Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 New Episode of my video podcast thing up 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post New Episode of my video podcast thing up
We talk about some entertainment news and screw around and stuff.

Link

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:01 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
Post Re: New Episode of my video podcast thing up
I hate to break it to you, but literally no one watches your videos.

I'm not trying to be a douche, but after seeing how much work you put into these, and how fucking many you've made, it makes me feel bad seeing 1-5 views on all of them.

I'm not a big fan of podcasts, sleepycast being the one exception because they're hilarious animators and always have interesting subjects. They also make sure to cut out all the unnecessary shit that isn't funny. But if you're going to do these podcasts and want people to actually watch them, you probably need to make a lot of changes.

After seeing this video, the first thing that came to mind were the loud, super annoying sounds that interrupted you. I'm sure you were trying to be funny, but they were SOOOO loud, I had to constantly have my finger on the volume stick. Never play loud sounds when someone is speaking, and never have them be louder than your own voice. You're killing people's ears / waking up their neighbors. Sure, playing like a sound over someone is like "haha, I'm interrupting you." But in that case, make it so you at least CAN hear the person talk if you try to listen.

Also, if possible, keep different subjects in different videos. It doesn't hurt to have many smaller videos on youtube, and as long as they're over 30 seconds you can get revenue for them. Instead of having 3 different things in one video, put them in separate ones. This helps isolate the stuff that people find interesting. If people only have interest in hearing about Coleco Chamelion, they're not going to sit through 20 minutes of Venom and Daredevil.

Change your titles and pictures. Use a clear topic. If you're talking about the venom Movie being reconfirmed, then put that in the title, and as picture, use an interesting shot related to that. maybe venom doing some shit, and put everything else in the corner or something. No one is going to find interest in a title that just says "WFMF Entertainment - March 7th, 2016 " use something like "Venom Movie Reconfirmed!" People will see the title and be like "huh, what is this?". Put a nice ass-shot of venom as picture, with your face next to it, being farted on, or what the fuck ever. Don't have your face be the biggest part of the picture. no one even knows you. put that shit in the corner. The topic should be 80% of the picture or more.

Finally, I don't know if you noticed, but the most famous youtube poscasts have people play games as they talk. They basically have what you have PLUS doing something that people can watch. it's like you're using an old format no one uses anymore. You're doing a podcast, but youtube provides you with audio and video. you're just utilizing the audio so far. You should make use of everything youtube provides you. You could draw, play games, compose music, program code, whatever at the same time as you discuss stuff.

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Also, the headbanging stuff in the end was cringe worthy.

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
I actually appreciate the feedback, but I'll note a few things:

1) While we certainly aren't doing great views wise, we do get around 1,000-2,000 views a month across all videos, and have had times where we had a thousand or so on a single video in a week or something. But, we aren't doing great overall for all videos, this we know and do hope to improve, which is why I welcome feedback.

2) We already do cut up our videos into clips based on individual topics. I posted the full episode, but usually that's only reserved for our website, and I haven't even been putting them up there in a while (which is my fault, but whatever). We actually set the full videos to "unlisted" usually, so we don't get many views on them regardless, and don't post them around much. Those videos have more precise topics. I used to do the full episodes with more particular topics, but we don't really show them anywhere anymore and the topics can get rather long for the full episode, so I got lazy and put dates. I can go back to putting in a fuller topic even in these though. I just decided to post the link to the full episode here... because it's you guys.

3) When we started, we actually had games playing instead of showing our faces. Early feedback said that was too distracting and they didn't understand what the deal was, so we tried out showing ourselves, and people liked it a lot better, so we've rolled with it. I know some of the podcasts you are talking about and that's where I got the idea of playing games initially, and we even initially had a plan to try and get a different indie game for each show if possible and give some shout outs to the indie creators (early on, we were in touch with the maker of Catlateral Damage and used that game in it's early form as our video part). I liked that idea myself, but at least our initial audience didn't. I also know of some decently sized podcasts on youtube that do closer to our format, such as CUPodcast, which I've somewhat taken queues from over time, though we try to do more with visuals than they usually do. We'd do a bit more though if it weren't for copyright problems.

Otherwise, I can turn down the sound effects. They mostly only show up in the opening spiel, which most people never see as we focus on the topic videos (the cut up ones) when sharing around and for our subscribers. I thought we had set them at a decent level, but turning it down further isn't a problem.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:19 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Oh, I guess I wasn't paying full attention. I can certainly see why it would be distracting since it runs at like 4 FPS. Though, I can't really be all "hey, you should buy this super expensive equipment!". The sound also seemed okay in those earlier videos. The one you linked here has too loud music and sound effects, though. I think it's that your mics are turned down really low? What audio editing program do you use? There should be automatic spike detection that help remove super loud noises.

Personally I prefer the original format, just that it would be better with a proper smooth video feed and high quality audio, but seeing as that would be costly, I guess it is impossible?

Seeing as you actually are doing many of the things I suggested, with little to no viewer count improvement, though, I guess I should shut my trap hole, lol.

What do you currently do to advertise your channel?

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
We've put some money into equipment, including for various projects outside the podcast which is what we really should do to get people interested (videos that are not so "recent topic" and have more production and such). We have "good at this level" mics and some other stuff, but we don't have full on mixers right now or other equipment. We do run a lot through Jack but I don't mess with it much at this point as I haven't noticed a problem. Could be an issue with not having proper monitor headphones though (we had some, they just broke).

I could, and probably should, run through some other software linked to Jack, just haven't as I'm not as familiar with a lot of it and didn't realize there was that much of a problem, but I can look into more now. If it's just the loudness, I can adjust all that down easily and have separate controls for the effects and music.

The smoothness of the video has been an annoyance to us though. We both have pretty fast internet (including good upload speeds) that should handle the hd feeds just fine, and our webcams are high end for consumer (c920s) and can do well, but something keeps making things go off at times in the video feed. Could be my computer not handling everything (it's fairly pegged running everything we do during the show), could be latency issues, could be just google hangouts having problems (which is what we use currently to handle the video feeds, as it allows us to do it remotely, provides a backup recording, and handles switching between speakers automatically).

Advertising we haven't been great on lately. We sometimes post the topic videos in relevant communities, particularly on Google+ as that gets decent retention and interaction. We also are supposed to have a social media presence on Facebook and Twitter, and we do auto post to twitter but we haven't kept a lot of that stuff up the way we should lately. We had a guy handling our social media for a while that did a decent job for a bit, but he got a new job and didn't have time to help out any more. That's something we really need to do better with, and funnily enough I know a decent bit about handling the social media side (had training in it anyway at a previous job, and was able to promote a blog I ran there decently, though I wouldn't say spectacularly). I sometimes try to post on other youtube videos as our channel (not promote our channel directly that way, as I know that would be ignored or piss people off as spam, but post on channels with similar audiences). So, not a real solid plan in that department.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:50 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]