Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Lorian Chronicles [Public Demo Phase] 
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
Post The Lorian Chronicles [Public Demo Phase]
"It is time, Ortza, we must now free those set to be reborn. It has been... too long. Truthfully, I hadn't expected that we'd be this far flung into the future. I've already scouted the area out. The world hasn't changed much since our time, and yet, to me, these people seem happier.

... We are sorry, for we did not think it would ever occur. Your world is no longer prosperous. No matter, those who chose to be reborn, will, and others, the legacies of their ancestors will be realized.

Come, it is time to complete the rebirth cycle. It is time for them to meet the world of Lorias. It is time for a new tale to be told."

The Lorian Chronicles

Welcome, one and all, to the public demo of The Lorian Chronicles. Being that this is a public demo, it is still in a test phase. Further, you will each be able to download a text-only copy of the core rule book, though the final release will include supplementary rule books as well, such as monster manuals, the book of religions, and so on.

All progress made in the public demo will be carried over to the official release. Do note that some systems may be altered slightly in that time, and it is best that you check back.

Furthermore, while we have two artists working on it, any others who are willing to contribute their artwork will be credited and potentially paid depending on what is negotiated.

Thank you for your participation, your encouragement, and your time. Please enjoy the public demo of The Lorian Chronicles.

Fixes List from Public Demo
If you have any to add to this list, message me directly.
Spoiler: show
    -Fixed differences between some skill descriptions and skill entries.
    -Clarified some leveled skill details.
    -Punctuation and typo fixes.
    -Allowed one extra skill point in vocations when a racial knowledge overlaps a vocational knowledge. This skill point can only be used on a skill that has a +1 bonus or is traded for.
    -Added missing facilities.
    -Added missing info on stamina. Stamina is an optional system that techniques and physical tasks use in place of will. It is up to the GM to decide if their campaign uses it.
    -Added explanation of defense.
    -Added explanation of attack.
    -Added full stat descriptors.
    -Added citizen types.
    -Added about, warning, and idea text boxes to help players.
    -Added random events table.
    -Added optional rule checklist.
    -Added crime and bounty hunting.
    -Added new knowledges and vocations.
    -Added a basic character sheet. Not recommended for use as it includes all possible stats and the like one can have in a very non-compact format.
    -Experience rebalances for all armor skills.
    -All races are now capable of surviving normal heat.
    -The acrobatics skill was added. Dodge now falls under this skill. Acrobatics affects your jump ability and even lets you deflect ranged attacks or use them as platforms.
    -The deadlock technique was added for Martial Arts 1.
    -Attack base values were migrated together for magic weapons, fists, and whips.
    -Organized certain skills better.
    -Auto-blocking was added.
    -If you have Blocking 5, you can freely chain into Counter immediately on a successful block.
    -Critical hits were added as a part of athletics.
    -Dodges were buffed to hit as high as 40% from 35%, with 20% passive maximum.
    -Ranged damage was separated from melee damage and given its own rules.
    -Added a section on NPC intimacy/romance.
    -Added a section on making enemy encounters.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Post Re: The Lorian Chronicles [Public Demo Phase]
"You are not a Meridian. You are not a follower of our faith. You have never once considered the validity of our order..."

The girl remained kneeling in the audience chambers, her shoulder-length hair shadowing her pearly skin and blue eyes.

"... Yet we have heard of your exploits, and we sympathize with what has happened to you and your family. Perhaps... Something within yourself has brought you to us. Or, maybe it was fate that brought you here."

"Fate?" The girl's deep tone questioned, "There is no fate in this world, only consequence."

"No matter, your training will begin tomorrow. Best get some sleep."

The words of Misha's mentors echoed through her mind. They were only eight years ago yet they were still as fresh as the dew that greets the morning. In those years she trained among the Mer of Avonia, high in the mountains, protected from beast and drake alike by sheer cliffs, high winds, and a fleet of people born to slay dragons. Misha had lived as a monk from a young age, training her body and mind to heal the world and find her place. Though from Vel-Da-Ir, her training would be cut short.

Despite the setbacks she faced, she was finally ready. She had been keen to follow her studies, to set forth on a journey to right the wrongs of those who would do wrong to the world, and to hopefully bring peace to herself.

When she was called, she stepped up to the master, accepting a scroll from the young head monk in white robes. He smiled at Misha and gave her a few words before she stepped back, "I look forward to one day hearing of your exploits, Miss Misha."

"I hope to one day have exploits worth hearing." She replied.

She turned and knelt back at her pillow alongside the other monk graduates of Avonia's Mer Temple, a massive structure formed from elegantly refined marble, granite, and gold. They sat in the chamber of kings, were two statues stood, each depicting the key gods of the Merfolk; Mik-Ka-El and Phi-Le-Na. Misha couldn't help but marvel every time she was near the statues, and remembered in her youth how she'd vow to surpass him. Perhaps she would.

When the graduation ceremony concluded, Misha packed up her belongings; A small sum of 500 Legeniums, her various undergarments and cosmetics, a mess kit, and a water bottle, her black belt, substituting it for her favourite hand-made pink belt to match her tunic and leggings, and of course, her sakkat and tonfa. She made the bed and took one last look at her living quarters before closing the door and turning in her key. From this point on, she had one goal; Become as strong as she could, and the strongest fighter in all of Lorias.

Upon exiting Avonia proper and then the lower walls, she asked the Meridian Seraphs posted outside for directions to Vel-Da-Ir. Due east. Though, the only bridge was south, and so she would go southwards first, and then north-east through the eastern portion of the Meridian Grasslands. No roads guided her, only intuition and gut. If she had to be honest, it was quite exciting, unlike when she first set out. She spotted the bridge in question and made her way across. Unfortunately for her, she wasn't making the best of time. By this time it was already noon.

"I guess it's true, roads do make it easier to travel." She thought to herself before taking a drink. Even crossing the bridge was less than ideal since the wood felt like it was just about ready to give out beneath her feet. She hoisted her backpack up again and continued. She had the option of trying to climb over the mountains, but that would likely take days to deal with, not to mention the greater threats lurking in said mountains. Instead, she opted to travel down the forest. What could a few bats and wild animals do anyways? Besides, if she chose to avoid nests, they wouldn't be a bother. Fairly solid logic in her mind.

What she never accounted for were non-animal dangers. Namely, bandits.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Crast awoke from his slumber in the forest among his lackeys. They were a lot that had ditched the notions of society and made their own group of bandits. Drinking, gaming, eating, sleeping. If they happened on a caravan, maybe looting.

"Maybe." He repeated to himself.

"Hasn't been a caravan in days, and we're all out."

At least, those were his dreams. Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for anyone who crossed his path, while he hadn't succeeded in traditional society, he didn't succeed as a bandit either. If it wasn't a branch that broke at just the wrong moment, it was someone tripping and tumbling down a hill, someone losing sight of the target, or worse yet, they themselves losing their valuables to the caravan.

"It has to stop though!" He exclaimed with an angry expression, "I'm sick of losing! I want to win, damn it!"

Footsteps rushed to them, and a third lackey appeared.

"Someone's coming! Alone, too! We can take her easily!"

Crast's brown eyes widened with excitement as he grabbed his twin machetes. The other goons following him readied their weapons and jumped into the trees, prepared to start an ambush. He himself would take point on the road, donning a helmet he happened across one day in his previous bandit gang.

"Man, don't people know how to travel these days?" He pondered to himself a moment before heading to the bend in the road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Misha was approaching the bend in the road when she saw the man, standing well close to six feet tall holding a palm out with his hand on his blade.

"Halt! Road's closed. Drop everything you have and you can pass." The man with slicked back beige hair announced. Misha looked him over and laughed a little to herself.

"Really? You must be kidding. Look bud, I don't know who taught you to fight, but that's no way to handle your gear."

"excuse me?" Crast questioned, puzzled at the girl's statement.

"Look, if you want to rob people, you gotta be prepared..." Misha began. Before stating anything further, she was already at Crast's neck with her tonfa drawn. He desperately tried reaching over his shoulder to draw at least one of his machetes, but his blades were attached far too low for him to reach. Added to that was the pressure on his neck from the blade which pressured him even more to concede.

"See? You should spend less time daydreaming about Legeniums and actually take some lessons."

"B-Bah! I don't need lessons from some chick!" He shouted reaching for Misha's lower body.

That was when Crast realized the even bigger error he made.

"... Wait a minute..."

"Yeah. You don't need to be a master of anatomy to understand the error of that statement." Misha confirmed, "Oh, and you should tell your friends to back off too, otherwise this blade's going to cut you a bit too deep for your personal well-being."

"Urk...!" Crast grunted, "F-Fine! You win... We'll give you passage this once."

"Ah ah ah, that's not all now. For being a sexual predator, I'm going to have to have some money and food."

"W-We have none!" Crast admitted, now crying slightly.

"None? Well... How about information. Any idea of, say... Treasures or rumours about the area? Or on the way to Vel-Da-Ir?" Misha prodded, both figuratively with words and literally with her blade.

"W-Well... There's a witch trial going on..."

"Witch trial? Isn't Vel-Da-Ir under rule of the Velians? I thought the Lumbraic Order was cast out of that town thousands of years ago."

"It's true... But the Lumbraic Order called for an inquisition! All the priests of Velian Orthodoxy and even the grand shogun Hiroko is being put to the cross!"

Misha's heart dropped and her face went pale in that instant. Even though she was cast out, and even though her parents suffered at the hands of the unjust ideals of the people, she felt a deep responsibility grow inside her to do the right thing. She couldn't just let the Lumbraic Inquisition kill innocents, and for what? For the use of magic? For being but partially human? For being something outside the norm and one who grows against the grain?

"What's your name?" Misha asked, demandingly.

"Crast..." The bandit meekly responded.

"You're no bandit. You're a damn hero now. Come with me to Vel-Da-Ir. If you help me, we'll fill your stomach and coin pouch. Theirs too, because you're bringing your friends."

"Y-Yes ma'am." Crast said with discouragement.

"Hey! Pick up the attitude. I'm not screwing around. We're saving that town." Misha demanded, "How long until we can make it there?"

"Probably a day... With a good night's rest and preparation." He responded.

"Not good enough. We're going there now. Pick up whatever you all can carry and we'll head over right now."

Misha did not listen to any objections in that moment. Crast shrugged when she began picking up what few goods they all had set around the area and began to help out. It looked like Crast would have to put his unsuccessful bandit career on hold until further notice. He figured anyways that it would be best to see what Misha had in mind, and maybe they'd all have full bellies for once. Maybe then he'd no longer be so unlucky, maybe he would have that house he had dreamed of in the countryside.

"Maybe." He uttered to himself.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
As the voices faded from the forest clearing the smalltime thugs had used as a temporary hideout, the soil near some retchweed shifted and a single reedflower shifted against the soil, the wind humming almost silently across the gap. As the last of their footsteps faded, the ground shifted and a man in a dirt-colored cape stood up. His eyes were blindfolded, and a length of reeflower stem dangled from his mouth. His face was lined with age, but his stance was that of a veteran warrior as he silently stood up, letting his skin serve as his ears - sensing the vibration of the others fading. A whitebug scurried away from his face as he smiled.

Vel-Da-Ir. He had heard the skilled fighter say it clearly, and the fumbling thief agree to show her the way. This far from home, even his careful maps prepared at home were more confusing squiggles and landmark references than showing a real direction. To hear that he was close to his objective made him glad he had trusted his instincts.

He quickly clambered up a tree, and into the branches - where the foliage gave him some cover from possible enemies. Listening to the birdsong from here, he managed to get a general handle of where the fighter and her cohort were headed. He wouldn't follow too closely, and instead chose to quietly leap from tree to tree just as he had practiced back home, listening to the changing tune of the birds in the forest as they alerted their fellows to the passage of humans and using it as a guide. He would go ahead once visual contact was established with the city proper, but for now - he recalled his sensei's teachings.

"Always assume the target you're tracking is aware of your pursuit. Stay downwind, and use traces of their passage to track them. The flowers, herbs, birds, the insects and the beasts of the world will serve as your guides. Avoid visual contact - assume that they are aware that you're on their tail."

For now, he would remain far behind - letting the grousing bandit wannabe and his cohorts light literal signal flares for him. If he was forced into combat, he could silence the thieves, but there was something about that fighter - if push came to shove, he'd be in for a hard fight, and with his guides slain, he'd be back to square one - having to rely on his own senses to find Vel Da Ir.

---

"Are you sure you're fine with going alone?" the shaman asked him as they walked past the boundary of the village. "I know you've mastered survival, but what if-"

"Trust me, obaasan." he replied back. "If too many warriors go with me, it'll make for slower traveling - and an enemy might be able to trace us back to this hidden village. You said that the Blighted Light attacked Vel Da Ir, right?"

"Yes..."

"Then, there is no time to lose. The maps I have should be a sufficient guide."

"The world may have changed much since you chose to rest, however..."

"I'll find a way, obaasan."

"Ah, if only the Keeper of Secrets could transport you safely..." the shaman shook her head. "But even now he recovers from his terrible injuries. I think, if you make haste - you can manage to aid them as they aided us. And when you do..."

"Hm?"

"Send my warmest regards to Hiroko, won't you?"

"Hiroko? As in... Hajima Hiroko?"

"Indeed, that's her." the shaman smiled, her face folding into wrinkles at the memory. "Her special gift... has allowed her to survive for longer than you have lived - last I met her a hundred score years ago, though."

-

He recalled how the klutz thief mentioned that Hiroko was to be put to the cross by a 'witch trial'. Whatever it was, it didn't sound good. He gritted his teeth in annoyance as he began to carefully move, mimicking that of a chameleon as he made his way carefully through the canopy layer - he had to get to this so-called trial, and put his defense attorney skills to the test once again.

4 pcs.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
((Updated the public demo. Give it a look-see.))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The group made it to the outskirts of the mountainous city by midnight. Crast was not used to such arduous methods of travel, but with the bandit's assistance, they did manage to avoid untimely demise. Misha herself could see the rising smoke from the town square, even in this darkness that blanketed Vel-Da-Ir, and knew it was already beginning.

The group peered over the city walls from a cliff-face, avoiding the crusaders at the gateways from afar and closing in. The group took to rooftops to make their way towards the town square.

"Twenty, maybe thirty crusaders..." Misha reasoned and communicated with Crast. He gave thought to the situation at hand as a knight lit the fires on another unfortunate innocent.

"I'M NOT A WITCH!" She screamed as the flames licked at and consumed her body, the scent of burning flesh filling the immediate air. Misha and Crast made a move for an alleyway and took to strategizing with the others.

Misha had a troubled look on her face, "Why would the Lumbraic Church make a move on Vel-Da-Ir?"

"Probably to eliminate Velian Orthodoxy and to gain access to the palace gold." Crast figured, rubbing his chin.

"Running in is pointless and we don't have any opportunities." Misha began to speak. Just as she said so, a clamor of footsteps came from the other end of the alley. Two crusaders approached as the group ducked into the shadows. The knights passed on by, musing to themselves.

"Could've sworn I heard something..."

Misha got behind one and Crast the other, knocking them out in a quick blunt attack with their weapon pommels.

"Scratch that, here's a perfect opportunity." She mused, quickly attempting to disassemble their armor and stuff their bodies into some nearby barrels. She turned to Crast and he was nodding as well. "I know where my former school keeps its weapons. If I can move freely over there, can you stall the inquisitors in the square?"

Crast nodded, donning a helmet, "Smart thinking, let's begin!" He turned to his companions and issued an order, "You two, try and keep us safe from being caught. Knock out some guards, take their money even."

"Aye sir." One stated, splitting up with Misha and Crast, both taking to the rooftops to avoid detection.

Misha walked through the streets wearing a helmet and gambeson, a red cape on her back like the other crusaders. It was plenty easy to blend in. She made her way to the school and entered the gate. Unfortunately for her, two guards stood at the entryway.

"Is it time for a shift change already?" One voiced, "Where's your partner."

"Ah, he's currently relieving himself." Misha lied.

"But you're to stay with your partner... You're no crusader!"

In that moment the bandit companion descended on the second one as Misha knocked off the helmet of the inquisitive crusader. She round-housed the man quickly but lost her own helmet in the motion. No matter, she opened the door and ran for the room in question. She gathered what few weapons were able to be carried along with her companion and ran outside. Within a few minutes she was in the town square, and snuck behind a rather large cage.

"Who are you?" The white-haired woman whispered, her red eyes reflecting the torchlight surrounding the pyre. Though her hair was white, she had not a sign of aging. Indeed, it was the shogun of Vel-Da-Ir, Hiroko Hajima.

"You may not remember me, your excellency, but I'm here to free you..." Misha stated, passing a weapon through the bars, a wooden sword for practice. Hiroko smiled, gripping the blade.

"Then you'd best be prepared, we begin shortly."

Crast noticed Misha speaking to Hiroko and smiled, "... Well, no matter..."

He drew his blade, as did Hiroko, who, with only a practice blade, sliced through the metal bars with such skill and tossed the heavy cage top overhead and onto an approaching group of crusaders. Misha and Crast rid themselves of the heavy armor and prepared themselves for battle.

"Now, who wants some?" The bandit and the monk beckoned.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
(The blindfold has been shifted into a bandanna.)

The woman was good. The bandit underlings, inexperienced as they were - followed through well. Using the opening they had smashed open in the defenses, he slipped in unseen and unknown into the town. Halfway past the wall, he took a quick left - having seen something on his approach. As his padded feet made silent steps up the staircase, he saw his mark - an archer who had walked in to see the intrusion and now was nocking a steel-headed arrow to bring down the woman...

His fist found the back of the wiry archer's head, his plumed helmet flying off, the arrow shooting loose and clattering to the stonework floor as the wet sound of bone breaking sounded through his arm. Unable to even scream with the spinal cord forcefully smashed into his windpipe, the bowman fell off the fortification - ending his suffering with a wet splatch as his head met flagstone at terminal velocity. Ducking down, he carefully looked through the fortifications to see if he had been spotted. This side of the wall was silent, and after a quick inspection, he plucked the helmet off the ground and put it on his head as he began to walk, bow in hand towards the east - a cursory inspection would make him look just like the archer he had just silenced. As he walked on, he spotted a side road where several warriors were held in stakes. If his defense attorney skills weren't up to par - without Mikkael and Philena to help him out, he would need an ace up his sleeve.

-

"So, any last words, pagans?" the inquisitor smiled as he spat in the face of the prisoner.

The samurai bound to the stakes, and his mouth stuffed with filthy rags only shifted against his bonds silently - but his eyes spoke all; hatred. Behind him, the ashigaru, similarly tied to stakes, only stared without even groaning or pleading.

"So, I guess that's a confession of guilt." he laughed as he raised his mace, and his two paladin cohorts chuckled at his lead. "May Lumbra show you mercy, for I won't!"

That was when an arrow hit the woodwork to the left of the inquisition with a heavy *thonk*, drawing the eyes of all to it. The samurai's eyes widened as he saw a blur leap from the wall, a tempered wakizashi flashing in the gloom of the alleyway for a split second as it buried itself to the hilt in the skull of the Inquisitor, the force of the impact popping out an eyeball which bounced off like an obscene child's toy.

(In Olde Lorian) "You call yourselves crusaders, yet you're so cowardly you can't attack a warrior unless you have them hogtied? Is that what you're good for? Murdering defenseless civilians?"

"Demon! A demon!" One of the paladins scrambled for his mace - his inexperience clearly visible as he fumbled in the dark. The other had a little more nerve and leaped back as she went for her own weapon.

Drawing his blade from the skull of his second victim and giving it a shake to clear the blade of the grey matter that now clung to it, he faced the two - clearly amateurs in armor - paladins.

(In Olde Lorian) "Come, you cretins. I shall show you absolute terror."

Battle - vs 2 amateur Paladins!
Paladin 1 is fumbling for his mace!
Paladin 2 steps to the back row as she pulls out her own mace!

4 pcs.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
((Updated. Give it a download. Try it out.))

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]