Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Favorite Author/s; Who and Why? 
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Favorite Author/s; Who and Why?
I've always said it was Orson Scott Card or Heinlen... for their speculative future politics and interesting insights on human nature and what makes us human.

Though as of late, I've fallen in love with Ian Douglas and his "Heritage Trilogy". Why? Because those politics seem so possible... and I find myself pondering those fictional politics. That's what makes a good author; someone who can draw you in so completely that even once you put the book down, your mind still wonders that universe. It is an utterly amazing experience.
His descriptiveness leaves something desired perhaps, but the overall expanse of the politics and battles makes that mute in my opinion.

I’ll discuss Card and Heinlen in my next post.

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Profile E-mail
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
Post Re: Favorite Author/s; Who and Why?
Big fan of Bernard Cornwell, Sharpe series was A plus stuff, I loved every book. He's brillaint at describing battles and it's a big bonus he writies primarly in my faveroite bit of history (Imperial Europe/Napolenic Wars). I also enjoy the way he can intertwine multiple charcters in a seemless way. His only fault in my eyes is that on the occasion he tends to go a little over the top with the description.

The very image of a king

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Sick Fuck
Sick Fuck

Cash on hand:

Bank:
psychokittyboy wrote:
I've always said it was Orson Scott Card or Heinlen... for their speculative future politics and interesting insights on human nature and what makes us human.

I haven't read Orson Scott Card yet, But I have gotten some Robert Heinlen. You're right on the money there, their insights on human nature are spot on.

I like me some H.P. Lovecraft, his forays into the paranormal and the depths and fragility of the human psyche are really awesome.

Graphic Novelists, I go for Allan Moore (pretty much a given) for his really good deconstruction of the Superhero myth in "Watchmen" and his Politically charged "V for Vendetta". I also like Frank Miller but more for his work on "Batman: Year One" than his work on "The Dark Knight Returns".

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:44 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis
And that they are together is significant, as they enhance each others works, give them deeper insights. This seems pretty logical though as they were both very good friends from school days onward. Tolkien helped convert Lewis to Christianity, which is huge aspect of Lewis' life and writings afterwards. Lewis based one of his main characters partially on Tolkien as well. And, of course, there is the rumour that the two of them had a deal to split up the concepts of Time and Space between them, hence such works as Tolkien's Silmarrillion (and other Middle Earth works), covering a vast amount of Time, and Lewis' Space Trilogy, covering a wide amount of space, both of which are considered possibly the most influential works on Fantasy and Science Fiction since, and at least marked as changing everything in those areas after them.

But, I digress a bit. I find both writers to be incredibly imaginative with a tremendous depth in their creation of new worlds, cultures, histories and so forth. They also are so brilliant in the way that, subtly or boldly, they represent their faith, theology, and philosophy in their stories. Of course I'm a big fan of Lewis' philosophical and theological works as well, and both of their contributions to English Language and Literature studies, such as Lewis' "Study of Words" and Tolkien's various critical essays on Faerie, Old English Literature, mythology, and so forth. The humor Lewis brings out and the powerful emotions and wonder which Tolkien invokes are amazing. And of course, the whole time they do all these things in such compelling stories in a way which seems only proper rather than something of a side thought or hidden motive, as some writers fall victim to doing.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:27 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Tom Clansy and Steave Paziak (Or however you spell his last name.) But I'm a big fan of the Net Force series, very interesting and diverse. I am also reading the Splenter Cell series.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
I really fuckin' love Stephen King. He's the only author I've read a bunch of books from.

Cather in the Rye is one of my most favorite books, but that's the only JD Salinger book i've read.

1984 was great. need to read Animal Farm (i know right?) (George Orwell, by the way).

Dean Koontz is great for Velocity, but that's the only book i've read of his.

SD Perry is awesome for her Resident Evil Books. Seriously, that shit is awesome.

Bill O'Reilly is actually a really good writer. I seem to really read through his shit really fast.

And JRR Tolkein is a mix. The stories he write are pretty awesome, but he has this thing where he takes up a whole chapter just describing one thing, and it gets really annoying. It seems that he's the type of writer who just likes to make his books thick. but his imagination is still pretty raw.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:14 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
So I know you hate Twilight! XD

LMAO Vampires DO NOT SPARKLE! XDDD

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]