Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 39  Next
 Chronicles of Jungalore: Rise of Dragons 
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
Post Re: Chronicles of Jungalore Main RP Thread
Mikkael noted the change in gear that Yemhelch displayed, indicating a change in class. To see the armor of a soldier filled Mikkael with a form of joy knowing a comrade would join in the ranks of defending their party. Philena had also given her congratulations to the man, as Mikkael wondered where Natsuki had gone. However, he had figured that she was probably still enjoying the scenery.

"So, something I wanted to discuss." The male meridian began, "I actually understand why the building is closed. There was a murder according to the Selk barkeep."

Mikkael began filling Yemhelch with the details they had found out...

--------------------------------------------------

"OW OW OW OW!" Eiryk complained as Aya tightly wrapped his arm up in bandages.

"Eiryk, we can't have shadow magic coming out from your hands again. The Vexus Circle would kill me." The girl explained.

"But so tight? Besides, how would this keep the shadow magic from being released?"

"It's a special type of light-elemental seal. It should help you keep it in check." Aya explained, bringing a tray of food closer to Eiryk. He took the cup of milk and began drinking it, setting it down when he was satisfied. "I confirmed with my superiors that you will be studying under me until you become an acolyte. That's as far as I can get you."

"Honestly, any assistance in becoming an acolyte faster helps... However, my head's still hurting."

"Yeah, so is mine. I mean, it was weird..."

Eiryk tilted his head and inquired, "Weird? What do you mean?"

"Normally, they would turn down scholars in an instant, but when they heard you were aiming to become an acolyte... They were very eager. I'm not sure what's going on with them, this place has dangers that no ordinary scholar would be able to handle. Even with your... gift."

Eiryk paused, silently looking at his hand as he ate of the soup presented to him with the other.

"So how am I going to be able to learn?"

Aya shook her head. "Well, I suppose I can give you all the books we have on light magic. However, you'd be better staying at Cyndar for this. Although... Hm..."

"What is it?" Eiryk asked, again curious at what the girl was thinking. He noted this about Aya when he met her, that she'd be in thought when speaking with others. However, she looked more and more intense.

"I wonder if they'd even let you become an acolyte. After all, don't you find it weird? If Cyndar is filled with books on light magic and historical texts on Lumbra, why wouldn't they let you have them? It would make your training much easier..."

"That's... actually a great question..."

As Eiryk finished his meal, more questions spawning in his mind than answers now, Aya took his tray and said, "I'll be back with some books, alright? Just rest for now."

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
"I should wear the chainmail under my shirt, actually." Yemhelch adjusted his new armor. "Much more comfier..."

As they discussed the developments, Yemhelch also explained that he had made a quick lookover of the Samurai Hall. "I wanted to check out a tanto, them small, ultrasharp daggers." he said. "Place was closed due to some sort of murder happening in there. The Journeyman Association guys didn't have much info, but they did say that there's already a suspect."

"So, who died anyway? Must've been one big shot for them to close up all the stalls there..."

4 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
The first stack of books was presented to Eiryk.

"This is everything I could find so far. I'll be back to collect any you've finished by tomorrow."

"Thanks Aya, I really appreciate it."

Aya smiled and left Eiryk in solitude. He picked up the first book and turned to the first page. It was simply the Lumbraic bible. Of course, he had read it hundreds of times, and yet, he felt compelled to read through it nonetheless. Yet, he noted something slightly different, the version was older, and it had nine more verses per chapter. He didn't mind the extra reading, and found it quite interesting, however, he felt no true connection to the stories within, as it was but another telling of that which he already knew well enough.

He closed it and set it to the side, picking up the next book. Perhaps this would be even more interesting.

"Afloat and sleeping,
a boy within the great peach,
hero to arise.

Plucked by a woman,
from a river whilst washing,
born in that instant.

God-sent child, awake,
sent from above to their home,
childless no more.

Man, Momotarou,
slayer of demons, oni,
a distant island.

Friend of three beings,
dog, and monkey, and pheasant,
help, offered, taken.

Demons, strong and tall,
their fort, impenetrable,
broken, defeated.

Surrendered, gone,
the oni chief, captured there,
the fort, plundered clean.

Home, Momotarou,
treasure in hand, demon caged,
to your family."

Compelled by the character, he noted the book and left a note in the cover. "Is there more on the character in this story?"

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Suddenly, and without notice, a Paladin in shining white armor walked up to the party, her golden locks like that of the sun, and her blue eyes like the rivers of Vel Da Ir. She had a strong voice which began to explain, "A murder on the Daimyo leader."

She walked up to Yemhelch, presuming him the defense, "Paladin Commander Karliah, I will be taking on the role of prosecutor in this case. You are...?"

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Yemhelch jumped about 2 feet into the air, armor sliding into his shirt as he was almost done adjusting his shirt. "I'm changing my armor loadout." he explained. "Oh yeah, you shouldn't ever give slip that you're a prosecutor in a court of law, especially not in public like that. So... I heard there was a suspect - note, keyword, suspect - was he caught in the act?"

As Paladin Commander Karliah opened her mouth to respond, a look of incredulous shock spreading on her face at the utter cheek of this older man wearing the clothes of a rote peasant, he smiled and stuck out his hand in a handshake. "Soldier, apprentice rank. Yemhelch. By the way, I think you're actually really beautiful."

His smile grew wider. Almost disconcertingly so.

4 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"Er... Uh..."
The prosecutor was speechless. She looked to Mikkael for a moment, thinking him the defense, but then uncertain, given his young appearance.

"Wait, so which one of you is the defense in this case? I was supposed to meet the defense attorney here at precisely this hour." Paladin Karliah noted.

Mikkael shook his head. "I'm not, what do you mean by defense attorney? What's a defense attorney? Heck, what's a prosecutor even?"

"Oh, you've never heard of how Velian courts work? Well, to put it simply, I, the prosecutor, am the one who attempts to prove the current suspect's guilt... Who happens to be a female, I may add. Though she wasn't caught in the act, the evidence is looking strong for the case against her."

Mikkael nodded, trying to understand, "So then this 'attorney' is supposed to prove otherwise?"

"Precisely. So," She turned back to Yemhelch, brushing off his flattery, "Have you happened across the attorney at all? I must meet with them to reach an understanding on what the truth of this case is."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"Oof" he sighed as he corrected himself. Alas, that was the sad fact of rumor mills - facts would change the more they traveled through one.

"I see, so you were supposed to meet the defense attorney here..." Yemhelch nodded, letting his face shift perfectly into a portrait of logical thought. Perhaps Natsuki was the defense attorney? She had agreed to come here almost immediately after she had talked to her Paladin buddy...

His train of thought was interrupted as he spotted a bag hanging from a note from a shuttered stall. "I cannot do this. I'm out. In the bag is what little evidence I gathered. I will not break my perfect record of wins by attempting the impossible."

Huh, she didn't have a bag like this when they arrived, so it must've been somebody else.

He plucked out the note and showed it to Paladin Commander Karliah. "Looks like you're down one defense attorney..." again, he smiled. "Do suspects get visitation rights? I'd like to talk to her."

4 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:35 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"Well, yes, but... Only for friends and family, as well as the attorney. Unless she specifically summons someone as a defense now, though, she'll be tried guilty. However..."

The paladin shifted in position and pointed towards the Samurai Hall.

"I'll let you go for just one visit. They'll grant you a visit with her one time. If she declares you as her attorney, then I'll meet you outside, and give you all the other materials you may need."

Karliah bit her lip, suppressing judgement on the man in tattered clothing, she couldn't believe she was teaching a mere soldier that he could take on the role of attorney. She'd much rather the Meridian, given his higher class, or the female Meridian, still, she wanted to get to the truth of the case, and she'd need someone who knew the way in which courts worked in Vel Da Ir. It seemed as though the soldier would be the best bet.

Mikkael decided to accompany Yemhelch, and told Philena that she should stay and keep a lookout for Natsuki.

They walked up the hundred steps to the Samurai Hall. The towering pagoda looked over the mountains and fields of rice, and one could see all the way to the coast from where they stood. The samurai at the gates nodded to Karliah, then looked over to Yemhelch and Mikkael.

"So, is one of these guys the attorney?"

"One seeks audience with the suspect. The meridian is but his colleague." Karliah noted.

"Then they may enter but one time."

The gates were opened and both Yemhelch and Mikkael were led inside.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"All this trouble for one tanto." Yemhelch smiled, as the doors slammed shut behind him. "Yeah, I'm probably stupid. Probably."

He turned his head to admire the carvings as the walked by - unlike the stonework of Cyndar, these appeared to be made of wood, ceramic and jade - the browns, whites and greens working together to form a splendid tapestry that could not be done with mere stone. As they descended to the basement level, the carvings were replaced with the more practical stone platings. Strong, and served as a foundation for the large pagoda above.

Eventually, they arrived at a holding room, and Karliah turned her attention to Yemhelch. "So, are you going to be her defense attorney?" she asked him.

Again, he responded with another disconcerting grin."I don't know." he said, then his face quickly shifted back into a serious nod. "But at least, I found this letter, and I think I owe it to her to at least let her know what happened. Might as well ask her." a pause as he coughed. "It's the right thing to do."

4 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
The doors to the holding room opened, the suspect was indeed a woman who looked to be in her mid-20s. She had long black hair, red eyes, and palest white skin. She perked up for a moment, and then saw that it was a soldier and a spellsword. From what Mikkael could observe of her body language and facial expression, she must have been conversing with soldiers all day.

The woman finally spoke, her Velian accent quite captivating, "Ah, another visitor to question me? Honestly, I've been through far too many interrogations, and I keep telling you guys that I did not do it."

Mikkael noted her irritation and motioned for Yemhelch to present the letter. Reading it, the woman gave a sigh.

"It's hopeless then."

Mikkael spoke up, "H-Hey! It's not hopeless, Yemhelch here would like to speak with you regarding the letter. Right?"

"Yes, well, it seems my time is up anyways... Without a defense attorney by tomorrow, they'll pronounce me guilty."

The woman was now resting her head in her hands.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"Look at me." Yemhelch spoke. His usual, jovial tone was gone. Now he sounded more like a hardened veteran - sharp, and used to being obeyed. Even Karliah made a single step back at this sudden change. But it was the girl his order was directed to. Despite her resignation, her body snapped to attention at the command, years of training in discipline rushing her body through the motions in complete muscle memory.

Karliah trembled - what was this tension in the air? She felt as if she should draw her honed war-sword, but her muscles would not move. Mikkael looked on, perplexed and was constantly blinking at the sudden change in demeanor of their traveling companion.

"I'll ask you one question." Yemhelch continued. "Just one. Answer with a yes or a no."

The girl in the kimono nodded, unnerved by this sudden change of tone.

"Were you involved in the murder of the Daimyo?"

"No..."

"That's all I wanted to know." Yemhelch smiled, his voice returning to normal - and it felt like the tension in the air melted away. "If you would have me, I would be honored to prove your innocence."

"I... I don't have any money left... that other attorney..." she started

"I don't need money."

Karliah exhaled as her hand reached for her war-sword, and then, realizing where she was, soundlessly re-sheathed her tempered blade.

There was a moment of silence as she nodded. "Very well. I... I accept."

4 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Now in another room, Mikkael and Yemhelch were sat across from Prosecutor Karliah.

"Now I want you two to understand very carefully the situation you're both in... If I were to prove her guilty of the crime, she would be sentenced to death. Furthermore, a Velian court of law will only allow for five errors on either the prosecution's side or the defense's side. If either side makes five errors, such as by presenting irrelevant evidence or pointing out false contradictions, the other side wins the case."

Mikkael nodded, "I see. I'll keep note of this just in case. In fact, let me keep track of everything, Yemhelch, and if you need to reference something, I will help with that."

"Next, I am obligated to disclose all evidence obtained thus far to you," Karliah began, pulling out several sketches, diagrams, and files, "I know this seems like a lot, but I can explain it all. Keep record of the following..."

EVIDENCE
-Victim File: Reizei Cynric'dair, 23, Human Fire Draco, was stabbed by the katana which lead to instantaneous death. The murder occurred on the third day of the Festival of the Lily.
-Two-Handed Katana: The weapon used to murder Reizei.

PROFILES
-Yemhelch: Attorney, Soldier.
-Karliah: Prosecutor, Paladin.
-Mikkael: Spellsword and companion.
-Natsuki: Scholar and companion.
-Philena: Summoner and companion.
-Reizei: Daimyo and victim.
-Hiroko: Samurai apprentice and primary suspect.

"It will be up to you to investigate the crime scene, the victim's body, their personal effects at the time, and question anyone you believe is involved with the crime." Karliah's tone became stronger as she spoke her next words. "I recommend you look at this not about a matter of win or lose like the attorney before you, but as a search for truth, Mr. Yemhelch. That said, here are the keys to the places you need to visit."

NEW EVIDENCE OBTAINED

EVIDENCE
-Victim File: Reizei Cynric'dair, 23, Human Fire Draco, was stabbed by the katana which lead to instantaneous death. The murder occurred on the third day of the Festival of the Lily.
-Two-Handed Katana: The weapon used to murder Reizei.
-Samurai Hall Keys: Two keys to certain rooms within the Samurai hall, one is quite ornate and slightly speckled, marked "Victim's Room" and another is marked as "Autopsy Room".

"Good luck, let's uncover the truth behind this murder."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"Lets start by reviewing the autopsy. Where was she stabbed? Must've been a zinger if it caused instant death..." Yemhelch started. "While we're at it, I'd like to take a look at the murder weapon..."

As Yemhelch entered the autopsy room, he took one of the glasswork lights and put on a pair of silk gloves, so as to avoid contaminating the evidence - the magicked stones providing a welcome sharp light for his inspection...

First, he looked over the katana, as he approached the body. That's when he noticed Mikkael looking utterly nervous. Odd...

"Hey, Mikkael... sorry I dragged you into this..." he said. "You allright?"

4 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"Yeah, I'm fine. This is just pretty intense is all..." He looked over the body of the woman who once had called him a monster. The same woman who turned out to be a monster herself.

"Hey, that's odd..." Mikkael noted...

Link

Body: Thrust wound to the chest. Reizei's pale white skin seems to have suffered some form of redness over the chest wound as well, though it doesn't appear to be from swelling.

Effects: Samurai armor found on the body at the time of death. There appears to be a cut in the chest piece smaller at the front than at the back.

Murder Weapon: A two-handed katana. It seems to have blood on it still, and the size seems to match the wounds in the body. The tip seems slightly dulled.

OPTIONS
-Compare Evidence
-Analysis: The Stab (Yemhelch uses new knowledge of weaponry from his soldier class to analyze the stab.)
-Analysis: Swelling? (Mikkael uses his knowledge of magic and weapons to analyze the strange swelling.)
-Analysis: Armor (Locked: Requires Master Blacksmith or Evidence Comparison)

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
The way the tone of his voice shifted at the word 'intense', Yemhelch's stomach suddenly sank as he realized that Mikkael, the more experienced fighter of the group may had known the poor girl who was now stretched across the stone bed. Which made what he was about to do relatively disturbing.

He reached out, his hands covered by the silk glove and gently eased open her eye and studied the pupil. After quickly taking some notes, he eased it shut and passed the notes to Mikkael, while he studied the weapon itself.

4 pcs.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:36 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 39  Next