Pros and Cons of AvP 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Pros and Cons of AvP
Pros:
Pred cloaking graphic finally mastered.
Aliens utilize their ability to blend into shadows, being virtually invisible unless you have your flashlight right on them.
Instant kill moves are bad ass.
The disc has been adequately nerfed from its AvP2 version (being guided by your laser-sight rather than locking on and homing in).
The shoulder cannon is back to how it was in the original AvP: dodgeable, but lethal when fully charged.

Cons:
Marines are mostly worthless:
*Can't see shit.
*Slow as balls.
*Due to almost ever-present lag in multiplayer, they can't hit shit.
The multiplayer system blows:
*Takes forever to find a game.
*I've yet to play a game that isn't laggy.
*If the host pussies out and leaves the game ends.
*When the game ends, it doesn't return to the lobby, instead everyone gets booted out to find a new game.

All in all I'd give it about a 7. Single player was fun, marine campaign was pretty scary as to be expected, but the problems with the multiplayer system just make it not even worth playing online. Here's to hoping they patch up the problems...if nothing else at least make it so that you return to the lobby upon completing a game.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:58 pm
Level 4
Level 4

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Post Re: Pros and Cons of AvP
Aliens are absolutely impossible to play now. Even when you get past the terrible keyboard controls, everyone leaves after you dominate them non stop as the single alien in the entire game.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:56 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Really? I played all three campaigns and found it to be a 3/5 (xplay rating system).

It isn't bad, in any sense (single player wise), but it is absolutely nothing special. Then I started thinking about how epic AvP 2 was. I began to think it was nostalgia. I bought it. It was that epic. An eleven year old game out classed this one in almost all respects (except predator, that one was pretty good, and the jumping moves felt epic)

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Їи$aиїту
EPIC... EPIC... EPIC...

Spoiler: show

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:17 am
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
played the demo; multiplayer only.

from that, it sucks ass. like, really really shitty. It's almost unplayable. They have some cool elements with the aliens coming out of nowhere and shit, but you have this fuckin' beeping radar thing that practically useless unless you're hunting down another human. you move slow as fuck and can't see anything.

and as DJ said, takes forever to find a game. so their servers suck. i didn't have a lag problem, but that doesn't matter, cause the game sucks.

Really, multiplayer can't be fixed with updates because the gameplay itself sucks. they'll have to make another sequel and hopefully that will be better.

so i give the multiplayer 4/10. i won't play single player (well, maybe at my friend's).

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:13 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
That radard saves your ass. It is the only way as a Marine you're finding shit.

In single player, it scares you shitless.

Bubba wrote:

Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Yeah, this ain't CoD, the radar isn't meant to send you running off, chasing down dots. It's to let you know "Hey, something that wants to see your head separated from your shoulders" is moving in on you. Think defense, not offense. To a limited degree, it even lets you know if something's coming up behind you. Obviously it's useless to try and change someone's opinion once they've made it, but while the game does have its faults, I wouldn't say it sucks.

Really the only I thought that got worse from AvP 2 was the marines arsenal...it done gone and got bitch-slapped with the nerf bat. Granted the smart-gun is a little better and they even let the sniper rifle see cloaked preds, but why so few weapons? What happened to Ol' Painless the minigun? Or the grenade launcher? Not to mention that the flame-thrower is fucking worthless unless you enjoy creating giant acid bombs to explode in your face and the pulse rifle does dick for damage.

Aliens I thought were badass because it's how it should be: they're hard as fuck to see in the shadows...it's what they do. In AvP they blended into the darkness but not nearly as much as in this game. Also they're the only species that gets to taunt in multiplayer. :P Once you master the art of pouncing, killing people becomes a breeze in multiplayer...its even more effective than the pounces in AvP 2 if you do it right. I do miss the ability to keep your tail curled and "charged" as you could in AvP 2...but on the fllip side, the tail is generally a 1-hit kill irather than a stun.

As for the preds, and here comes my bias, they're amazing compared to the ones in AvP 2. As I mentioned it kicks ass that they finally got the cloaking graphic mastered...I remember in AvP Primal Hunt you were basically a glowing rainbow. AvP 2 wasn't bad, but it was still pretty easy to see a black outline running around (which is why you crouch and walk :P). I like how they did the disc in this one. Still pretty dangerous but not as cheap as the one in AvP 2. Also I like how they turned the shoulder cannon back to how it was in the original AvP: shooting in the direction of the lock, 1-hit kill at full charge, but still can be dodged. I do miss being able to use the spear as a melee weapon, but chucking it as a javeline is pretty sweet.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 pm
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
the radar is annoying, though. plus, the background sound they ended up trying to make in order to not make the radar so obvious ended making it sound like UT3 or Time Splitters. For the environment they were trying to make, they really just shit all over it.

The only good i found in the multiplayer was how the aliens could sneak around and shit. but that's it.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
The motion tracker sound exactly as it did when it was first introduced in Aliens, and as it has in every AvP game. Beyond that I have no idea what the hell you were talking about.

One thing I wish they would have made a little better was the marine reactions to the predator distraction. "Come on out you freak!" "I'm on it!", "Come on motherfucker." "I'll be right there." Also they should have used the greatest taunt of all time: "Want some candy?"

On a side note, I find it rather humorous that amongst all the gadgets and weapons the predators use to hunt and kill their prey...they come equipped with a voice recorder just for shits and giggles. What's more they can apparently use it to throw their voice like no ventriloquist could ever dream of.

One thing I liked about the multiplayer was the Mixed Species Deathmatch in which it's two teams comprised of all three species.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:07 pm
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
I never finished the Marine campaign... do you get in the mech again? I must know.

Bubba wrote:

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 am
Profile E-mail
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
KNOW... KNOW... KNOW...

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
the problem is that the sensor drowns everything out. It's more annoying than it is helpful. I haven't played the single player, but in the multi-player it actually just adds to why it sucks so bad. motions sensors have been better utilized in video games (CodMod2); it almost seems like the designers were too fuckin' high to realize how broken they made the multiplayer.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:28 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Caristo, listen very carefully.

The motion tracker was based EXACTLY on the one from the movies, as it has been in all 3 games. They can't change it.

Bubba wrote:

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Also, as PKB already mentioned, it's loud to scare the shit out of you...and to make sure you know that something's coming. In single player, as there has been in every AvP game, there's a shit ton of "ghost signals". Bleeps that appear to be moving down the hall right outside the door your looking at only to just vanish. Shit coming up right beside you and vanishing. As I recall, the year AvP 2 was released, the marine campaign won "Scariest Single Player Campaign" in a number of different magazines. That was always the balance of power for the marines: they had the most diverse arsenal containing numerous weapons with which to kick total ass, but they couldn't see shit. For preds it was the fact that they could go invisible and had lock-on weapons, but they were highly dependent upon their energy and were blind to one species while hunting the other. For aliens they could see everything, go anywhere, and required no ammo...however they were always the most fragile of the species.

But yeah, while you do have valid complaints about some of the other multiplayer stuff, I just can't buy into your complaints about the motion tracker. It hasn't changed since it was first utilized in the movies and the game. Even that famous scene in Aliens when they're all huddled in the lab, "30 meters. 25 meters, 20 meters..." "Fuck, that's right in the room!" The blip was loud enough to be heard by everyone in the room.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:15 pm
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
ROOM... ROOM... ROOM...

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next