Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Religion Debate WHY DO WE DO IT? 
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Post Religion Debate WHY DO WE DO IT?
I mean seriously, what is the point? we never get anywhere there is no point in it. All that happens is we end up going round in circles up to the point where it leads to "God is not rationable" or some such answer in which God isn't on the same Plane of existance of us ect. So we really should just stop. No one gets anywhere, we should just wait until the results are in really. So we can be certain or not but until that time I shall be a teapot agnostic accepting it as a Theory. So can we just leave it?

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Re: Religion Debate WHY DO WE DO IT?
Well I'm afraid you can't stop it until someone does who has the power to do so.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:48 pm
Shocksock
Shocksock

Cash on hand:
Causes arguments and most of the time in a really stupid way. Also I hate that marrige craplike or sex before marrige and marrige is for life (divorce = bad). Pfft i'm done with it, this convo is over.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:24 am
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
I've actually seen religious debates go rather smoothly (not ending up in pointless arguments) between those of different religions, and I've seen religious debates between those of the same religion go terribly bad. And vice versa is true too. Whether or not a debate is good or bad depends on the people involved and their maturity/understanding level. And some people debate because they want to prove something, others are trying to correct misconceptions about their religions, etc. I don't see anything necessarily wrong with having such debates if you're mature enough to understand that your viewpoint is not the only one in the world and are not trying to absolutely force people to believe in the same things as you. And yes, you can have a successful debate such as that.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:37 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
Just how we have philosophical debates. The real purpose is because they truly open our mind.

Now, yes, atheists and religious people are both close minded, but at least when they debate each other there is a chance of some opening of the mind.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Haz wrote:
I mean seriously, what is the point? we never get anywhere there is no point in it. All that happens is we end up going round in circles up to the point where it leads to "God is not rationable" or some such answer in which God isn't on the same Plane of existance of us ect. So we really should just stop. No one gets anywhere, we should just wait until the results are in really. So we can be certain or not but until that time I shall be a teapot agnostic accepting it as a Theory. So can we just leave it?

You haven't been in too many religious debates if you think thats how they all end.

In any case, why?
Heres one reason: There is an extra-canonical story of Lot, the nephew of Abraham, in which Lot goes out into the city of Sodom every day and preaches to the people about how they are acting wickedly, how they should be acting, etc.
No one listens.
One day a boy in the streets says to Lot: "Why do you keep coming out hear and preaching? No one is listening to you, no one cares, no one is changing."
Lot responds: "I preach not so that I may change them, I preach so that I may not become like them."

This could be the case for some. I do not think it is entirely a proper stance, but it does have an interesting idea.

Another reason for not waiting till the results are in, for struggling with all this, not just leaving it?
Because there's a line drawn in the sand. In the end an agnostic, particularly at rest, is on the same grounds or worse than an atheist. One who is continually seeking the answer and truth may be on better terms in general if they seek genuinely. For there is an answer: Someone is right, someone is wrong. In the particulars, its possible that all are wrong, theoretically. The atheist, as I said, may be on better grounds, because often the one fighting against the stream is closer changing direction then the one sitting idly in the shallows.
Particularly for those of us who are Christians, this line is clearly cut. As ones on the side of Christ, it is our duty to stand out in front of all and defend our faith in Jesus Christ as we can, and at least attempt to show the light of that faith to others even if it is unsuccessful.

A final set of reasons: Its fun. Its also good to hear other sides of things and pick apart many matters, as it helps us understand our own side better, helps us fill in some holes, is a good exercise. When met with challenge we find ways to get stronger. We stop being mindless sheep going with the herd when we are shown another option by the goats, perhaps, or forced to confront the wolf.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:16 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
n0th1n wrote:
Haz wrote:

You haven't been in too many religious debates if you think thats how they all end.

In any case, why?
Heres one reason: There is an extra-canonical story of Lot, the nephew of Abraham, in which Lot goes out into the city of Sodom every day and preaches to the people about how they are acting wickedly, how they should be acting, etc.
No one listens.
One day a boy in the streets says to Lot: "Why do you keep coming out hear and preaching? No one is listening to you, no one cares, no one is changing."

Lot responds: "I preach not so that I may change them, I preach so that I may not become like them."

This could be the case for some. I do not think it is entirely a proper stance, but it does have an interesting idea.

Another reason for not waiting till the results are in, for struggling with all this, not just leaving it?
Because there's a line drawn in the sand. In the end an agnostic, particularly at rest, is on the same grounds or worse than an atheist. One who is continually seeking the answer and truth may be on better terms in general if they seek genuinely. For there is an answer: Someone is right, someone is wrong. In the particulars, its possible that all are wrong, theoretically. The atheist, as I said, may be on better grounds, because often the one fighting against the stream is closer changing direction then the one sitting idly in the shallows.
Particularly for those of us who are Christians, this line is clearly cut. As ones on the side of Christ, it is our duty to stand out in front of all and defend our faith in Jesus Christ as we can, and at least attempt to show the light of that faith to others even if it is unsuccessful.

A final set of reasons: Its fun. Its also good to hear other sides of things and pick apart many matters, as it helps us understand our own side better, helps us fill in some holes, is a good exercise. When met with challenge we find ways to get stronger. We stop being mindless sheep going with the herd when we are shown another option by the goats, perhaps, or forced to confront the wolf.

good reasoning. But I have been in so many debates where it has just ended in stupidty and just insults about each other. I suppose I should just debate with the right people

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:10 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Moving this to no spam.

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Haz wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
Haz wrote:

In any case, why?
No one listens.

good reasoning. But I have been in so many debates where it has just ended in stupidty and just insults about each other. I suppose I should just debate with the right people

That is generally the case with most things.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]