Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 what are your political beliefs? 
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post what are your political beliefs?
Use the handy headings to like write stuff without even thinking about it.

Services - Health care

I think health care would work out more with a two tier system. The rich can go pay through the nose for their health care and then the public system will have less strain and be able to pay for the poor.

Though, the problem with this is, doctors/nurses are a very greedy bunch and probably will go to the private system since they'd probably be paid better (even though they're over paid on the current public system)

Social Assistance/Employment insurance

I think the goverment should be more selective who they give Social Assistance benefits to. They also should tighten up the disability portion. People with drug addictions should not be allowed social assistance, since their so called disability is their fault. They should be allowed to hit rock bottom. The goverment shouldnt be enabling these people to continue their drug/alcohol addictions. Employment insurance should be abolished, or the rules and regulations should be tightened because it incourages people to be lazy

Immigration

The way immigrants are treated is not fair to people who where born here. immigration is okay, but it should be tightened and the goverment should be more picky who they let in.

And also give them less money, since a lot of them dont seem to work at all. While a normal person born here gets about $600 per month to live on when out of work, a immigrant gets $8000 per month to live on. This is not fair.

Post secondary education
The fact the goverment allows schools to charge ridcules amounts for tuitions is criminal. The goverment should be absorbing it all. Since those tuitions, even the highest ones is chump change to the Canadian goverment. It would also do well for the economy, since more people will be taking courses/trades/certifications, more people will be employable. With the system today, there is so many unemployable people. If the goverment paid for post secondary education they'd be saving money in the long run and eventually they'll be making more money from more tax base.

Sat May 16, 2009 9:29 am
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
Post Re: what are your political beliefs?
Holy shit, you're as far right on the political spectrum as I am.

The very image of a king

Sat May 16, 2009 9:36 am
Profile E-mail
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
I always thought I was centrist. I'm like in the middle, leaning over to the left a bit.

Sat May 16, 2009 9:37 am
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
The only leftist bit I picked up on there was the post secondary education bit, and half the health care. The rest seemed fairly to the right.

The very image of a king

Sat May 16, 2009 9:39 am
Profile E-mail
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
meh that seemed pretty central to me...

Mon May 18, 2009 2:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
Services - Health care
EVERYONE GETS FREE HEALTHCARE!!!!!

Social Assistance/Employment insurance
The government needs to make sure that they focus on green energy, as that will create new jobs for A LOT of people.

Immigration
Treat them fairly (except the ones who are criminal, deport their asses)
Post secondary education

Sat May 30, 2009 11:55 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Screw your categories, I have opinions on them but they don't matter

Priority = Life Issues

1. Abortion = abolish/ Outlaw. At the same time encourage/fund those many organizations which serve to help pregnant women and mothers/families in all ways they need: financial assistance/supplies, education, emotional support, time support (child care, for later), medical assistance, etc.
Not saying government should run these non-profit and charity groups, but at least stop helping others destroy them, and give over the money they would otherwise be throwing into abortions for this.

2.Embryonic Stem Cell Research and Cloning = First, end government funding. Second, outlaw. Ends do not justify the means. We don't need to be like the Nazis and various other countries by using human beings for our own scientific experiments. Besides, its a rather weak area, and adult stem cells have been much more successful, and amiotic fluid stem cells are pluripotent or "nearly" pluripotent without the disadvantage of causing tumors like embyronic stem cells. So its a not only wrong but a waste of our time, money, and resources.

3. Euthanasia/Assisted Suicide = Outlaw, same as murder.

4. Death Penalty = End/Outlaw. It's actually more costly for us than keeping inmates their whole lives anyway, but it's also immoral. You don't kill someone for killing someone else and turn around and say "now don't you kill anyone".

5. War = don't. Avoid as much as possible.

6. Other forms of human experimentation = outlaw if involuntary or significantly dangerous.

7. Torture = end it, punish those who use it. Again, ends do not justify means. We must respect the dignity even of our enemies, and torture treats our enemies not as humans but as puzzles or boxes to get information from, treats them as sub-human. If things go badly it won't help us much anyway. Never forget, when Germany was falling soldiers ran to surrender to Americans. Why? Because they had treated everyone else so terribly, and disgraced, tortured and killed other P.O.W.s, that they knew anyone else would either shoot them on sight or do the same to them. The Americans, for whatever reason, they generally treated alot better. American P.O.W.s enjoyed much more respect and freedom as prisoners in German prisons. Also, America was still a bit idealist in some respects and soldiers still had a sense of honor, so they would do the right thing and take a captive and treat them properly. So, don't be a Nazi: treat your prisoners right. I don't mean give them caviar and shopping trips, but treat them like human beings and like how you would prefer they treat prisoners from your country.

Human Dignity and Dignity of Workers

All people should be treated with the respect they deserve as a human being, and treated fairly in the work place and paid justly. Hard work is a good thing, and the one who works should be paid for their work and respected, and allowed to work if able and willing and if there are no other hinderences. Those are basic principals, the details of how to handle them I leave to others more expert, as many acts can have various effects, and many may disagree strongly with these same ends in mind with different understandings of the situation.

Marriage

Between a man and a woman who are reasonably capable of sex. Why? Because without the possibility of reproduction, there is no point to marriage. Other reasons as well, but thats the basic principal. Not my fault that's how human biology works. That really has always been the primary point of a marriage, even when it has been for kinship alliances, as the idea was that then the children would be able to inherit disputed territories or clans and whatnot. (For love? That's a relatively new idea [around 18th century]. Before it was always "nice" but was poor grounds for marriage as it could easily fade fast, and you can love many people and should love in various ways everyone anyway.)

Government Surveillance

Public records/ things you do in public/ whatever? Those are public so... whatever.
My private conversations in my house: SCREW YOU BIG BROTHER!

Immigration

Treat immigrants fairly. Open up immigration more. We all used to be immigrants, and the diversity of this nation has been very helpful in our progress. Sometimes its the children of the immigrants that prove more beneficial, but whatever, these are all people anyway and should be treated with respect. Einstein was an immigrant to the U.S., as you may recall. And more recently so was one of the trainers of one of our gymnasts in the most recent Olympics.
That said: Crack down on illegal immigration. People do not have to right to break such laws and we shouldn't have to pay for those who break our laws in such matters. At the same time make it easier to get in and get visas, green cards, and citizenship, so that there is no excuse for getting in illegally.

Separation of Church and State

First ammendment says the state must stay out of Church affairs and cannot establish a state religion. Doesn't say a religious group can't do what they want. Granted, my own religion has certain doctrines which now require us everywhere to keep some degrees away from the state, as their sphere is their sphere and we have other things to worry about. Still, trying to make an atheist state is foolish, and people get out of hand in their "wall" they put up. Remember what happened to the Soviets?

Education

Get politics out of education, it only serves to ruin our education system. Centralization and standardization of eduction systems is the worst possible route you could go. Seriously, getting rid of schools MIGHT actually work better. People are not clones and drones (yet). Educators know much better what the hell they are doing and what their individual students and schools need, not politicians who know nothing about it and have ulterior motives. I've seen how much it fails on a state level, and why, national levels would be even worse. There's a reason private schools and private school students do so much better, and its not that they have the money (many of the best actually have significantly LESS money, but they don't waste it, they take cuts, and they work on REAL education).

Health Care

Universal Health Care I see simply as a failure plan that would give a short term of minimal benefit to some, but overall fail. I don't really care that much though, but looking for better solutions is probably a good course of action. Someone pointed out last year that "Barack Obama is right, health care is not affordable. But its not affordable because of state legislatures like Barack Obama, who keep piling on regulations and fines and such on health care providers so that they end up simply passing it on to their clients and charge so high."
Solution? I don't know, I'd like to see everyone receive good health care. Honestly I think hospitals should voluntarily treat people in need that can't pay at least somewhat well for whatever they can get or for free. Some do too. Is that a solution? It would be if we had more good caring people in health service I suppose. I'm willing to hear other options.

Economics

Stop being idiots. Most politicians really seem to be to blame for alot too. But stop being idiots. If you can't afford the big house, or new car, don't buy it. We all probably need to tighten our belts and make some sacrifices for a while. Deal with hard times, don't try to delay them with idiocy which will only cause far worse in the future. The only politician I've heard thats been at all intelligent about such things is Ron Paul. Everyone else is too interested in getting re-elected and looking nice rather than doing what will actually help in the long term.

Can't think of much else at the moment.

Sun May 31, 2009 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]