Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Just In Time/Turn Events in (War) Strategy Games a Chore! 
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Location: PEARL HARB☠R!!! QUELL (PRETENSE OF) INSTIGATIONS (WARMONGERING), USURPATION, AND COUPS!
Group: Registered users
Post Just In Time/Turn Events in (War) Strategy Games a Chore!
Okay, I have to say that I do like a bit of strategy games. I am more attending towards the Master of Magic or the like. Yeah, that's really old school. It's like Civilization, where you adapt your initial equipment (serious important role in deployment), get your resources, watch your exploration, and fucking building up armies to slaughter the motherfuckers. It's almost the basis in winning the freaking game. No way can you really stay united with the piss fucks A.I. You gonna have to fry these mother fuckers up. The last one will cost everything you throw at him!

Strategy games, with a bit of random events are a blessing and a bitch. It's incoming when you sight the first enemy scout. However, I'm not here to rave about how bitching strategy games can be. There's another factor set into strategy games, and it's called "Just In Time/Turn" events. What that means is another difficulty setting that adjusts your gameplay session duration. Before I go on, let me define what I consider as a strategy game. I guess it's strategy if you do want a coffeebreak game, but I seriously doubt that strategy games can be done within a 30 minutes lunch break. Most coffeebreak games limit itself to short/saved puzzles or a bit of arcade, and that's the entire game session. Nothing like the complexities requiring effort, thinking, and time than your imaginary long chess board game. Now, there are games like that such as Dungeons and Dragons (thinking, a bit of strategy, but restricting rpg/stats) or war simulations. Yes, war simulations, the other game that probably birthed chess. In one turn, each unit of a side moves with the other reacting towards advances or attacks. It can be a bitching battle or a sleepover. Regardless, the situation requires a slow and steady train of thought.

Now that I defined my standard of strategy games, just imagine how JIT will factor into the session. In one module, you are given a goal, but wait, time is not on your side! It's like it decided to join the bad guys just because they don't have a certain edge. Nevertheless, you are given a set of time/turns to complete your task(s). I see this in Wesnoth, and I have to say that it can bite my dick. Almost everytime, I manage to beat the scenario at the very last moment. You must get it done as stated. War simulations have the difficulty of enemy units. You technically don't need to capture goal points as they don't determine the victory conditions. Time/turn doesn't even do anything either. You just need to survive the waves of engagement (includes reinforcements) in a kill-death ratio. That's fucking fun to me, but I did gave up after being airdropped by helicopters on my encampments. A bit too much close calls, a bit too much exposure, and a bit too much thinking (took a lot of free time, too much free time!). Good thing, I can fucking kill helicopters when they prone in mid-air. Kills a bunch of units at the same time. Now, I only mentioned Wesnoth with its turn limit. Real-time strategy games have this problem as well. I probably get pissed tired from the get-go initiative. Let's say for the famous StarCraft, your lone base versus a bunch of ready to go enemy bases surrounding you. How you go about that? And you got about 30 minutes. I usually have to set up enough units to defend before I go sending units for attack. They usually get counterattacked by later reinforcements. Had to play raid and run style before I can occupy territory. I don't remember a time limit, but there was one scenario that fucking pisses me off. That be the save the other bases from attack without supplies scenario. Your given units must pass each waypoint defending bases against instantly summoned enemies. Once your done with one, the next base requires your help. It's practically a race against time! And certain units must survive the onslaught in order to complete the scenario. It's like you're playing a racing game when it's supposed to be a thinking game (maybe not as puzzle, but a train of thought is required to manage your limited resources, production, and units towards a goal [as a primary basis of strategy games]).

Maybe, it's just me. Time/turn constraints are everywhere in games. It's only when a strange urge for haste comes, I become more embattered to get the order done against production schedule deadline. Some people like it, but I say it's a definite contraction to what strategy games are supposed to function as. If you want fast, I tell them to go play a space shooter game like Raiden, Touhou, Street Fighter, or even Metal Slug! FPS works as well, but you don't get to see that always fast paced action. Don't get me going about tycoon/sim strategy or dating sim with JIT and stats games. Those are a completely different ball game to me. Those do involve time and production schedules to be met.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ChoSh.jpg, resident alien generation? Wow!
_
Regurgitator monster to be resumed
whatissk/moonie/washingtontimes=anti-armistice nazi instigator-usurper/tyherantno parasite/censorship/anti-neutrality embargo/siege fallen cheonson-ilminismist/ilminazmist/merciless 'they live' mein kampf machine/kal_flight_007 self-victimization
nsfw
Spoiler: show
Fraud Alert Renewal Month: 03, 06, 09, and 12
My ZDoom mods
Viva Le Resistance! (threat: see ☠Image☠ below...)
Metal tracking mods
sfw
https://archive.org/download/for_jihad_monsters/Lightning%20Exclusive%20Nasheed%20By%20Ahmad%20Al-Muqit.mp3

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Location: PEARL HARB☠R!!! QUELL (PRETENSE OF) INSTIGATIONS (WARMONGERING), USURPATION, AND COUPS!
Post Re: Just In Time/Turn Events in (War) Strategy Games a Chore
Yeah, strategy games to me come in mind of mindless fun. Some thinking okay, but mindless fun. Building? Building is boring. Anything that got long goal term of building is like you might as well do that in a real life scenario. But go ahead and game escapade into Belize or some paradise wonderland. It can be dating sim/rpg or adventure. It can be you pampering that butt of your hoe in your private estate. It's your paradise!

EDIT (15/10/2017):
-By the way, strategy games are slow jives. It's like transition towards the classic chess or a variant. I can't drag on for too long. It's it not too frustrating hard, I am like that guy sitting in the middle of nowhere. Master of Magic is technically a lax/frustrating game for me. I find myself mostly racing and pacing against time just to get the Spell of Mastery done. Hardly strategic conquest, hardly remember defense scenarios. Just right, but it also tells that strategy games are almost like those mmo competitions. There are games for everybody, but strategy games fall out for me, particularly for grind droners. War simulations only have resource allocation in the sense of reinforcements and terrain/method tactics.

So resource allocation is a little too slow, JIT is a little too fast, woo!

_
whatissk/moonie/washingtontimes=anti-armistice nazi instigator-usurper/tyherantno parasite/censorship/anti-neutrality embargo/siege fallen cheonson-ilminismist/ilminazmist/merciless 'they live' mein kampf machine/kal_flight_007 self-victimization
nsfw
My ZDoom mods
Metal tracking mods
sfw
https://archive.org/download/for_jihad_monsters/Lightning%20Exclusive%20Nasheed%20By%20Ahmad%20Al-Muqit.mp3

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Post Re: Just In Time/Turn Events in (War) Strategy Games a Chore
Usually, I could handle just in time or turn limit games, but when you do add in the need for resource collection, the list of priorities start to muddle, especially if you have to go out your way to race and fight for the resource material. It should have been a obvious to me, but I assume that some people don't play these type of games. It's not some resource laying around like in Civilization or Master of Magic. Or that you were given a set amount of assets in a war game. We're talking about pacing to get material in a contested situation (usually not the average map design, but you know how it goes), but that's not all. You would have to down some enemy leader(s)/facilities, all that within a set amount of time/turns. Just a warning about it.

_
nsfw
My ZDoom mods
Metal tracking mods
sfw

Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]