndar.

"Funny, I thought you were dead."

The swordsman clad in technology unbeknownst to this world stepped forward. Though his face was unseen, Baphomatt could recognize his nemesis instantly from his body shape and the enormous sword resting on his shoulder.

"So, Mikkael Altans, how does it feel to be among the unliving?"

The meridian grabbed another marble pillar with one arm and tossed it where Baphomatt flew. Though he missed again, Baphomatt had to make quick motions and carefully watch the warrior who questioned it.

"Where is it?" He asked, "Where is my soul?"

Baphomatt laughed, "You honestly think your soul is still out there!? Mikkael, it's gone, completely. Unlike that woman of yours."

"Woman?" Mikkael questioned. He ran forward and cut at Baphomatt, who gracefully would dodge out of the way with each attack.

"Now now, Mikkael, wouldn't you like the answers?" After all, I was the one who saved you."

The meridian stopped attacking and listened, "Saved me? Then what are these memories I have?"

"Oh, but of course, the apocalypse took your memories... That woman fish, and that human, the two of them were out to get you. After all, that was why you fought me, your comrade from the very beginning. It was an unfortunate turn of events, but she was in the audience, waiting to rid of you, that she may be with that other treacherous fish... that prophet. Tarlak."

"You LIE!" Mikkael screamed, thrusting his blade into the wall which Baphomatt had just momentarily stood against. Baphomatt sighed.

"Mikkael, it does explain why you are here still, does it not? I merely countered her magic with my own, putting you in a stasis." Baphomatt continued. He then uttered further, "If only you could still remember how I had transported you to those medics who could keep you from death."

Mikkael quietly lowered his weapon, "But... My memories..."

"The brain likes to fill the blanks with imagination, a false truth to hide the full truth, Mikkael."

Mikkael stood there for a moment, shaking his head, "Y-YOU... IT CAN'T BE..."

"Join with me, Mikkael, and we shall rid the world of the traitors that cursed the both of us to untimely deaths."

Mikkael continued shaking his head, before he raised it, he felt great anger welling in his mind, and the doubts he had in his heart quickly dissipated as he looked back at Baphomatt, who continued smiling a draconic smile.

"Where do I start?"

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
In a frenzy, the two monsters - ARKs, as Ahnbein now called them had pulled themselves to the village center - the junction where two cobbled roads met. Yemhelch remembered this place - the store where he had bought his first meal, the well where he had filled his waterskin for the trip to Cyndar; it was all here.

And it was a wreckage. If these beasts were not felled, not even that would remain.

Suddenly, the monsters stopped their horrifying roars - and a cold silence descended upon the battlefield.

"Out of power...?" the man wearing the sniper's jacket managed to groan as he hefted away the heavy longbow.

"Could be a trap..." Aodhan eyed the two collapsed machines. "Fall back! Fall back!"

Two knights who were edging closer to the collapsed machines - and as they lunged back, they barely managed to dodge a skewering attack by both ARKs at once. In a sudden show of unconventional grace, the two machines suddenly leaped to the air, steam and black blood now seething from their chinks and cracks - red lines now glowing brilliantly enough to cast a sinister glow around the battlefield.

"It's not over yet...!" Yemelch grumbled as he quickly unholstered his trusty tanto. "How much longer?"

And then, with a sickening crunch, the ARKs began to rip and tear into each other, one wearing the other like a suit of armor - and the red lines flowing with energy started glowing white hot. And then, in a flash of its 'eyes' - the 'combined' ARK unleashed a field of fire that lit the street up in a challenge to the forces gathered below.

Suddenly, it twisted its leg into the ground - then moved faster than the human eye could track. Yemhelch's eyes widened as he saw the utter speed in which the towering monster moved, and it was upon them. Eyes fixed on Ahnbein, it drove forward a massive, spiked leg at her! Ahnbein couldn't even move her shield; the mass of metal flesh rushed at her like a hurricane!

"Ahnbein! Look ou-" Yemhelch's voice was drowned in the sonic boom that blasted through the battlefield, and one of the halves of her shield, sundered clean in two - clattered to his feet.

4 pcs.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"As the new meridian queen, I hope that you all will be willing to accept these new sets of laws." Philena announced over the battlements of the Assassin's Guild. Her pink fins flowed in the winds of the tropical city, lush with greenery unlike in the past years. Trees bloomed on its outskirts, and even now, people began to eat of the fruits that had long since disappeared in this area of the world.

Philena took hold of the scroll she herself had composed as the people -- composed of many races including her own -- listened in. She began from the very top, "This first section pertains to my dear people of the meridian race. Female superiority among our clan is to be completely abolished. Men and women shall be considered equals in this new society."

The men in the audience turned to one another and uttered to themselves. This act was courageous for Philena, to go against tradition and instate equal rights. Yet she continued, "All citizens of the Selkie and Meridian kingdom are to come together as one, under one banner, and they shall be paid a minimum wage so long as they are employed. Should you have wages that are higher than this minimum, it is to be maintained unless the owner of the workplace gives evidence of a lack of funds due to overpay. In which, our advisors, taken directly from the United Pirate's Mafia's, or UPM's accounting sector, along with members of the Jungalore New World Bank, or JNWB, shall take into account the funds and the means of profit generation, and adjust pay to encourage competitiveness and cooperation towards a common goal of furthering our city's resources."

The people were in a mild disarray as she continued down her list. First it was gender equality, then labour rights, then compensation for the families of soldiers, then instating the other existing laws of the meridian people into Selk, a place formerly without laws, and lastly, the rights of adventurers.

"All adventurers shall maintain free lodging, and to be a tavern owner in Selk or other Meridian Territories is a government funded job. Any attempt to disrupt such proceedings is considered a crime against the crown." She finished. She took a deep breath as Godot stepped up.

"Queen Philena, what of the religious freedoms?"

"Oh, yes..." She cleared her throat once more, "A final point not available on this list, is that all religions are free to worship in Selk and the Meridian Territories. Whether it be obscure gods or gods of established religion here on the mainlands. To punish others simply for worshiping other gods is an act against the crown, and falls under the punishment for equivalent crimes. I hold to the belief in separation of church and state, and that regardless of your religious view, the people deserve the right to believe in whatever they so desire."

At this, the crowd went into an uproar. Some took to booing, while others clapped and praised the new queen. The boos turned into points of disagreement. For how could one deny the righteous word of Lumbra? Especially given their evidence for his existence. Those who had just come out as Umbraria worshippers denied those of the Lumbraic faith.

"It seems that went less appropriately than expected." Godot stated, looking at the chaos. Philena turned to Scorpio.

"Can you quell their infighting?"

"I can try..." He began. Though he at first had his doubts about this new ruler, he figured he best allow it. For without a leader, Selk would likely fall victim to whatever lurks beyond the fields and sands. He stepped up to the battlements and called out in a booming voice, "LISTEN! HEAR ME AND OBEY. You are already turning to violence against one another! As the captain of the Selkie Guards, and the new authority in the protection of our people, we of the Assassin's Guild will spare no expense if we must to capture the radicals! Our new queen is trying to create a society that can stand up to the threat of the new world. Show some damn composure!"

Philena cleared her throat, "It is true, that you may have conflicting views based on your faiths, and even the female meridians will dislike this new society I am creating. However, we need these changes if we are to remain on the map."

The people quieted down at this, and knelt in silence.

"I trust that we will all get along, and that we will all work to create the best society in this new world. Can we do that?" Philena asked in a humble tone, at first, silence, but she continued, "Can we do that, not just for ourselves, but for the newborn people of this city?"

A few at first responded in agreement, and as more joined in, others followed. Soon, everyone was in agreement with their new queen.

"My people, remember, I am a fair and balanced ruler. I am a normal individual, just like each and every one of you. Should the people of Selk have issues with the new laws, I will gladly fix them to find the proper balance... Thank you."

Philena turned and walked back into the guild. Bellamy waited inside as the other two guild leaders followed.

"Sounds like it went surprisingly well." Bellamy stated in his formal attire, much different from his pirate gear that he so often wore. Philena smiled at each of them.

"The state workforce will require a visit. I have written up documentation on our new procedures, and information on how we shall fix up the City of Selk. If we are making profit, and if the people follow the taxation laws, we can better protect them by fortifying the city. Also, I'd like to set up some quarries and farms for these apples. It will create jobs for people."

"I can handle this, your majesty." Bellamy responded, taking his documentation and heading out.

"Godot, I expect you to ensure the freedom of religion is upheld. Encourage the construction of churches for those who practice other religions. I know the tenets of the Lumbraic faith sa-"

"You needn't worry, your majesty. I do not fully adhere to the Lumbraic Tenets."

"Ensure your own church gets remodeled, too. It's looking a little downtrodden." She added with a smile. Godot picked up his papers and headed out as well.

"Scorpio, you know what this leaves you in charge of." She said, finally turning to him. He nodded and she continued, "Run the law, be fair, and get an exploration team ready."

"Yes my... Wait, pardon?"

Philena smiled, "Speak with Bellamy about the details. Mikkael passed by an undiscovered island before his death. I think it time we got some people to explore this mystery island that lies due south of here."

"If you insist..." Scorpio answered.

"Scorpio... Thank you for your cooperation." She finished.

"What's the point if we don't try?" He laughed. Scorpio picked up his papers and left to do his duties. Philena gave a sigh and looked out one of the windows at the night sky.

"Mikkael... I will see to it that our people live on, and that the memory of you never fades from this world."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
It moved so fast, that its metallic legs were like blurs to the human eye - Ahnbein could only raise her shield helplessly against the oncoming mass of destruction that pushed aside brick and stone and tore up the ground like a massive plow.

Impact.

She felt herself being flung clean out of the battlefield and into the shattered wall that even now smoldered and burnt. For a moment, she could not feel her legs - but then as quickly as the numbness took her... she drew in breath and realized she was still alive as feeling began to return to her limbs, but her chestplate was gouged, and blood dripped upon her exposed stomach.

Black blood. As her head stopped spinning, she saw... that man she had met with Yemhelch in the world beyond, draped over her. Her stomach sank as she saw his body cut open from the torso, revealing a mass of flesh, eyeballs and twitching tendons and tentacles. His body had taken the brunt of the killing blow intended for her, and she shuddered as she turned him around - fighting the urge to kick the body away on one hand, to cry at the other.

The sight was so horrible that she fell to her knees and did what she could to stop hyperventilating. He had thrown awa-

"Huh, its pretty tough..." the man replied, twisting his head around to look at her. "I think we'll have to step up our game too."

She was speechless, and he continued. "I figure we could do the same and really put on some heat on that monster, since... huh? Is there something on my face?"

An awkward silence followed for a second, and Ahnbein quickly got up - her eyes holding most of the questions that now ran through her mind.

"Yeah, I know. This looks pretty bad - but given some time, I can recover from this. But time's something you people don't have right now. If we don't stop that thing, a lot of people are gonna die."

Casting aside her doubts, she nodded, and began to look around for her sword which she had dropped in the fight.

"Hey, wait." the man, now almost turned inside out called to her. "How about we combine our strengths? The way we're right now, we can't possibly beat that thing."

Another quizzical look from her.

"Don't worry, it will not change you... unless you will it." he explained. "Simple, just scoop up my remains and will yourself to take this power."

Power.

She closed her eyes to think it over. He was right - she needed all the help she could get right now. Opening her eyes, she nodded tersely and knelt before the mass of flesh and drove her hands into the quivering maelstrom before her.

Power.

Like water before a sponge, the mass of flesh rushed into her fingertips, veins of energy snaking through her skin as her natural Willpower reserves were further amplified by the Entity's awakened force within her. Her eyes glowed white as raw energy manifested to flesh, welding her armor shut, and her wounds weaving shut.

Power.

"And now, for the cherry on top." the voice in her head continued. "Here's something I found in the old world that could really help us out."

Holy light began to emanate from her body as the Scepter of Selk was activated, and her armor shifted into a scaled white plate and her muscles twitched with newfound force. A mass of flesh shot out through her mouth, black and throbbing with eyeballs and teeth, before withering away to reveal a soft, pink tongue that fit comfortably in her mouth.

"Allright, then..." she nodded. "Let's give that monster a lesson in war!"

With a single leap, she cleared the shattered house, and ran across the narrow rooftop, her legs moving in a blur - the surroundings fading with her sheer speed. She tried making a few backflips and sidewinds, and her body obeyed - almost flying through the air! The ARK didn't even get the chance to react - her leg smashed into it and knocked it to the ground before she screeched to a stop and picked up her blade. A cheer went up as the monster smashed its head against a sturdy well foundation, shattering one of its newly sprouted eyes.

4 pcs.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:54 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"I no longer understand.

Even though I have long been subscribed to my faith in Lumbra, from the days of my youth, beyond this cataclysm, and even now, Lumbra no longer answers my call. But as one of the ancients once wrote, as toy soldiers are to children, are we to God."

Karliah knelt beside her bed in prayer. Hopelessness had encompassed her entire being, at first, only a shadow over her armor, now a heavy blanket of ebony draped over her head and her shoulders. Judgement was impossible under this veil of self-doubt, not without effort, and even the belief in her god of light was a matter that had to be stressed.

In a scream, she tossed her scripture against the wall. The book fell to the floor, and she wept against the covers of the straw mattress. Soon, however, she knew the two of them would need to depart for new horizons, even as she knew the people of Lake Forkheads would be safe with that man, she sought something more. Walking out into the main foyer, she met with Eiryk, who silently contemplated his next course of action. Even as she looked at him, she couldn't help but visibly make aware her lack of hope for the future.

"I honestly have no clue what we should do, Eiryk." She said in her melancholy.

"From my understanding, they are letting us go because we lack the knowledge they require. We should go to where this all began." He stated as a possible course of action.

Karliah walked alongside him and spoke as they left the citadel, "Where would that be?"

"I don't know, but I know we should head to Selk. Avoiding Cyndar at this time may be crucial to our survival." He responded, walking out the large black gate.

"So back to Vel Da Ir, huh?" She reasoned, "I know the Siren's Path is clear of those machines on the east side..."

"Plus, I destroyed one on the west before I was taken to the citadel."

"So a path to Selk should be clear." Karliah figured, "However, we must first return to Commander Aodhan at Frenga. It's in the most immediate threat of danger."

"Right, then let's make haste." Eiryk concluded. Before they could set off, Jabchiel appeared before them with a horse.

"Yo." He greeted shortly, "I hope you weren't planning on leaving without a proper transport."

Karliah walked up to Jabchiel, still keeping her distance, "Your assistance has been very helpful, despite our differences in faith. I bear no ill-will towards you or the necromancers housed here."

"I am glad for this." Jabchiel responded with his usual smile, "Karliah, religion unites through division. While I cannot hope to bring you into the circle of Umbraria worship, I do hope you will think twice before ever considering going back to those of Lumbra worship."

She looked over to the flooded coastline, red with the gore of mortal remains and nodded, "I will look the other way from now on."

"There is one other thing. A while ago, a man approached us with an item. He said that a female paladin with golden locks and azure eyes would arrive in the arms of one such as he. My lord instructed me to give this object to you, given that you seemed to fit the description." Jabchiel continued. He produced from his pocket a medallion inscribed with a white circle. On the back was writing in a script which neither of them could understand, but consisted of four distinct characters. Karliah placed it in her bag and nodded.

Jabchiel smiled again, "Keep the horse. They are few in number, but I'm sure it will do you both well in your travels."

"Thank you again... Your kind isn't as evil as I once thought."

"Think nothing of it. Now, off with you, you have places to be."

The two of them mounted the horse, Eiryk in the back with his bow ready to pierce any enemies. Karliah took the reigns and set off for Fort Frenga.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
The woman in the brilliant white armor, and the massive, 8-legged mechanical beast oozing darkness itself from its chinks and shatters now were matched evenly - neither willing to yield, and both striking at each other with enough force to send small quakes across the area. Fort Frenga's main defensive wall was now a collapsed pile of rubble, the makeshift defenses now more a field of stone than wall.

Below, the defending army was starting to tire. The Meridian reinforcements were a welcome change, but the ARKs had turned their fortunes.

"They're only human." Yemhelch groaned. "Still, props to them for having fought on for a day non-stop..."

"We need to finish this thing off. Any ideas?" Aodhan staggered back, clutching at some wounds on his stomach.

"Just one. It might not work."

"Better than being slowly ground to paste..."

"True. What I need you to do is draw a line with the mounted crossbow bolts on that thing. That crack on its underside looks big enough several bolts to smash open. Ahnbein could then aim for the vitals from there."

"Allright... we'll try that." Aodhan nodded. "We'll need to immobilize it. You, you're with distraction. Go!"

"Leave it to me, commander."

-

Dodging what felt like a swing thrown faster than the speed of sound, Ahnbein nodded as well as her boosted senses picked up the conversation. Within her head, the man who had accelerated her Willpower and changed her body also grunted.

"Lets ride this storm right out."

She then switched stances into a throw, and flung her sword at the ARK. With practiced ease, it swatted the spinning sword out of the air... only to catch both of her booted feet ramming in its remaining eye - caving it completely! Unleashing a roar of rage, it attempted to skewer her with its legs, only for another large crossbow bolt smash into its back - right into a crack in its armor!

With another inhuman scream, it fell from the damaged granary and into a shattered house.

"He's climbing in. We need to keep this thing stopped here." the voice said. ""

"Who...?"

Ahnbein craned her neck to spot Yemhelch gingerly using the partially pierced crossbow bolts as climbing aids as he stepped through the thrashing feet, and into the 'torso' of the spider.

"That's right. We'll take it apart from the outside and the inside!"

As if on instinct, she spun away from the metallic leg that speared at her. The ARK, with a roar of rage, spun away from the combined attack force, its attention focused on her as she quickly landed on the ground. Several shield-wall Paladins quickly backed her up as she rolled away. A peasant who had pitched into battle with nothing but a leather set of armor and a kitchen knife, pointed to a wrecked store - and she saw the now-familiar glint of her sword! Shattered at the tip, yes... but now, that made it a pretty good poking stick.

--

It was insanity. It was madness - yet, he had done it! Using the massive crossbow bolts as a stepping stone, he had slipped right into this monster's heart.

Now, it thrashed this way and that and over the crunching sounds of power and corruption, his counterpart's voice was barely a whisper. "I figure it's either some kind of machine, or some sort of creature wearing armor. Destroy the brains from within."

Nodding, he switched to his tanto and began to cut a path through the dangling nerves, the sparking rods and the throbbing green panels when his nose twitched. Without warning, one of the walls suddenly manifested a blackish, corrupted gunk that tried to impale him... only to get sliced in two.

A shriek of pain echoed through the ARK as his blade met flesh and steel at once. More began to emerge, and Yemhelch found his way impeded. The tanto wouldn't be enough to - without warning, a particularly strong tendril of raw darkness grabbed him by the neck, only for him to kick the wall back and sink his teeth into the attacker's flesh. That smell... he had smelled this smell before... dropping on all fours like a feral hunter on the track of his prey, he grinned as his eyes glowed with cool satisfaction.

"I have found you at last."

With sudden, newfound savagery - he began to cave a path of destruction through the ARK's body - chewing, clawing and slicing through flesh, metal, corruption and the scent of death.

4 pcs.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
(OOC: You forgot a bit of dialog there, Yomu.)

-

It was big. Its body glimmered unnaturally under the fires that now marked the ruins of Fort Frenga and a large section of the village proper. And it was way beyond their capabilities to even match. With this in mind, they focused on helping those retreating from the creature's rampage - avoiding the ire of this multi-legged monstrosity that towered over the village.

As they managed to rendezvous with the remnants of the Cyndar Knights who were now cycling the fight, she began to see a change in the monster's movements. At first so sure and battle-frenzied, now it was being cornered by a large contingent of troops being led by a blond-haired person in a suit of brilliant white. Assault after assault landed on it, with each strike harder than the last - the mechanical nightmare's wear and tear starting to significantly slow it down.

The Knight Commanders' adjutants looked at her party nervously as they approached.

"Who're you?" he asked, exhausted from treating so many wounded over such a short time.

"Magus guild..." she managed to croak. "We were at Cyndar when..."

His eyes grew wide. "Commander Aodhan will want to hear about this. Help yourself to my rations - and do not join the battle."

"Thank you."

Natsuki and her small band of followers sat down at the makeshift campfire, thankful to be surrounded by their own once more.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:15 am
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
For all its dire weapons that had once rained down terror upon the people today, it was helpless against the attacker now ripping his way through its innards like a chestburster gone berserk - chewing through tendons, flesh, armor paneling and complex machinery in a frenzied rage. Here and there, plates of armor loosened from its attack broke away from its body in chunks and pieces as it desperately tried to extricate the invader from its body, but to no avail. At last, he reached the heart of the beast - a black orb of evil energy sitting upon a greenish stack of panels with black crystals on them.

Yemhelch ripped into this orb with his weapon, following up with his teeth and nails - and the monster howled in agony as it lost control of several of its appendages, misfiring several of its weapons this way and that as the nerve signals began to crash and jumble under this direct attack to its 'brain'.

"You will not escape me this time, my prey." he smiled grimly as he dug in.

-

The ARK must've suffered some serious damage - that one lucky trebuchet shot had brought it to its 'knee' equivalents and now it thrashed around in a frenzy, howling in pain. Now was her chance! She ran up one of its shattered legs and leaped into the air - broken sword in hand as she dived on the prone figure of the titan that once brought so much death here.

"HHHRRRYYYYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!" A war-cry escaped her lips as she brought down her sword on the exposed fleshy organ she thought looked like a brain. As if in unison, the monster screamed in pain, all 3 of its remaining legs shooting up into the air as the blade pierced through its brain, cutting off several vital nerves and arteries.

A sudden silence filled the air as the legs suddenly fell slack, crashing into the rubble. As the dust cleared, Ahnbein finally pulled the sword free from the rapidly-melting flesh of her quarry and turned to face the small army gathered here.

"Looks like its game over for that thing, so... I'll just go rest for a while..." the voice in her head mumbled. "That was fun, though. Perhaps we'll talk later?"

She felt her body ease down, the surging power in her muscles slowly fade away as her breathing slowly returned to normal. However, her tongue did not fade away - a gift? She was still unused to speaking, but for now, it would do...

It was Commander Aodhan who broke the silence. "Three cheers for Lady Ahnbein!" he shouted, a gauntleted fist in the air. A ragged cheer went up from the mob in response, the tension and horror of the battle finally lifted from the battle as they all surged around her, back-slaps and handshakes all around.

4 pcs.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:24 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
Thankfully, their emergency first aid had prevented the seer from bleeding out. As the healers attended to her, she sat at the Cyndar Knights camp. The battle had ended at last, and now the titanic monster lay in the what once was the central market of Frenga Farms, its fleshy innards slowly dripping from its massive armor plates. Even now, shot to pieces and some smiths carefully removing the large armor plates, it was a sight to behold. A soft rain had put out the infernos the monster - the 'ARC' as the locals were calling them, had gouted out.

At first, people had recoiled in fear at the rain, fearing 'death and rot from above' - but no, this was pure water softly drizzling down putting out the forest fires and the ravaging inferno the monster had unleashed.

"Perhaps Lumbra has not forsaken us after all..." a healer sighed as she collected water to prepare the healing herbs.

From her vantage point, four magefires had been lit - the drops of water feeding the magicked flames and as night fell, the searing light of the inferno was replaced with a calming, soft reddish-orange glow that bathed the village. It was truly the end of Frenga Farms.

"Shame, huh?" one of the knights who had survived the ordeal at Cyndar Castle stood next to her as they surveyed the wreckage of the former farming village. "But you know what, we're are a tough bunch. We'll have this place up and running in a fortnight."

"Can't be a village anymore, though..." she replied. "We'll need better walls, and bigger ballistas, and perhaps spell towers and warding..."

"Damn right, this place is gonna be the stronghold of those who dare."

She felt better now. The hot meat stew had banished her crippling hunger and the herbal tea prepared by the healers left her sharp and alert.

"I'm going down there, see if I can help."

"Much appreciated, ma 'am." the knight smiled as he tipped his helm. "I'm gonna go do the same."

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 am
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
His body would not move - pushed to beyond the limits of human endurance and now his short, ragged breath echoed in the 'brain cavity' of the monster. How long had he stayed here? Weeks? Minutes? Time seemed to quiver and turn asunder as he stared up at the ceiling - a blackish wall that once had been metal. At the very edges of his hearing, he began to sense the soft rasp of a hacksaw, then the voices of people shouting - plates being carved by steel, banging, crunching sounds...

Suddenly, pale torchlight flooded the chamber as the wall he was staring at was taken apart and several people stared right back. His addled mind couldn't recognize any more faces for a few moments, but then...

"You're a lunatic, mercenary." Commander Aodhan grinned as he held out a gauntleted hand. "But you're the gutsy sort of lunatic a soldier can admire."

Oh right... he had managed to tear his way into the beast that had attacked Frenga Farms... nodding, he grabbed the outstretched hand and they heaved him out of the monster's head, now almost hollow now that the fleshy innards had seeped out...

"We saw everything." he continued as he easily lifted Yemhelch clear off the corpse. "Pretty smart of you to attack the thing from the inside. So, what's your name, soldier?"

Name? Name... his name... what was his name?

A younger man waved at him. "Farmer Yemhelch, now a demonslayer!" he grinned. "You've sure moved on up in the world!"

That was his name. More memories of the battle began to flood back into his head.

"Y-yeah, thanks for the backup, Alvus. I'd be fine ash if it wasn't for you." he replied with a weak smile. "So, thanks."

"Clan Fernvolk always watches out for the people." Alvus replied with a thumbs-up. "Help one another and we all will move forwards, right? That's how we roll!"

"Smart plan to assail the monster from all directions, though." Aodhan continued, the sheer euphoria of winning such a deadly battle putting on a large smile on his normally serious face - as was the case with the others who were now congratulating each other. "Come on! It may not be much, but we've saved the breadbasket of the Mainland today. Tonight, we feast... tomorrow, we build the new world of Fort Frenga!"

His stomach grumbled in response, earning a laugh from the gathered soldiers.

"...That would be great. Thanks, Commander."

As he stepped out of the corpse of the machine-like beast, he saw a girl with soft light blue hair wearing a ruined robe walk down the path from the Cyndar Knights camp to the ruins of Frenga Farms, a satchel of medical supplies in hand.

"Is that..." his eyes narrowed for a moment before recognition hit. "Hey! Natsuki! You're alive too?"

4 pcs.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
The two had rode through the night through the Siren's Path, already, Samurai were scouting the new roads, redrawing their maps as they did. Eiryk and Karliah had made it through easily thanks to his efforts earlier. Karliah herself weighed heavily on the words passed onto her by the necromancer, now more kin than kind. Jabchiel was right. She could never hope to rejoin the circle, even if she wanted.

Her faith to the Lord, however, remained, even if it was more accepting.

"I wonder..." She began, as they made their way along the ruined roads in the North-West Corisca mainland, "If Lumbra loves all life, why does he shun the sinner to damnation? Is it like the relationship between parent and child? If so, why is the punishment eternal?"

Eiryk shrugged with indifference, "Whatever the case with god, I just want him to leave his hands out of my destiny."

"Don't we all?" She asked with a grin, but her thoughtful gaze returned as she looked to the stars, "I do wonder if God planned this. What purpose does it serve? Is this the end of the world as foretold in the final chapters of the bible?"

"Maybe." Eiryk remarked once more with indifference, "Whatever the case, those guys were pretty curious about my markings."

They eventually reached the farmlands. Many of the fields were scorched, embers here and there, and burnt earth in black lines painted the landscape. Yet the people were busying themselves in the sunlight, using wooden cranes to lift the heavy stones from the new northern quarry into place, building great walls like those in Cyndar.

Eiryk and Karliah dismounted their horse and lead it to the local stables. They met again with Commander Aodhan, directing knights on their patrols and scouting missions. Farmhands worked to till the fields once again, and workers dotted the landscape to show where the inner stones would lay. Aodhan then began to speak to Altans on the status of Selk.

"Commander, we've returned!" Karliah shouted out.

Aodhan smiled, waving her over, "Karliah, good to see you've made it back in one piece! Captain Altans here of the Meridian Army has recently given word that Philena has assumed rulership of Selk, and has sent a few scouts back to the Meridian lands to bring back any other survivors."

Altans did a double nod, "You missed all the action. Two of these... ARKs, as they've been named, they showed up and started blasting the place. However, everyone pitched in their efforts and did them in."

"Truly?" Karliah asked, "We ran into one-"

"Two." Eiryk interjected.

"Right. We ran into two ARKs on the Siren's Path. Seems the Ninja Clans have been listening into what the locals have been calling them."

"Autonomous Relic Keepers... Just what are they after?" Aodhan thought for a moment before shaking his head, "Well, in any case. We've decided to fortify the breadbasket of the Corisca Mainland. It will become a new fortress for the survivors of Cyndar. Fort Frenga!"

"Fort Frenga? Has a nice ring to it..." Eiryk noted.

"Truly." Karliah agreed, "I also checked with the Church of Lumbra, as well as the Circle of Umbraria."

"The Circle?" Aodhan remarked, "How in the world did you-"

"It's a long story. Anyways... Neither of them have any clue as to what happened. The most I have to go on is that Pope Donaris sees it as a divine act."

"I see..." Aodhan rubbed his chin, "Well, good work you two. The only question that remains is, what will you both do now?"

Karliah smiled and answered, "After getting settled in, I would love to help out. I do not seek to place any religious sect here, but what I do hope is that I may assist in fortifying the defenses of this place."

"Splendid! Head on down to the tavern. They've finished setting up there. Get some food and rest, we'll start your work tomorrow." He then turned to the Meridian, "Altans, do you plan on heading back with your troops?"

"I do, commander."

Aodhan nodded in agreement, "Alright. Go then, please assist your people, and tell Queen Philena that we seek an alliance."

"I will see what she says and send a messenger between our cities." Altans nodded before heading to where his troops rested.

"Eiryk... You've had a rude wakeup call, and you're so young to boot. If there's anything we can do, let us know... What do you plan on doing?"

"I want to learn how to survive. That's what matters to me right now." He mentioned, "Also, I want to learn to serve better to our people."

"Hmmm... You've taken up bow training I see..." Aodhan gave his next words some thought then smiled, "I suggest joining Altans. He's heading back to Selk, and if you seek the Assassin's Guild there, surely they can give you some tips. They are in service to the Altena Kingdom, always were, always will be."

"Thank you, I will be on my way then." Eiryk said. He now had a goal in mind. With Excalibur still at his side in silence, perhaps he would find a means of awakening it as a weapon. Until then, he would need to hone his mind and body, and achieve greatness through his own works.

He joined up with Altans, who agreed to have him, and they went on their way.

Karliah, however, gazed at the amulet that was given to her. What were these characters? They were unlike any seen on Jungalore, unlike the ancient texts she had once gazed through, and the pattern was intriguing.

"Isn't a paladin supposed to remain sober?" A female knight asked, sitting next to her. She was taller than Karliah, but not as tall as a titan, and her azure eyes reflected the candle-light of the newly established tavern of Frenga Farms. Her body was lightly built, likely from swinging the claymore around on her back, and a honey-gold braid of hair fell down her left shoulder, clad in steel chainmail and a surcoat.

Karliah smiled with a light chuckle before answering, "Yes. I am not of The Inquisition any longer, however."

"Truly? Don't they execute those who fall out of their ranks?" She continued asking.

"Yes, this is true." Karliah answered calmly taking a drink, "You don't see female knights much."

"We used to be forced into office work." The lady-knight answered, "Men got all the glory, no room for us in the old knightage. It's a good thing a man like Aodhan survived. Without him, most of us girls would still be in the office, without any training, and we would have been wandering the Cyndar Sewers for ages."

"I see, so not exactly an egalitarian position... Much like my own."

"'Tis true." The woman answered, "The name is Ruuta. I've been a knight for only a few months, and you?"

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next