Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Thinking of buying some computer parts 
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Thinking of buying some computer parts
I'm thinking of buying some computer parts to build a new computer. At this point in time I have a motherboard, I think it's a Asus P5RD2-vm or something, bought it 3 years ago and havnt used it (had other stuff to do). It's a micro atx board and it It uses cpu LGA775 and has two DDR2 slots supporting up to 2 GB of memory. I also have a ATX 2.0 power supply, but it's cheap and doesnt have as much voltage as Id like it to have. I was thinking of building a computer with it with these specs:

Celeron D CPU
2 GB memory
512 mb PCI-e video card
Three SATA hard drives
IDE DVD/CD-RW combo drive
Dual boot:
Windows Vista Basic
Ubunto

Budget: $500-$700

And well, I was thinking of geting a dual-core CPU. Since they've gotten pretty cheap since I got this board because of quad core and what not. I dont play games much, though even though the CPU I was thinking of geting sucks, it's more than enough to play the games I want to play.

So what do you guys think? I'm open to suggestions. I ussually only buy a tiny bit more than what I need. I think the most hardware intensive thing I do on the computer is watch AVI videos and I can do that fine on a Pentium 3.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:42 pm
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
Post Re: Thinking of buying some computer parts
Just a correction: Ubuntu.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
How much of this do you already have?
When I upgraded my stuff about a year ago it cost me around $400 (would have been less if I bothered with the rebates, actually), and I put together a system better than that outline in most respects minus the hard drives (I don't recall getting new hard drives, but I may have, if I did it was only 1 though). Granted, I already had a pretty good Power Supply so i didn't need that, and I'm still using my old case I got much longer ago. You should probably also factor in a decent Heatsink too though, ones that come with processors are alright, but its generally better for the long run to get a better one and your own thermal paste (I generally use some type of silver paste, though it seems some companies are now including that anyway).

Of course, the most expensive thing on that list is likely Vista, ya know, and I obviously just stuck with Ubuntu when I constructed my system, so I cut down costs alot.

In any case, why not just go for a dual core? They are becoming a lot cheaper, especially since the i7 came out. The one I got is currently only $70 at factory 2.5 Ghz, and is great for easy overclocking much higher (I actually am running it rather underclocked at the moment, as I don't need to push it right now and my computer is running a bit warm due to being kept in a hot room). Dual core of anything will really last you alot longer. Yea, there are good points about the capabilities of a high clocked single core and such, but as more stuff begins to really utilize the dual core, it'll be worth it to have. Of course, that also means you'll need to get a new motherboard, but thats not necessarily bad either, since they've got some great new motherboard technology advances in the last few years so that you can get a kinda cheap motherboard that is far more durable and better with heat management than most things a few years ago.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:55 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Yeah, like geting a dual or more core CPU would make a lot of sense, since well, even though they are over kill now, in a few years time software will catch up and be multithreaded in a way to take advantage of those cores.

The parts I have are:

An ATX 2.0 PSU 300 watts
Motherboard support LGA775 and DDR2 memory, PCI-e, SATA and IDE, intergrated video
A mid-tower clone case

The parts I've yet to obtain:

CPU
RAM
Video card (Might get a better video card even though the intergrated video is aero capable)
Sound card (might get one of these since those amps in those intergrated sound are ussually weak)
DVD/CD-RW drive
Operating system (Though I was thinking of using Windows 2k/XP temporarily)

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:18 am
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Well, if you want to do a good upgrade, I would say you definitely need higher watt power supply. Obviously with that socket mother board you can already put in a dual core (depending on which you want). I don't know about the sound on that particular model of mother board, but I've found on-board sound cards are pretty nice now, sometimes I wonder why they even still make separate sound cards, but I suppose they offer some extra quality/benefit.
You definitely WILL want a good heat sink too though.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:09 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Yeah like the power supply is the most important part of the computer. I only got that thing because I needed a PSU and I didnt have much money. And at the time my computer didnt have much hardware in it so I could get away skimping on the voltage.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]