Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Lame things I noticed about Operating Systems over time 
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Lame things I noticed about Operating Systems over time
Windows 98:
You leave it on too long, things get very very sticky. After awhile everything but the mouse freezes and then when you move the mouse it makes this really cute chirping noise.
Windows XP:
When you first turn it on, like everythings fucking blue and shit, and it's so fucking ugly you want to scoop your eye balls out with a spoon. Why? It doesnt look any better. Yeah, some people think it looks better. But personally, I think it's a eye sore.
Windows Vista:
Is the Windows ME of the NT world. There is absolutely nothing new in it. It's mostly Windows XP with some shit tacked on. Aeroglass is a nice touch, but pointless nonetheless.
OS X:
Takes forever to boot. By the time this bitch is finished booting, your popsicle reverted to its' previous state as a liquid fruit juice, plus, you're fucking dead because it took so long to boot. You keep forgeting windows are open, since the dock or whatever you call it, hides everything. The dock sits there and gets very distracting when the mouse strays near it.
There is nothing similar to a taskbar, which is stupid as hell, since that makes switching programs a royal pain in the ass. There is no right click, which also makes it annoying as hell, since it makes a simple 5 second task turn into a 20 second task of dragging the mouse up to the menu bar and doing the same thing... My first impression of it was that it felt like I was using windows 3.1. pain in my fucking ass.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:03 am
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Post Re: Lame things I noticed about Operating Systems over time
The real issue with most os is that the desighners try so hard to make the system user friendly that they end up looking over crucial bugs in the system, how ever In most cases 90% of the bugs are found in the initial release and can be fixed in the first or second patch.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand:
Regarding your comments:

Win98: I have NEVER had that happen to me.
WinXP: Yeah, but it's easy to fix, just get another theme, the silver one in XP looks cool.
Vista: Vista IS NOT XP! Vista has some changes on the inside compared to XP, and is also a lot less reliable.

OS X: Don't even get me started. OS X is :REESE

IMO, Windows > Linux > Mac-crack

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:19 pm
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
digit-all wrote:
Regarding your comments:

Win98: I have NEVER had that happen to me.
WinXP: Yeah, but it's easy to fix, just get another theme, the silver one in XP looks cool.
Vista: Vista IS NOT XP! Vista has some changes on the inside compared to XP, and is also a lot less reliable.

OS X: Don't even get me started. OS X is :REESE

IMO, Windows > Linux > Mac-crack

Windows 98 SE was very stable for me back in the days I used to 1999-2003. It ran great all day long and then suddenly my 98 computer would go spastic and everything will freeze and when you move the mouse you'll hear this burping beeping noise from the PC speaker.

Though this is probably because this was the dark ages before Firefox. I was using Internet Explorer and AIM (and it was probably AIMs fault, I dont remember why, but I just stopped using it all of a sudden one day)I remember when MS made IE 5.0. The new icon looked so pretty. I remember looking it one day for 5 minutes when my brother installed it without asking any of us.

As for my experience with OS X. I was staying at my friends place for awhile and she had a Ibook. And well, god, it took forever to load, she left it on most of the time and just closed the cover on the thing and let it sleep. I got used to it after awhile, it slows down your work flow. I like geting stuff done fast. So Id never use OS x for my everyday OS.

Even the silver theme on XP is ugly. I ussually switch the theme to Windows classic and use the rainy day theme. It's so calming and it doesnt hurt my eyes. I was actually tempted to change the themes on the PC I use at school(Though I think they might have a problem with me changing that, it might upset the next person assigned to that PC)

Windows XP SP1 was so buggy, you didnt even have to do anything with your system for it to contract digital herpies. Windows XP SP3 was awesome. It took good stuff from Windows Vista (the security updates, stability updates)

As for Windows Vista. It's very pretty and it doesnt take that long to boot. However, it does bizzar uptuse things. It provides nothing new over XP, except for being prettier, fatter, more unstable and having native support for playing DVD movies it seems.

I like Windows Vista's defualt theme. Though I dont think I really like the feeling of plunking down the change for the extra resources for the pointless fancy pretty visuel themes, no matter how pretty they are. I mean, god, I just use my PC to edit graphics, write emails, write posts on forums to weird people, letters and resumes and maybe the occasional obselete game for 5 minutes. Why do I need this prettyness? who cares.

Just another one of Microsofts manipulation schemes they where paid by the hardware firms to sell PC's. They're all in bed with each other. Arseholes.

And well, Linux. I've always been way too lazy to even try. Got a copy of Corel Linux at a yard sale for $2. About the only thing it had drivers for was my video card.

I thought it was neat how it used less pixels to draw jpeg images, they also looked sharper too. Though other than that I've always been severely unmotivated to even try using any form of linux. (have a copy of Fedora Core just collecting dust)

Mon May 25, 2009 3:44 pm
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
Hurrah for classic theme style in Windows XP. The modern "XP theme" is just shit, bulky, and a complete waste in general. The classic theme is definitely the way to go, especially since if you really wanted to, you could go through and customize the colors however you feel like it.

I've found that I like Ubuntu more and more lately. The only reason why I haven't switched over just yet is because I'm still fairly attached to having XP on my desktop, but Ubuntu is definitely really awesome to use. You should definitely find the motivation to give any distribution of Linux a try, though. You're really missing out.

Sun May 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand:
I have tried TurboLinux and I screamed, then I tried Ubuntu, too confusing...

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:02 am
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
Really, it seemed confusing? I suppose it does take some getting used to when you first start out, but that's the same with most. Ah well, to each his own, right?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:21 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand:
I might try LinuXP... a customized version of Ubuntu that's like XP...

And have you guys tried the XP noir theme? (google it)

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:34 am
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Well, by what I've herd Linux is not that hard to install and use anymore. Most of what people have trouble with is their so used to using a operating system (such as Windows)

That they perceive the other as being confusing. (This is probably why, my friend loves OS X because she spent most of her computer time using OS 9 back in the day, while I hate it because I'm accustomed to the way Windows is setup)

Though if you like command lines such as DOS, you'll love Linux since it gives you a lot of control over the system with different commands it has.

A lot of the confusion with Linux is the windowing system, forget what it's called. There's a big inconsistency thing going on there. So different screen elements do different things, while operating systems such as Windows, there are standards that keeps thing consistent, whether you're using a web browser such as Firefox or word procesing package such as Word.

A bunch of people sat down and decided to make design guidelines on what each keyboard shortcut does what. Notice how ctrl + a, ctrl + c, ctrl + x, the F5 key etc do similar things in different programs?This is no accident. They do this to make the software easier to learn and ultimetly easier to use.

Linux doesnt have this because it always was intended as server software/stuff done in a command line. The GUI and what not was a after thought. (in fact, it's kept very seperate, you dont even have to use a GUI in linux. Everything can be done in text mode.)

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:35 am
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Lime wrote:
I've tried all the popular Linux OSs and to be honest, they're really nice. the only downside is the programs. If i could find all the programs i use now and get them to run on Linux I would switch over very fast.

Well, there are GNU versions of popular software packages (Some even go as far to be totally compatible with the Windows version, like Open Office is to MS Office).

Some software designed for the win32 API can be run on Linux using WINE.

I think pretty much everything I use has a open source version. For MSN you have aMSN. Firefox is the exacly the same on Linux. If you're willing to learn GIMP, you can do pretty much everything photoshop can do (Though the interface is a little bit awkward)

As for things like Flash, or 3d rendering, I really doubt you can get Flash running on Linux. But there just may be a 3D rendering program.

Though keep in mind you can always run Windows in a virtual machine. I say this in theory.

Though even so I am still not motivated to switch over to linux because Windows works fine most of the time, unless you fuck it up. People who have trouble with their Windows machines obviously done something stupid or they arent seeking help with apparent software or hardware problems with their machines. A lot of the problems people have with their windows computers are very easy to fix/prevent.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]