Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Nuts are a fairly expensive food by mass 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Nuts are a fairly expensive food by mass
I mean, standard Cashews or Almonds are like, $7-$8 per pound bought in bulk even, and other nuts are often more expensive than that, at least per usable pound. Yea, you can often find many of them on sale here or there for a bit less, but either way their a fairly expensive food compared to other ingredient level foods like fruits, vegetables, and even most meats (their on par with many steaks for instance, or more expensive than some at times depending on the nut and the steak). Even in most per calorie ratings it's not particularly great compared to meat and oil sources (as in, the amount of energy you get per dollar spent).

Peanuts are the least expensive, but technically not nuts, and still not as low on the expense threshold as some may think.

So, the "for nuts" expression, which vaguely means cheap, seems a bit misleading.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:16 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Re: Nuts are a fairly expensive food by mass
I wonder how difficult growing nut trees would be. Like maybe this is a gold mine waiting to happen. I know shelling certain varieties can be difficult.

Then again squirrels eat a lot of nuts (allegedly) and that I'm sure means something.

In just under one-thousand eight-bit bytes I have to confer some glorious shrine to myself by means of text, images, hyper links, embeded flash compositions and possibly formatting. I could abuse this easily. Ten hour clips on youtube embeded in a single vertical stack. Multi-megapixel long transparent GIFs causing scrollbar hell. Nuero-linguistic programs that fuck your mind like a fresh squid. Eye raping color schemes using ascii full-width blocks. Images or links to images of things that can not be unseen. Anything called "epilepsy" dot SWF. This is what I want to do. I am not a good person. I just know that would be a flagrant display of disrespect. I'll wait until I can get away with it.
NOW IN GLORIOUS TODD A.O.!
fluffco™ LLC takes no responsibility for anything, ever, at all, under any circumstances and is entirely fictional outside Colorado.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:04 am
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Pecans are cheap as hell, at least. You can get them for free in any park around these parts...

That said, nearly impossible to get to the actual edible part. Even when you do crack it open, you're likely to accidentally get a piece of the shell in your mouth, and damn... that shit is just gnarly.

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
That's probably an availability thing where you are. Pecans aren't particularly cheap around here. For instance, nuts.com bulk versions list Pecans as generally more expensive per pound than Cashews and Almonds. Local stores may have them at higher or lower around here, but I thought higher (but, I don't really look that much, as I only discovered in the last few weeks that I now can eat pecans without gagging).

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:37 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
Laser Assisted Nut Extractor. LANE. Hm.

In just under one-thousand eight-bit bytes I have to confer some glorious shrine to myself by means of text, images, hyper links, embeded flash compositions and possibly formatting. I could abuse this easily. Ten hour clips on youtube embeded in a single vertical stack. Multi-megapixel long transparent GIFs causing scrollbar hell. Nuero-linguistic programs that fuck your mind like a fresh squid. Eye raping color schemes using ascii full-width blocks. Images or links to images of things that can not be unseen. Anything called "epilepsy" dot SWF. This is what I want to do. I am not a good person. I just know that would be a flagrant display of disrespect. I'll wait until I can get away with it.
fluffco™ LLC takes no responsibility for anything, ever, at all, under any circumstances and is entirely fictional outside Colorado.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:38 am
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
I love fresh pecans, however, that's about it.

I can't imagine them being expensive. As I said, they're literally just free at parks and such. Used to live in a trailer park with hundreds of the trees... one fell on my trailer.

Bubba wrote:

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
I'll be honest and say I'm not sure I'd eat anything that grew in a trailer park. I've lived in several and can't imagine the "crops" being "organic." Unless we're talking about weed which I would till stay away from because I don't even want to imagine the bullshit that goes on.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:37 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
They were naturally occurring trees. Can't see how they're not organic.

Bubba wrote:

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
"Organic" means that they subsist on things you'd not mind having rubbed on you, for the most part. I've seen fuckers dump jugs of anything rancid you can imagine at the base of trees from rotted milk to oil/antifreeze mixes. Maybe my experiences aren't universal but to me "trailer park" means "these people don't care about what they do to the things around them because they see everything as a toilet."

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
In any case, pecans are fairly expensive around here, but all foods are a lot cheaper in areas where they naturally grow or otherwise exist. Up where my brother is, lobster is extremely cheap, for instance.

I used to hate most nuts, but slowly have developed a taste for, or at least a tolerance for, most it seems (first peanuts, then cashews, and so on, which granted the early ones are not considered actual nuts). I probably still can't stand them IN other foods, as I've tried that a few times and whenever I bite into something that has nuts in them, even ones I really like, something about it just causes problems for me. That also may be why I thought I didn't like some of the nuts for so long, since the last time I tried a pecan (2 years ago maybe?) it was in a pecan pie. Couldn't do it.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:47 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
I agree. I despise nuts in food that is not just nuts. I'll make a pecan pie exception

Bubba wrote:

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
PKB, you may be the first person I've met that understand me on that point. I've tried working through it, one time I decided it must be just a silly psychological thing from when I was a child and it can't be a big deal now. Couldn't do it, not even for a peanut butter chocolate cheesecake (that apparently had whole peanuts in it which they didn't list as such when I got it).

The only exception I guess I can make is for something like Cashew Chicken or other stir fry like dishes cooked with cashews, but that's because I can essentially eat the cashews separated from the rest of the food.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
I can't imagine enjoying biting into something, and suddenly finding a new texture out of no where. I find that has to be an evolutionary adaptation, as far as I'm concerned.

Bubba wrote:

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Honey or sugar roasting increases value, shelling also increases value.

Growing nuts is a gold mine, the only catch is nut trees are big, so you'd need acres of land, that and squirrels, ants and birds will ravage your crops, more than half of the good/best ones will end up half eaten splayed all over the ground under the tree.

Squirrels are the worst :black when it comes to nuts. it's why so many people in the south eat them.

so to max profits you would need a gigantic squirrel shield, or a gigantic white plastic tarp for a hydroponics greenhouse. it would need to be 50ft tall at least.

coconuts are also expensive, especially coconut milk and minced coconut.

other expensive tree based products include maple syrup, gum, plastic and fire starter (for all those pyromaniacs that like something sweet to chew during their green toxic chemical blaze setting frenzy).

Plexi-glass is some expensive shit in high demand, usually more than $100 a square meter. just need sand, sugar, plant juice an oven and acid.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]