Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Alright, really, Alien vs Predator. 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Alright, really, Alien vs Predator.
In your heart of hearts, who do you truly side with? Who do you really believe is the superior extraterrestrial? Is it the alien with it's truly unparalleled stealth and the fact that it truly is the ultimate organism when it comes to survival? Needin no weapons at all to be one of the most terrifying killing creatures in existence? Or is it the Predator? The ultimate hunter. Amazingly advanced technology honed towards the solitary goal of killing everything it encounters? Capable of rendering itself invisible to human eyes, firing blasts of heated plasma to rip holes in its targets, and having the distinct ability of not fearing the darkness as it can see everything and anything with it's various vision modes?

When one thinks about it, it really is a difficult decision. Or perhaps it isn't, maybe it's a no-brainer. But the question remains: which do you believe is the superior alien? The Xenomorph, or the Yautja? (Yautja = name of predator species for the half-way fans who didn't know that)

Personally, my vote goes with the Xenomorph. Truly it is the pinnacle of survival instinct. It's cunning and surprisingly fast-learning-intelligence makes it - as it has always been described through out both the Aliens and the AvP series - the ultimate survivor. Extreme temperatures mean nothing to it. In some story lines they have evern been known to survive, though "sleeping" in dormancy, the vacuum of space. It needs no ammo or weapons, no armor, nor any optic camouflage to be obscenely deadly. It's just a home-grown natural born killer. Think of it this way: an alien with the intelligence of a human (as the aliens played in the AvP games are) is capable of untold amounts of destruction, chaos, and death. A true alien, as they are meant to be in their story lines, would be unstoppable. Its instincts are unmatchable, its stealth and lethality are unparalleled. Truly, as it has been said numerous times in all the Aliens and AvP story lines...it IS the ultimate organism.

As much as I love the Predators for their badass tech and amazing ability to kill with their sweet weapons, when you really think about it they're nothing more than a human with advanced tech and super-charged strength and cunning. Yes, they can analyze a situation and their surroundings to determine the best way to kill multiple opponents in one sitting while taking the least amount of damage...they still have a dependency upon their tech. Xenomorphs are pure...they depend on nothing other than their own instinct and cunning. Not to mention their amazing mobility.

When it comes to killing humans, Predators win hands down. But in the true essence of the AvP battle...Aliens will always come out on top. At least that's what I believe, how about yourself?

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:46 am
Level 26
Level 26

Cash on hand:
Post Re: Alright, really, Alien vs Predator.
They should kill all humans first.

Subliminal message... You suck.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:28 am
Profile E-mail
Sick Fuck
Sick Fuck

Cash on hand:

Bank:
The Xenomorph is basically the ultimate predator.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 am
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
The "Yautja" abide by a code of honor, and do not exactly "kill everything it sees" - this somewhat cuts back on its "mad killer" score.

The Xenomorph?. So far, no bushido gunk on it.

4 pcs.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:43 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 4
Level 4

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
I'd side with Cthulhu, because that dude can seriously fuck your shit up.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:00 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
YomToxic wrote:
The "Yautja" abide by a code of honor, and do not exactly "kill everything it sees" - this somewhat cuts back on its "mad killer" score.

The xenomorphs don't necessarily kill unarmed people either, rather they capture them for implantation...which subsequently kills them. But it's the chest-buster that gets the kill, not the common drone/warrior breed. :P

As for the Yautja's honor, that really doesn't have anything to do with it's killing power. So what if they don't kill unarmed civilians? They wouldn't have a chance anyways. Armed combatants are still taken out with brutal cunning and efficiency.

Though I do still say that all in all the xenomorph is the superior species.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:14 am
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Dark Jester wrote:
YomToxic wrote:

The xenomorphs don't necessarily kill unarmed people either, rather they capture them for implantation...which subsequently kills them. But it's the chest-buster that gets the kill, not the common drone/warrior breed. :P

As for the Yautja's honor, that really doesn't have anything to do with it's killing power. So what if they don't kill unarmed civilians? They wouldn't have a chance anyways. Armed combatants are still taken out with brutal cunning and efficiency.

Though I do still say that all in all the xenomorph is the superior species.

Zigackly. Xenomorphs kill EVERYTHING. Armed opponents?. SLASH!. Unarmed? RAPE!.

The Yautja is supposed itself from killing the following; sickly, pregnant-

WHY THE FUCK ARE WE HAVING A NORMAL DEBATE IN GENERAL SPAM?!. *shoots your face* :alb

4 pcs.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Sick Fuck
Sick Fuck

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Wait, this was a NORMAL debate?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:24 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
EmoVan wrote:
It's the first I've heard of it being that.

I'm just trying to get Yom to understand what I'm talking about, which apparently he's still missing the point. It's not so much about "what it kills" more "how it kills" and "how effectively it kills". Think of it this way. Assume you're equipped with a pulse rifle, which would you rather have stalking your ass: Alien or Pred?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:27 pm
Level 4
Level 4

Cash on hand:
If anything I'd go with marines. Because in every movie and to every opinion, the marines appear as that kinetic prop which is just there to advance the plot and make aliens/predators look good. But each time we see any marines or human interference it's always some tiny squad of marines, or and isolated terraforming base full of civilians with almost no means of defense, or some retarded teenage couples running around and making drama.

Really, I always thought that if you have an actual force of smart beefy soldiers, under the command of even smarter commanders and officers would be just in the position to compete with any alien hives or predator hunts. But if say you get 20-30 of those marine space ships from aliens, with hundreds of marines packing each of those cruisers along with a few heavy ordinance such as those awesome and nearly indestructible apc tanks, salvo missile dropships able to blow the fuck out of anything, and of course the regular arms like the pulse rifles, smart guns and flamethrowers. If the marines were actually organized and not running around carelessly in squads of two, just to get eaten by an alien or beheaded by the predator, they could actually annihilate any threat with least casualties and most destructiveness.

Nukes>Organized Military>aliens/predators>Retarded Marines>Boulders>Whiny Teenagers.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
The thing is that, in the field, the marines are always walking into an absolute shit-storm. Think of Aliens, where we first get to see the good ol' USCM boys. All they know is that a colony went silent and they walk into a massive ambush set by the aliens. But that's the thing, the marines are always sent in on rescue missions. Even at the point in the time-line when they know all about the xenos, know how dangerous they are, how they tend to behave, etc. As such, whenever a distress signal is sent and they know it's due to a xeno infestation, why even bother sending down the marines? Why not simply send a ship to nuke the site from orbit? The nuke is always the last resort. The marines go in first, get a grip on the situation, but then something happens...something ALWAYS happens. All hell breaks loose, the comm tower gets fucked somehow in the process, and the best they can do is bunker in and wait for reinforcements to eventually arrive. But as has been proven time and time again, no lockdown is impervious to the xenos.

As far as established base/lab conditions where "The Company" is experimenting on xenos, the safety depends on absolute containment. As soon as containment is breached, they're fucked. I.E. Alien Resurrection. Two drones in a pod containing three of'em attack the third to burn their way out. As soon as the computer sounded the containment breach, it was abandon fucking ship. And that was a huge cruiser with a large garrison of marines. They didn't go into lockdown to try and hunt down the xeno's they immediately broke for the escape pods.

As for preds, the movies pretty much show that one badass human can easily kill the fuck out of a pred. Hell, if Danny Glover can take one down, I'd have to hope a marine squad could...and they do. In all the games, NPC preds get captured and/or killed, and it's up to one particularly skilled hunter to clean up the mess, which he always does. The thing is, however, only Weyland Yutani knows about the preds, and as such the preds' technology, tactics, and physical athleticism can still easily catch the marines off guard. And let's not forget that the pred doesn't care if its weapons are "cheap". it oesn't hesitate to use its shoulder cannon or any other weapon that might be useful in a given situation involving multiple targets. Or it could always just be a dick and cloak-snipe with it's speargun. :P

I do agree, however, that all in all the humans have the greatest arsenal, but they sure as fuck need it. Specifically because 1: they can't see shit, 2: they're physically the weakest species, and 3: they're hindered by the environment the most (that is, preds can jump and climb to places marines can't get too, and obviously the environment is one of the alien's greatest tools).

The funny thing is that, while xenos from the movies tend to heavily rely on their numbers, the xenos you play as in the games are apparently exceptionally cunning and intelligent, capable of slaughtering entire bases and spaceships all by themselves. The same goes for the pred. In every game, you play as the "sweeper pred", the one who is sent in to clean up the mess their dead and/or captured clanmates caused by their failure. As such you proceed to carve a bloody path from your landing zone to where ever the hunt takes you, killing everything that gets in your way. Yes, even the unarmed scientists...at least some of them. They've defiled your race by studying your clanmate's gear and therefor must die...can't have humans walking around with knowledge of your tech, now can you?

But that does remind me, however, that the door swings both...well, I guess all three ways. The marine character in the AvP games is clearly an unstoppable force of unbridled badassness. For the most part in all the games, you're running around solo, and you kill the fuck out of everything that moves...countless, unending swarms of xenos and even a number of preds. So there you go, there ARE human badasses to rival the preds and aliens.

Being stoned, I've started to ramble and have consequently lost my original point. Think it was to say that while the marines are clearly capable of taking down preds and aliens when they work together, as seen in all the games, it only takes a very skilled hunter or a particularly cunning alien to fuck them all up, as also seen in all the games.

Besides, we all know what the marines can do, the question of the topic was between aliens and predators. :P

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 am
Level 4
Level 4

Cash on hand:
My beef with all the alien/predator films is that in each movie, the role of the marines never changes. It's always a small group of nicely equipped troopers going into the unknown, without any information on what they are fighting or how to kill it. This is why I hate the third and fourth alien movies, if ripley survived through the entire time line of all the films combined, it would be impossible for the humans to still have absolutely no knowledge on either the aliens or the predators. Yet they still don't, and they still get raped by the xenomorphs or those guys with shoulder cannons.

If there would be a force of not even hundreds of soldiers but say 5-10 hard boiled marine types like the main marine from the avp2 game, they would already pose a serious threat to pretty much anything in their way. Unless of course they run out of munitions or some tertiary objective gets spoiled, but even then I'm sure they won't be taking the easy way out and just die.

But if the options are only xeno or pred then I'll go from xenomorph, since it's got hive mind, constantly adapting intellect and the best representation of hunting instinct. First and foremost, a zerg rush rapes anything, so there really is no competition if we have a planet/nation/cave populated by millions/thousands of xenomorphs going against predators or marines, they are simply outnumbered (but not overpowered). It's simply impossible for the predators to compete since the only weapon in their arsenal which can be used to kill multiple targets are either the shoulder cannon or the glaive. Second, the xenomorphs are usually very adaptive to their surroundings. When there are constant attacks onto their primary hive, they eventually develop an understanding of what the invaders can do and therefore can perform countermeasures before anything will even reach their hive. Third, they possess the same survival instinct as such as any ordinary roach, they will always make a smarter decision than what marines/predators predict they will do. All that xenomorphs are trying to do is to survive and populate, therefore the only way to destroy them is to concentrate on things of vital importance to their survival such as the queen or the supply of prey used by the face huggers.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:48 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Like I said dude, the humans DO know about the xenos, they know about them from Aliens onword...however, it's the Weyland Yutani corporation that knows, and they're not telling the marines shit. Why? Because it's likely that the army wouldn't allow WY to do what it does if they knew exactly what WY was doing by harvesting "test subjects" to grow their own xenos as biological weapons and such. As for the preds, only a very select few know of their existence, what with all the evidence-destroying nukes and what-not. Obviously WY knows about them, but again: they sure as hell aren't going to tell the marines about them. Also, the preds are harder to predict/find/encounter than the xenos. With the xenos, you just gotta find a planet that they've inhabited. With the preds, you just "get lucky" and have them approach that same planet at the same time that the humans are poking around.

The marines in the games are more informed about the xenos, they know what they're up against and what to expect, and as such they do a decent job all things considered. But like I said: the player xeno comes along and fucks everyone up, showing that it only takes one particularly wicked xeno to send things to hell.

But this brings up something I've been saying since the first AvP movie: all the AvP movies should be like the games and take place in the Alien time-line and not present day.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:12 am
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Dark Jester wrote:
EmoVan wrote:
It's the first I've heard of it being that.

I'm just trying to get Yom to understand what I'm talking about, which apparently he's still missing the point. It's not so much about "what it kills" more "how it kills" and "how effectively it kills". Think of it this way. Assume you're equipped with a pulse rifle, which would you rather have stalking your ass: Alien or Pred?

I get what you're trying to say there, dude. I was just giving my opinion. :dement

For example, we put 200 people in two boxes; 100 each. In box 1, we release a Xeno - in Box 2, we release a Pred. The Xeno will achieve a 100% kill rate; the Pred will achieve a variable amount, depending on the preggo, the weak, the sickly... ergo, it will be hard-pressed to hit the 100% killrate.

NOW WE NEED PICTURZ. We are in agreement over this, yes?

4 pcs.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
:P You're still not quite getting it. Kill count isn't what I'm talking about. But here's a compromise/new way to think about it: do the room experiment you mentioned and yes, the alien would get a 100% kill rate. The pred would get 100% kill rate as well...as far as his actual targets are concerned. The alien targets everything so it kills everything. The pred targets threats and so it kills the threats. In both cases, 100% of the targets are slain. Those that survive the predator's wrath clearly weren't targets themselves.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next