Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Logic: Making a non-hosted Chat 
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Logic: Making a non-hosted Chat
this logic is for a sorta neocities style site.

for those who don't know, I tried and almost succeeded in making a simple text chat message box on neocities. problem? they forbid scripts from saving to a text file on the server. without a middle point of reference other users cannot see whats been typed.

a simple fix is to use a script to write a simple textfile to the user's PC thus saving the contents of the chat locally. this can then be loaded and modified each time that user loads the page.

problem; other users still can't see eachother's messages so it's kinda moot point. but it's progress.

the best way to solve this dilema is to create a chat relay server off the website on the site dev's computer. set it to listen and have the website check for the server at a given IP address. the server could realistically save and relay messages even if users are offline. But changing the server IP would have to be done manually. so every time the site dev's machine changes it's IP address the site dev will have to log-in and update the script.

sadly there is no way around this. but it's good enough.

thats basic chat relay logic in a nutshell.

to include images you'd have to create a form which updates a scroll-barred frame rather than a standard text box. and messages would have to have markers in front and behind for the code to distinguish starts and stops of data segments and type. for text it'd just update a .txt file. but for any other document the server would have to make a new file and append the recieved message as binary and save then leave a log in the chat .txt document stating the file name and location with a detectable wrapper..

when a user views the message the server will then send the file's binary data with wrappers to the client, and the client will create a local copy of the file and link it locally into their own chat .

for flash, the only difference for a flash file is the client would have to do an extra operation of adding a javascript SWFObject wrapper around the file for display.

for non-displayable/visible files, a difference is the client would not be sent the file on message view. instead a simple hyperlink would be placed where when clicked it runs a script to request the file to be copied from the server. then saves what it gets back locally.

this is the full logic for one channel.

to make multiple channels the server will likely need a folder named per channel for ease of use.

managing chat storage is a different thing entirely. that would be done with another script which will check a file's creation date and time and delete anything over a certain set limit. or a log by user name that created a file limiting each user to so much storage. or a time record limiting a user so many messages/bytes per minute.

any questions about this logic? ask. who knows I may have messed something up somewhere.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.

Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Location: PEARL HARB☠R!!! QUELL (PRETENSE OF) INSTIGATIONS (WARMONGERING), USURPATION, AND COUPS!
Group: Registered users
Post Re: Logic: Making a non-hosted Chat
Neocities being anti-geocities? Anti-freedom? What the hell? Now, even the open source and/or digital freedom goods/services are turning their backs for the nameless and faceless corporations? Tis a sad tale, indeed!

But yeah, why not we test it?

Other than the chat, I recall that there were terminal like irc clients, like unix-like. Maybe that would be the best in progress? I'm going to look into terminal like irc clients. I don't care how old it is. The fact that it might hold relevancy is what counts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ChoSh.jpg, resident alien generation? Wow!
_
Regurgitator monster to be resumed
whatissk/moonie/washingtontimes=anti-armistice nazi instigator-usurper/tyherantno parasite/censorship/anti-neutrality embargo/siege fallen cheonson-ilminismist/ilminazmist/merciless 'they live' mein kampf machine/kal_flight_007 self-victimization
nsfw
Spoiler: show
Fraud Alert Renewal Month: 03, 06, 09, and 12
My ZDoom mods
Viva Le Resistance! (threat: see ☠Image☠ below...)
Metal tracking mods
sfw
Spoiler: show
https://archive.org/download/for_jihad_monsters/Lightning%20Exclusive%20Nasheed%20By%20Ahmad%20Al-Muqit.mp3

Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Post Re: Logic: Making a non-hosted Chat
RV-007 wrote:
Neocities being anti-geocities? Anti-freedom? What the hell? Now, even the open source and/or digital freedom goods/services are turning their backs for the nameless and faceless corporations? Tis a sad tale, indeed!

Well, geocities back in the day didn't let scripts either. It was during the yahoo era that it became a thing.

RV-007 wrote:
But yeah, why not we test it?

Other than the chat, I recall that there were terminal like irc clients, like unix-like. Maybe that would be the best in progress? I'm going to look into terminal like irc clients. I don't care how old it is. The fact that it might hold relevancy is what counts.

[/quote]
I look forward to your success.

4 pcs.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]