Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Been listening to even edgier health ideas lately 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Been listening to even edgier health ideas lately
Edgier than I used to, with probably less to back them up. It's just kinda interesting, though I don't know how credible or how much I believe a most of it. The big points I've been hearing:
1) Health is really about how your body interacts with light, electromagnetism and maybe gravity?
2) We need more of certain kinds of light, less of others.
3) EMFs from our various electronics screw with our hormones and such
4) Water is super important and does a lot more in the body than we think, and the right kinds of water do many good things.
5) DHA is super-vital important to you and your health as it makes the most important parts of the Brain and heart and nervous system and mitochondria or something and such. This is probably the most likely accurate of the claims.

A lot I've heard primarily from the corners of a Dr. Jack Kruse, from interviews with him mostly, and Gerald Pollack. Some reasonable arguments for them being either crack pots, decently scientific, or less 'unconventional, more marketing' than they claim to be are out there.

You guys heard of any of this stuff?

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:20 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
Post Re: Been listening to even edgier health ideas lately
To preempt this, I did a quick PubMed and Google Scholar search for Dr. Jack Kruse and he seems to have no credibility in the fields he's talking about. I found one paper by a different Jack Kruse as well as some other doctors. So due to the lack of papers despite being a "doctor", I want to say that he's a false authority. Then again, I don't have a vast library of resources to double check him. Pollack checks out, however, but I'm not concerned with him if he's the one interviewing Kruse.

1. Heard of it, but mostly from pseudo-scientists. If it's just how the body interacts with light, electromagnetism, and gravity, then we're missing a lot of other parts. What about how the body processes things? We can break that down into how it processes drugs, food, drink, and other substances. What about non-humans? Gravity has always had an effect on us, and it's a weaker force than, say, electromagnetism. This is why we don't see things like a pen on the desk start flying towards your body. We can only really observe the effects of gravity with bodies that have high mass.
2. That being said, he's begging the question in this next point, what are the different kinds of light? Which ones should we have more of? As far as I know, light is light. Now, I know there's different types of lighting in structures, but we're not addressing such. The funny part is, light is an electromagnetic wave, thus it's kind of redundant to specify it as something different.
3. Here's an article from the World Health Organization on this. Essentially, low level prolonged exposure shows no adverse effects, but higher exposure is generally restricted and scientists are looking into it. Though, due to its restrictions, you probably wouldn't encounter such exposure.
4. Well, water is important to life as we know it. It makes up a good portion of the human body's mass. I will agree, you should get the proper amount of water every day. That said, the right kind of water? Okay, as a chem guy, let me just say a couple things... One, you should not drink pure water. At least not a large amount (reason why being something to do with biology and osmosis I believe, bio is not my field). Second, you should not drink really impure water or dirty water, because that's potentially (probably) unhealthy in and of itself. However, water, or at least the water we consume, is impure to a small degree, as to not cause issues with our cells, but not so impure that it causes illness.
5. I don't do bio, so I won't tackle this one. Just doing a quick search on it gets most of those points. So, yes, it is important. Yet I have to ask the follow up question of "So what?" since, you know, this is just a claim and doesn't really tell me how to live healthier.

That's my take on it. Someone who knows biology can handle this better. Just did this for fun. :)

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]