Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Atheists and Agnostics 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Re: Atheists and Agnostics
To note: Rosie isn't actually that definite of anything right now. She knows a good bit about various religions and Catholicism in particular, but isn't very practicing nor definite. She practices more lately because of me, i.e. she goes to Mass with me alot of the time, but doesn't receive the sacraments or anything, and thats about it as far as I know. She could obviously say better.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:23 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
By definition, I'm a non-practicing Christian as I've received baptism and first communion (but not confirmation), though I've been going to mass because of n0th1n on a somewhat weekly basis recently. As n0th1n said, I don't receive sacraments, nor do I plan to anytime soon (to do so the first thing I'd need to to do is go to confession, and if I ever go to confession, it'll be on honest terms, not half-heartedly). I don't consider myself anything though. as I'm trying to learn about other religions some more. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the gist of it all. I'm assuming Carsito said that I was a Christ-fag because I've argue for Christianity and/or Catholics before.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:07 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
I just presumed you were a Christ Fag... never seen your arguments before, but since you graduated from a Catholic school...

I take communion and shit, I just don't believe (part of family shit).

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
I just presumed you were a Christ Fag... never seen your arguments before, but since you graduated from a Catholic school...

That's... actually really really really terrible.

If you don't believe in what we find most sacred, at least respect us enough not to abuse what we hold so dear.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:55 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
There has yet to be a Rational and logical religion and so I am not a believer

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:

If you don't believe in what we find most sacred, at least respect us enough not to abuse what we hold so dear.

Well, since none of it's real, it really doesn't make a difference.

The fact that it offends YOU is the only bad thing, but you're on the internet... so who cares?

Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:20 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:

The fact that it offends YOU is the only bad thing, but you're on the internet... so who cares?

But thats what I'm saying, you are offending MANY MANY people. Including MANY people around you while you do the acts.

@Lime: I said to do it out of respect for the PEOPLE.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:

But thats what I'm saying, you are offending MANY MANY people. Including MANY people around you while you do the acts.

My parents offended me when they said Santa Claus didn't exist

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Haz wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:

I don't think the degree of the offense even compares but: So you now think its ok to offend anyone and everyone for any or no reason?

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
not to get back in this convo but haz. Santa Claus was real. Christopher existed its just that he died like everyone does eventually. however people try to keep his spirit alive by following the same actions so in some respect he isn't dead. he's in the spirit of everyone who is partaking in the tradition following in Christopher's footsteps. ok i'm getting really tired sry if that not making sense. i'll look at it tom.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:55 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
Haz wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:

I don't think the degree of the offense even compares but: So you now think its ok to offend anyone and everyone for any or no reason?

I think it's okay to compare Santa to God (and more spefically in this case the Juedo Christian God) heh what makes it so bad surely you can shrug it off call me a crackpot for not seeing the evidence (but then again Faith is a virtue) of course I see the case to be the other way round.
I just don't see how Santa and God are that different. To me I see both as rather silly idea. I mean you expect me to believe in a thing that created everything then went on about a series of rather amusing Adventures including killing lots of people Raping Virgin Children. Of course it all gets better when Jesus comes along (but surely that isn't the point if you are going argue for it's existance) and he goes and makes even more conflicting messages futhermore you expect me to believe that eventually when the world comes to an end a giant east, with seven heads and ten horns. (In a later chapter, John will explain that the ten horns are actually ten power-hungry kings without a kingdom.) The beast has `words of blasphemy' written on its seven foreheads, has the feet of a bear and the mouth of a lion.

Anyway then I'm supposed to believe that creationism is metaphorical and Jesus died for the orginal (but of course) metaphorical sin. A bunch of metaphorical stuff later means you pretty much twist the words of the bible into anyway you want. Perhaps... If God was such a clever little thing would of made it so the Bible was meant to be read litreally (you know as it reads) "THOU SHALT NOT KILL"
he says before Claiming the promised land through the sword. godamn Gyomn living their PEACEFUL LIVES you know what happens Moses tells them to kill everyone excluding the women "who have no known man to keep for yourselves" what a sick son of bitch
anyway I don't take Religion seriously because of a simple lack of evidence

Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Haz wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
Haz wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:

I think it's okay to compare Santa to God (and more spefically in this case the Juedo Christian God) heh what makes it so bad surely you can shrug it off call me a crackpot for not seeing the evidence (but then again Faith is a virtue) of course I see the case to be the other way round.
I just don't see how Santa and God are that different. To me I see both as rather silly idea. I mean you expect me to believe in a thing that created everything then went on about a series of rather amusing Adventures including killing lots of people Raping Virgin Children. Of course it all gets better when Jesus comes along (but surely that isn't the point if you are going argue for it's existance) and he goes and makes even more conflicting messages futhermore you expect me to believe that eventually when the world comes to an end a giant east, with seven heads and ten horns. (In a later chapter, John will explain that the ten horns are actually ten power-hungry kings without a kingdom.) The beast has `words of blasphemy' written on its seven foreheads, has the feet of a bear and the mouth of a lion.

Anyway then I'm supposed to believe that creationism is metaphorical and Jesus died for the orginal (but of course) metaphorical sin. A bunch of metaphorical stuff later means you pretty much twist the words of the bible into anyway you want. Perhaps... If God was such a clever little thing would of made it so the Bible was meant to be read litreally (you know as it reads) "THOU SHALT NOT KILL"
he says before Claiming the promised land through the sword. godamn Gyomn living their PEACEFUL LIVES you know what happens Moses tells them to kill everyone excluding the women "who have no known man to keep for yourselves" what a sick son of bitch
anyway I don't take Religion seriously because of a simple lack of evidence

You actually aren't even addressing the issue at hand anymore. You're just too caught up in this "whaaa, the idea of God Christians talk about seems weird! I don't like it! IT stupid. They're jerks for believing in anything ever!"
I'm talking about offending the deepest things of people. I tell you, I don't believe in Islam (on the contrary I think rather worse things about it than that), but I'm not going to go offend the people who don't understand as I do by spitting on their sacred stone in Mecca. Why should I insult the people like that? Why should I offend that which is so close to their hearts?

Also, creationism isn't metaphorical, creationism is a term for the literal belief in the creation stories. I never said everything was "metaphorical" either. If you ever tried to study it and the cultures it came out of, or literature in general, you'd see pretty easily that most the stuff follows certain forms of a genre which make it quite clear what they are and give clues to a real interpretation on many matters. But, that, as I said, is NOT the problem at hand.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:33 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
They don't look offended when I do it...
hell, when the gays invaded the church and violated the Eucharist, the priest just gave them the wafer. I think even if I wore a "God Free Youth" shirt to church, I wouldn't be that offensive when eating a wafer.

And did you know that the very fact that you believe in Christ is offensive to many Islamic people?

Plus, spitting on the stone of Mecca would be great for Lulz... so I actually would do it and then post it on ED.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
They don't look offended when I do it...
hell, when the gays invaded the church and violated the Eucharist, the priest just gave them the wafer. I think even if I wore a "God Free Youth" shirt to church, I wouldn't be that offensive when eating a wafer.

And did you know that the very fact that you believe in Christ is offensive to many Islamic people?

Plus, spitting on the stone of Mecca would be great for Lulz... so I actually would do it and then post it on ED.

Actually, the Islamic people "believe in Christ" as well, you know. Just differently. Interestingly they believe he is one of only two human sons of God, Adam and Jesus, and that he is one of the greatest prophets, though his primary contribution is the Golden Rule, as Moses primary contribution is The Ten Commandments.

But, that is a different matter. Maybe your atheism or agnosticism is offensive too, maybe my Catholicism is offensive to others. I'm not going out and intentionally assaulting that which is most sacred to people without reason. I follow the Truth and that is all I can do. In any case, it would seem pretty easy for both of us to conclude that my following my faith is a different level of offense, and a different animal as it were, from doing something to so directly assault people themselves. People give up their lives for the sake of the Eucharist, and form their lives around it (priests specifically, for instance, are actually supposed to be entirely for the Eucharist and all their duties and such are geared around giving and protecting the sanctity of the Eucharist. Confession, for instance, is administered by a priest so that the faithful can approach and receive the Eucharist.)

In any case, the question is, do they know what it is you are doing? And you should know by now that just because we allow others to offend us greatly in many cases doesn't mean we are not offended. Turn the other cheek, as it were, and hope the other will be turned.

We also happen to have a regulation against scandal due to lack of full knowledge at the altar, which is a tricky line for any priest to play if he were to deny anyone, though at times they must because things are clear enough.

In any case, if you actually go to a Catholic church, I tell you there are many around you that you have offended by this offense, even if they are not conscious of it, or even if they do not know what to do about it.
As a priest I know once said, on a slightly different offense related to taking the Eucharist, it is like or worse than 'burning the flag in front of a marine'. You get the idea, obviously, even if not every marine would care, or even if you would do this.

It would appear clear though that offending others, care for humanity and people in general, is not one of your concerns.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
No one at the church knows I'm an Agnostic.

If they did, I wouldn't be their in the first place (why the fuck would I go to church), I would just have problems at home instead.

I take communion because I need to remain looking like a Christian in front of my mom until I go away to college. Once I do that, I'll tell her. I just know if I told her that I don't believe in all the bullshit stories that we've been taught all this time, it would break her heart. So I'm not intentionally doing shit, I'm just keeping shit stable for a while.

In all actuality though, I hate the idea of worship and after being surrounded by religious people my entire life, I see how illogical it truly is.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next