Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Thinking inside the box, where PCs fail. 
Level 17
Level 17

Cash on hand:
Group: Catgirl Saviours Club
Post Thinking inside the box, where PCs fail.
So I was always an out of the box thinker. I loved breaking the rules. Give me a puzzle, and I'd fuck with it.
But there was always a logic to it all. A way that everything worked together. Things didn't just "happen" they happened based on if they were possible. I just found the most unthought of ways to work with it.

Now I first started non PC gaming around the GBA. Even later I learned how to hack the PSP, and the wii. It was easy stuff but it was a start. But soon I started to realize that these systems were far from perfect. They had limitations that PCs didn't have. Where on a PC you can do anything you think of, on a console or handheld you had to think about these limitations. And because of that games try to make themselves better and better on those limitations. Skyrim is running on the same hardware that Oblivion was DESIGNED for. Uncharted 2 is a huge step up from Uncharted, yet they were both made specifically for the same hardware. Hacking taught me how they worked this out and how to expand the tech usage.

Where PCs will always look better, most games are designed to push CONSOLES not PCs. This makes them able to utilize coding and tech better. Games that are designed to push PCs are rare, but treat them like consoles and are better for it(Witcher 2, Crysis). I'm not saying PCs are bad, I'm just saying that people rarely make games FOR them. They just advance what has been made. If we were to treat PCs like consoles and design to expand the limitations or the programs we make for them in the same way, we'd make much better products.

BTW this isn't about coding it's about tech performance. Mostly graphically or functionally.

Storytelling is my true love.
I Thought of all of these statements in an instant.
I improv so well not improving is like retarding myself.
BLAH BLAH BLAH Pretentious crap, references, jokes, and contrary statements.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm
Level 17
Level 17

Cash on hand:
Group: Catgirl Saviours Club
Post Re: Thinking inside the box, where PCs fail.
Also despite this largely being game examples, I think it applies to programming in general so I put it in no spam. You can find an argument saying almost the opposite that we have to find smart uses for crappy technology rather than pushing the boundaries of what it can do technically on the JSJ thing I wrote in gaming. That's more game related though.

Storytelling is my true love.
I Thought of all of these statements in an instant.
I improv so well not improving is like retarding myself.
BLAH BLAH BLAH Pretentious crap, references, jokes, and contrary statements.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 am
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
Post Re: Thinking inside the box, where PCs fail.
Only a small percentage actually supports the latest technologies on the PC and so far I've heard of no game actually using tessellation. We're basically waiting for everyone to get directX 11 supporting hardware before we want to start developing for it.
The xbox 360 uses really outdated versions of directx (XNA uses a compatibility version of DirectX 9) meaning everyone who has an xbox 360 supports all their games.

It is also considered harder and is more expensive to hack a console and download/burn games while keeping online access than what it is to just download and play on a pc. Knowing this, the publishing corporations being the greedy assholes they are, ask for console games only to minimize piracy and ensure profit.

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:23 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]