Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Theory paper: Depression and its link to today's trends. 
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Post Theory paper: Depression and its link to today's trends.
Do you remember the days of yore when you could board a sloop, sail off into the sea of the Internet and accomplish your dreams, without spending a dime? Say you wanted to make games, or draw stuff. Nothing held you back - put enough effort into it, and you came out successful. It was the age of possibility, the age of dynamic creation.

Possibility motivates people - and with it personal development can become more concrete and measurable. It's pretty much the equivalent of Morpheus telling them that their dreams can be real. All they had to do is try. Driven by this knowledge, people have made amazing things. From vast superstructures in minecraft, to entire game series made for free, people made games for free... not for financial recompense or because someone told them to - but because they could.

Much like Nike’s highly popular running app, which encouraged users to set personal running goals, track activities, find new running routes and share the results with friends, you were able to build your own dreams - and share the wonder with your friends, whoever you choose them to be. The more skilled helped the newcomers, and the newcomers were willing to learn. Motivation, morale and willpower was high. Depression, loss of motivation and other malicious diseases were unknown.

However, the so-called 'modern computers' of today, deny us the same dreams we shared in the world. Instead of giving superior performance, they are built on minimalistic architecture that reminds us of the 8086 processors of yore to save production costs. Instead of opening new realms of possibility, these computers are literally designed to be a 'trophy', and nothing more. Much like a model boat, when you needed something full-size. In fact, the 'latest' operating systems have trouble running software made by freelancers; one of the sole reasons why the PC has been the master race for more than a decade.

In fact, I believe that's why there's been a rise in depression over the last 2 years. People denied their dreams and forced to stick to a society they despise soon start suffering from depression, malaise and loss of all motivation to do anything. People wanted to have the 'newest model', end up being bamboozled and stuck with a rowboat with a gash on its side. And it's painful to admit to that fact;- it's understandable that they don't want to be a target of ridicule. So they keep silent about it. The 'computer society' of today is more like a roomful of fraud victims too ashamed to talk about how badly they've been fleeced after all the trouble they went to save money by buying a bargain 'modern' system.

To this end, I believe that there are sinister forces a-brewing, determined to roll-back this age of creativity, and leave people with dysfunctional operating systems and hardware that is useless for anything more than taking overly-large pictures and browsing images, wondering at what could have been. It's the artistic equivalent of giving a talented artist a single crayon and a crumbly piece of over-expensive paper to work on.

And that forces the artist to think hard on whether the effort is worth it - and more often than not, ends up abandoning the dream, claiming that it's not worth it. Sure, these 'tablets' and 'lightweight laptops' are mobile - you can take them anywhere; but what can you truly do with them?

The answer is... nothing much.

And that's terriburu.

-Dr. Yomuchan, PhD (Permanent Head Damage).
Institute of Research on Internet Troubles.

4 pcs.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Re: Theory paper: Depression and its link to today's trends.
Tablets and lightweight laptops are for most people who don't know a thing about computers outside of the basic things and only plan to use them for things like entertainment and typing. Though, I see where you're coming from, the technology should be getting better instead of staying stagnant.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:

Bank:
If we made new technology everytime we could, we'd need to learn how to use it or how to properly implement it.
I agree that we do not need to stay stagnant on technology, but we must be reminded that going far to fast, may be our own downfall at the end.
We need to proceed with some level of caution with what we create or even what we upgrade.

Also, most thing are already out there, but they are just testing everything out to see how dangerous everything we create really is.
Can't have hackers, hacking everything too easily and because everything is first tested on a military basis anyway.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Lord Cumdrops
Lord Cumdrops

Cash on hand:
Group: Gurren Doujin Brigade
You got another problem heading your way. There is a generation on its way out into the world, who grew up with dumbed down technology, who will in themselves be dumbed down. Agreed, things shouldnt progress too fast, but what they're doing Boa isnt something good. They are holding us down. Dumbing us down. "Holding our hands". 95% of all new tech and games that become commercialized these days are an insult to anything that stands for intelligence. And people are bying it, swallowing it whole due to how they percieve the world. A world THEY created, to make themselves more money.

Artists are being more than hampered, they are being prosecuted. The Indie trend in games and apps are right now in its peak. So why do only a select few make it through? We're talking about one in a hundred, if not less here! First off, people are spoiled. If someone makes something good enough, people stick with that and dont want anything else. Example: *A Battlefield player who has been dumbed down, hates on everything thats similar to BF just to keep BF on a pedestal. And he's trying to force it on others, when he can.* Now try imagining these kind of people (who do exist) in a circle of artists, or in a position that can affect an artist life (like a publisher). OR these so called friggin "shareholders" who doesnt know shit about the art but gets to decide about its fate anyways.

I mean..... that shit is crazy. Secondly, "overpopulation" and "standardization". There are just too much people out there, and they are trying to please them all at once, wich is completely retarded. You ALWAYS have a set audience, group or collection of groups that you aim for, lest you're asking to become a sellout and get bought off by EA, and produce one crappy game after another with one year in between until they lay you off because you are "not profitable". Standardization...... Everything is a mold. EA again is a "nice" example for this. Everything should follow a strict line of rules. The content creator goes to the big boss to say * To make this truly great, i need another year. Its not even close to be finished! Big Boss: No, remove all extra content and release it as it is. The rest we sell as DLC. * OR in the case of programs, as "updates". Friggin clowns.

Vast amounts of studios and producers of content jump this bandwagon, selling friggin DEMOS to people, and then selling them upgrades that eventually goes over the amount for the so called "original content".

Greed and stupidity rules today society. It used to only be greed, and the stupidity was being battled since it by then only were a bad habit and for some, a hobby. The fuck happened? Bloody sellouts, the whole lot of them. I used to respect game studios. Some film studios. I used to have respect for publishers, be it in games, music, film or otherwise. But today 90% of them just release crap. Loads of stinking putrid shit, for wich they want to get paid. And the 10% who have a chance to change the world, or keep up the standards, are being prosecuted and/or silenced. Those that I find, and those of the old age when they werent full of shit i preserve and spread the word about. Would i tell someone to listen to Iron Maidens modern songs? No, listen to an album from the 90s, just sayin'. Would i recommend starcraft 2 first and foremost to someone? Fuck no, play SC1 first, then SC2 "But dude, these lame graphics" *Hits him/her over the head*.

Not to talk about whatever retard psychopath who made C&C 4, or forced the team to follow this trend of "Always online". GAH. Or whoever allowed Justin Bieber to make a movie, not just because its Bieber, but because he's been acting like an asshole for ages and stupid fangirls still like him. Retards..... They wont even care if the movie sells or not. May a thousand horrible things haunt their crotches, and if they have children may GOD have mercy on this world. I feel for those children, because they will be fed bullshit from breast to spoon, no doubt about it.

Motivation, creativity, progress. All of these are being hunted. So for you who still produce content, for those of you still in the fight.....

RESPECT. Seriously, if I could high five you, I would ;P

/End Rant

Spoiler: show

1 pcs.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:28 am
Profile E-mail
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:

Bank:
LordofFlames wrote:
You got another problem heading your way. There is a generation on its way out into the world, who grew up with dumbed down technology, who will in themselves be dumbed down. Agreed, things shouldnt progress too fast, but what they're doing Boa isnt something good. They are holding us down. Dumbing us down. "Holding our hands". 95% of all new tech and games that become commercialized these days are an insult to anything that stands for intelligence. And people are bying it, swallowing it whole due to how they percieve the world. A world THEY created, to make themselves more money.

Artists are being more than hampered, they are being prosecuted. The Indie trend in games and apps are right now in its peak. So why do only a select few make it through? We're talking about one in a hundred, if not less here! First off, people are spoiled. If someone makes something good enough, people stick with that and dont want anything else. Example: *A Battlefield player who has been dumbed down, hates on everything thats similar to BF just to keep BF on a pedestal. And he's trying to force it on others, when he can.* Now try imagining these kind of people (who do exist) in a circle of artists, or in a position that can affect an artist life (like a publisher). OR these so called friggin "shareholders" who doesnt know shit about the art but gets to decide about its fate anyways.

I mean..... that shit is crazy. Secondly, "overpopulation" and "standardization". There are just too much people out there, and they are trying to please them all at once, wich is completely retarded. You ALWAYS have a set audience, group or collection of groups that you aim for, lest you're asking to become a sellout and get bought off by EA, and produce one crappy game after another with one year in between until they lay you off because you are "not profitable". Standardization...... Everything is a mold. EA again is a "nice" example for this. Everything should follow a strict line of rules. The content creator goes to the big boss to say * To make this truly great, i need another year. Its not even close to be finished! Big Boss: No, remove all extra content and release it as it is. The rest we sell as DLC. * OR in the case of programs, as "updates". Friggin clowns.

Vast amounts of studios and producers of content jump this bandwagon, selling friggin DEMOS to people, and then selling them upgrades that eventually goes over the amount for the so called "original content".

Greed and stupidity rules today society. It used to only be greed, and the stupidity was being battled since it by then only were a bad habit and for some, a hobby. The fuck happened? Bloody sellouts, the whole lot of them. I used to respect game studios. Some film studios. I used to have respect for publishers, be it in games, music, film or otherwise. But today 90% of them just release crap. Loads of stinking putrid shit, for wich they want to get paid. And the 10% who have a chance to change the world, or keep up the standards, are being prosecuted and/or silenced. Those that I find, and those of the old age when they werent full of shit i preserve and spread the word about. Would i tell someone to listen to Iron Maidens modern songs? No, listen to an album from the 90s, just sayin'. Would i recommend starcraft 2 first and foremost to someone? Fuck no, play SC1 first, then SC2 "But dude, these lame graphics" *Hits him/her over the head*.

Not to talk about whatever retard psychopath who made C&C 4, or forced the team to follow this trend of "Always online". GAH. Or whoever allowed Justin Bieber to make a movie, not just because its Bieber, but because he's been acting like an asshole for ages and stupid fangirls still like him. Retards..... They wont even care if the movie sells or not. May a thousand horrible things haunt their crotches, and if they have children may GOD have mercy on this world. I feel for those children, because they will be fed bullshit from breast to spoon, no doubt about it.

Motivation, creativity, progress. All of these are being hunted. So for you who still produce content, for those of you still in the fight.....

/End Rant

Amen to that, but we're not only talking about games, movies or music here =P This was just one subject of all there is, that you took on.
And I follow you're principle of always playing the first game of a series, instead of starting right in the middle of it =D

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 am
Profile E-mail
Lord Cumdrops
Lord Cumdrops

Cash on hand:
Group: Gurren Doujin Brigade
Killable_Boa wrote:
LordofFlames wrote:

/End Rant

Amen to that, but we're not only talking about games, movies or music here =P This was just one subject of all there is, that you took on.
And I follow you're principle of always playing the first game of a series, instead of starting right in the middle of it =D

"I used to have respect for publishers, >>>>be it in<<<< games, music, film >>>> or otherwise.<<<<" :seizure

Spoiler: show

1 pcs.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
LordofFlames wrote:

/End Rant

Tl;dr: Most things aren't because they love the medium, but to make a quick buck.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 25
Level 25

Cash on hand:
Group: Їи$aиїту
I think of all things what is to blame is the market for said technology. After all, if the market (consumer) demands dumbed down products and services, the people trying to get their money and maintain their share of the market will do that. The problem isn't that creativity, ingenuity, free thinking is being hunted; the problem is there is an addiction to short sighted instant gratification and vapid materialism all which fuel the consumer culture.

I think an important step forward will be to push the DIY culture back into the forefront of society. In order to do this you will need to take the existing culture (or market) of the consumer culture and model the new package in a way that appeals to their interests. (ie instant gratification and materialism).

As adults and members of this DIY culture we must let go of our ego and pride and recognize that the only way to move forward is to change the way things are thought about. A new hybridizing of these cultures (or at least an appeal to the former) must take place before the big players react to the new market demand. (and hopefully by that time people will be ready to be the producers and manufacturers of their own goods because of the value it adds to their values)

that's my two cents.

¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$
¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.