Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 39  Next
 Chronicles of Jungalore: Rise of Dragons 
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Post Re: Chronicles of Jungalore Main RP Thread
He was far off, but even then he had no trouble recognizing Mikkael's pet Barioth - in hot pursuit of a man on a bird-like beast. Instead of a chase as he expected, the man(? He couldn't get a good view) riding the bird-like wyvern made a powerful U-turn, mouthing a challenge to Mikkael, whose mount rapidly closed in the distance.

"If your friend there gets defeated..." the man wearing a straw hat and a tattered tunic smiled as he climbed aboard the roof. "He'll definitely die."

Whirling around, Yemhelch faced down his mentor.

"Are you going to stop me?"

He laughed as he shook his head. "No. I was going to tell you that there's a great crossbow in the keep over there. So, will you go?"

Yemhelch fell silent. Mikkael had asked him to guard their base. And yet...

"Yeah, he told you to guard this place - no, by that he meant the woman below, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Don't worry. I'll make sure this place is safe." the man smiled as his form shifted into that of an ancient man in black robes. With a motion of his hand, the flooring of the roof began to distort - and things with no names began to crawl out. Misshapen silhouettes of bodies, bearing black swords and shields, serpents of shadow with fangs dripping with liquid that silenced light, and finally - a giant of a man formed from what appeared to be jet-black liquid, with a tower shield and a spiked club 10 feet tall.

"Thank you, teacher..."

"It's no trouble. Now go."

-

The battle in the sky had joined, and Yemhelch moved carefully - if he was seen by either party, the advantage of an ambush attack would be nullified. Climbing into the shattered keep - destroyed by the exit of the beasts in the sky, he found what he was looking for: A gigantic crossbow, inch-by-inch matching the size of that of Mikkael's old Greatsword.

BURDEN PENALTY: 30
AMBUSH BONUS: 20
Minimum Required Roll: 80 for direct hit.
WARNING: ROLL BELOW 20 AND MIKKAEL'S MOUNT WILL BE HIT FOR 6000/2 DAMAGE.

Most of the massive bolts it fired were damaged by the rubble, but he did find one relatively intact bolt standing 4 feet tall. Inserting the bolt into the muzzle and hefting the massive thing into his arms with a pained grunt, he peeked out of the rubble at the combatants locked in a dogfight up above.

One shot. Just like last time.

He took careful aim...

... just like last time...

... there they were...

"...Load balancer critical. Arms cannot take much more of this strain."

... the voices... at least 10, 20 people...

"...Adjust 0.0002 degrees headward for compensation for drop..."

... speaking in an alien language he did not know...

His vision swam... the floaters in his eyes shifting and dancing... from squiggles to clearly defined lines as they went from thin black to a sharp blue...

"Enhanced Visual mode OK. Calculations for projectile/wind interaction complete."

"FIRE!"

ROLL 84

DIRECT HIT!
ROLL FOR WOUNDS.
The flying crossbow bolt smashes into the chest of the Qurupeco!

It's left vocal sac has been ruptured!
An artery has been torn!
The spinal cord is torn!
The heavy bolt is lodged in its chest!
The chest cavity collapses!
The trachea is torn open!

1000x6 Damage!

4 pcs.

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Registered users
Ahnbein looked like she was thinking for a while, then began writing, "I've been stuck in that cold, dark cell for I don't even know how long... One thing I'd like to do is explore the world now and go on adventures, helping people... I think I'm going to become a knight in a far-off land."

"Knight, huh?" Timmy remarked "If you're going to do something like that, make sure you're ready. I'd hate to hear all the trouble that I went to to save you was for nothing because you got yourself eaten by some dragon... Especially if you truly are the King's Daughter. Speaking of which, would you mind tagging along with me just for a while? I'm sure you'll be all right, but I want to be certain."

Ahnbein nodded slowly and began writing again, "Why did you go to all this trouble to save me? We don't even know each other."

"Two reasons. Reason one, what happened to you was truly terrible, even if you aren't the King's Daughter, there was no reason for them to slice your tongue out and throw you in jail, let alone put you with some the worst people imaginable... The second reason is a little complicated, and I'll tell you about it once we're alone."

Timmy looked around, it seemed like no one was even there, they were already alone, "Shit, we missed the raid, nevertheless I can come to the story now. The thing is, I'm not from this world. I have no idea how far away I am from home, but I know I can probably never go back. My home is sort of like this one. Although, we don't have magic. We have science and guns, and our technology is better, where here there is magic and you can will things into being. Anyway, there was a war between us and seven beautiful sirens, my home was not perfect but these sirens corrupted everything that came to contact with themselves, so myself and a few of my friends got together and decided to do something about it."
He took a deep breath and added, "Each of the sirens seemed to be connected to one of the seven deadly sins, and every town was connected to the sin of the siren that controlled it... You understand so far?"

Ahnbein shook her head and wrote again, "Sort of, but I don't know what this has to do with me, and it seems like your world, wherever this place is, if it even exists, runs by much different rules to our own."

"Well, the words of the sirens were always messing with people. A friend of ours was a big fan of them, she loved to hear them sing. Her name was Annabelle, and she was one of the most wonderful, kind, and caring women I have ever known. We hadn't known it at the time, but she was the one behind everything, using the corruption to empower herself."

Tiimmy got a far-off look in his eye, "I... I didn't want to kill her... I told him three times I didn't want part in that fight... That stupid fucking song...!" He wiped his eyes as he continued, "I'm sorry you had to see that, I don't like crying in front of people."

Ahnbein began writing one more time with what little parchment she had left, "One last question, how exactly did you get here then?"

"Well, I have a son. He is a powerful telepath, and he sent me here because since the war I've been having terrible nightmares, where I keep reliving the battle."

She gave a nod, "So he picked up on me and thought I was your friend... and then sent you out here to find me."

"Close enough." Timmy answered.

"Sounds like you've been through a lot. However, I am sorry to say I am not that woman." Ahnbein responded.

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
The prison riot was finally broken up, with seers and sorcerers from the Guild joining ranks with the Knights to put down the uprising. It had taken them all day, but at last - a sense of calm fell on Cyndar as the suns set. Natsuki, along with her guild group, trudged back to headquarters.

What a day.

At least she had some interesting souvenirs to show from her journey. She recalled the giant jellyfish, and her notes she took at the Vel Da Ir scroll collection, and finally her impromptu lesson of elementary-grade elemental magic.

"Elementary-grade elemental magic..."

She smirked.

Natsuki has learned Fire Shot (Magic 1) and Ice Shot (Magic 1)!

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:35 am
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
Mikkael watched as the Qurupeco took severe damage to its body. He turned and noticed someone utilizing a ballista on the weathered desert walls of Selk.

"Yemhelch... Once again, you help out. I owe you a few more free meals..." Mikkael remarked, then set his sights on the shuddering Qurupeco, barely keeping flight, "Ar gyfer y gogoniant yr Mer Ymerodraeth!"

Afalans flew at high speeds with Mikkael's sword drawn, he cut down the Qurupeco in one swing of his blade and the bird fell to the ground bellow, crashing onto the spikes of the Assassin's Guild walls! Blackbeard fell off the beast, having sustained heavy damage.

Damage From Ballista: 6000 - 60 = 5940
Damage From Mikkael: 860 - 60 = 800
Qurupeco Defeated!
Falling Damage: 1000 - 95 = 905 Damage!

Attack Order:
1. Mikkael (430/232/40/102)
M. Afalans (210/150/165/185)
Life: 8500
Will: 3100
Familiar Life: 25300
Familiar Will: 3000

2. Blackbeard (210/126/55/42)
Life: 9045
Will: 2450

"Ngh..." Blackbeard uttered, struggling to get up from the fall. Mikkael smiled, he knew he could completely ravage the false captain.

Mikkael can move four more times!
Rushing up to the pirate leader, Afalans hip-checks the pirate captain into a wall before beginning to devour the man on the spot. Mikkael pins the nekor against the wall with his buster sword dealing massive damage!

Afalans' Critical Hit Damage: 6(210) - 126 = 1134 [BLEED]
Afalans' Bash Damage: 4(210) - 126 = 714 [STUN]
Mikkael's Bash Damage: 4(430) - 126 + 150 = 1744 [WEAK]
Total Damage: 1134 + 714 + 1744 = 1848 + 1744 = 2848 + 744 = 3548 + 44 = 3588 + 4 = 3592 Damage!

Mikkael then orders Afalans to hop back as the blood gushes from Blackbeard's body. Mikkael then orders, "Show him your frost breath!"

Afalans' Frost Damage: 2(4(165) - 42) = 1236 Damage!
New Total: 3592 + 1236 = 4828 Damage!

Blackbeard barely moves as he takes additional bleeding damage!

Attack Order:
1. Mikkael (430/232/40/102)
M. Afalans (210/150/165/185)
Life: 8500
Will: 3085
Familiar Life: 25300
Familiar Will: 3000

2. Blackbeard (210/126/55/42)
Life: 4017 [STUN][BLEED][WEAK]
Will: 2450

Mikkael grins at the speed of which he took down the false captain, Everyone else had gathered around, and Mikkael charged forwards, delivering five consecutive attacks alongside his Barioth.

Blackbeard reached for the Scepter as Mikkael dismounted the large beast. He had won.

"Meridian... Do not think this is the end... I will come back from the depths of oblivion... You and all you hold dear will be- GAAAAAAAAGH!"

"Caewch y FFYC i fyny!" Mikkael finished, literally pulling Blackbeard's head from his body, his spinal cord dangling from his head. Mikkael took the man's head and tossed it to the sea, letting the fishes eat of him. He left the rest of the body to the pirates that remain, who cheered him on as he tossed the Nekor's head to the sea. Mikkael once more met with the true pirate captain, now donning his full formal attire, and joining him was the master of the assassins, Scorpio.

"Well done, Mikkael, you have shown true bravery going into the Cyndar Prison to rescue Black Sam." Scorpio mentioned. Shade joined him shortly at his side.

"Indeed," She spoke, "you've become quite strong, and your killing skill has totally increased.~" She noted, giving him a wink.

Bellamy walked up, "I thank you, Mikkael, I am indeed in your debt. Though our vaults are empty, tell me anything you wish for, and I will see to it that it's done."

Mikkael gave it some thought for a moment then shook his head, "I just want you to do as you've always done. Help these people. This city is desolate and in need of many repairs, Bellamy, your influence will prove invaluable in ensuring that the town of Selk returns to its former glory."

"It shall be so, then." Bellamy added. He turned to Scorpio who gave a nod, "Mikkael, the Scepter of Selk is a powerful artifact, used to determine who is right to rule the land of Jungalore. I hope that you are willing to accept it from us."

Holding out the bloodied Scepter, Mikkael took it in his hand as it faintly began to glow, as if breathing, "I take the Scepter, but not to rule, for I am a barbarian, a bandit of high caliber, and my life takes me beyond where one would sit upon a throne."

Bellamy smiled, "So be it, then please, with your knowledge and power, determine one who is right to rule in Jungalore."

Mikkael nodded, and took the Scepter with him back to the base...

---SCEPTER OF SELK QUEST COMPLETED---
Mikkael: +5 Quest Completions, +Scepter of Selk
Timmy: +2 Quest Completions
(NPC) Ahnbein Altena Unlocked!
The Demeter Isles can now be visited!
Anyone can now visit the Pirate's Guild, regardless of class and without a need for the code.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
((I went ahead and updated the files in the final download because wiki work is actually quite slow.))

With the scepter now locked away and the new gang all settled in, Mikkael was surprised to see a familiar face walk into his clan house.

"Prosecutor Karliah...? What happened to you? Where's your shining armor? And who is this?" Mikkael asked. The bandits all watched as Karliah walked in wearing much more standard armor than when she was an official paladin. Mikkael also looked to the scholar behind her and sized him up. He had a seal of Vex Vinas in his one pocket, was he a part of the research team? No, couldn't be, he looked too green to be a researcher, and too new to the ways of the world. So new that he probably didn't figure he'd walked right into a bandit clan.

"Mr. Altans? What are you doing consorting with bandits?" She asked, legitimately curious.

The two stared at each other for a moment before Mikkael came to a conclusion, "I suppose we both have long stories to share, huh?"

Mikkael listened carefully to Karliah's words as she detailed everything, from Eiryk breaking her out during the raid of Vex Vinas to their trip through the jungles surrounding Lake Forkheads. Mikkael himself told her all about how he conducted the raid on Cyndar's prison and was a part of the raid of Vex Vinas.

"Mr. Altans, you realize that's a serious crime. You practically destroyed a whole city, forget finding Avalon and offering a place to stay." She remarked, although, the stares from the bandits shut her up afterwards.

"I'm well aware, prosecutor, but the thing is-" Mikkael began speaking, but Philena put a finger to his mouth.

"Karliah... Have you ever been in love?" Philena asked, suddenly. The former paladin jerked in place.

"O-Of course I have...!" She paused, arms crossed, everyone was silent as the seconds ticked by, "... With the captain of the knights..."

More seconds ticked by.

"... When I was ten..."

Philena smiled, "Then you probably remember wanting to do anything to share that love or to save your love. Right? Well, that's what Mikkael was going through..." The meridian girl explained, "I know that if he were in my situation, I'd do the same."

"... Still, that doesn't justify it." Karliah noted, "While I can't exactly charge you with anything, given that the city is gone now, I will tell you that you probably shouldn't have done that, Mikkael."

The meridian shrugged, "Well, some things just don't go according to plan. I mean, I didn't even want to blow up the tower, it was just a matter of unfortunate circumstances."

"But to kill your own grandfather, too?" Karliah questioned.

Mikkael gave it some thought and turned to Eiryk, "Hey, Advento, what do you think? You're to be an acolyte, what do you think I should have done?"

Eiryk thought about it for a second, "Well... I guess there's nothing else you really could have done. Given everything that happened, you did what you thought was best."

Mikkael smiled and nodded.

"Still though, for Tarlak to seek Philena here," Karliah began, giving it some thought, "I wonder... Are you going to kill him?"

Mikkael laughed, "Kill him? That's preposterous. I'd kill him if he dared lay a hand on her, but this is a minor setback. I'm going to be with Philena one way or another, and that's final. Even if he has more money and more of a positive reputation, I know full well I am hers alone in the end. That's where my next adventure takes me."

The former paladin couldn't help but smile, "Cute... Still, I was wondering, Mikkael, despite our past legal battle and differences, I was wondering if I could lay low here for a while."

Mikkael shrugged, "By all means. Although, you'll be treated as a part of the clan. Thus, you will assist the clan where necessary." Karliah nodded affirmatively and Mikkael turned to Eiryk, saying, "Thank you for bringing Karliah here, Advento, if there's anything you need, feel free to speak with me."

"Actually, there is. See, I originally went to Vex Vinas seeking out the new blacksmith there, and was hoping he could craft me a weapon befitting an acolyte. I noticed you have a forge, would you mind making me a weapon? I'll pay you whatever you need." Eiryk explained.

Mikkael laughed a little, "Oh yeah, I guess I was away from Vex Vinas for a while before I raided it..."

Karliah and Eiryk gave a collective, "... Huh?"

"Wait, YOU'RE the blacksmith of Vex Vinas!?" The beginner scholar exclaimed. Mikkael laughed once more and nodded.

"Well, to say I was would be more accurate. Mikkael added, scratching the back of his head, "Still, a weapon befitting an acolyte... If you want to become a priest, you're better off seeing an artificer and asking for a wand."

Eiryk shook his head, "I won't be able to be a priest now. I helped Karliah escape."

"Hm, I suppose that is somewhat of a problem, given that you appear to be a disciple of the Lumbraic faith." Mikkael stated, observing the wear of the scholar, "Ever consider visiting Vel Da Ir?" The meridian added. Karliah coughed a little and he turned to her.

"Well, see, when I left Vel Da Ir, they kicked my order out of there, even if Eiryk were to go there, there will be Inquisition Templars and Paladins far and wide."

Mikkael gave it some thought, then he smiled, stating, "Even if there were, Kazeko wouldn't allow it, and neither would our new Master Daimyo friend."

"If I may," Eiryk interjected, "I don't think I want to be a priest anymore anyways." He turned, looking out the window, "Yes, I would learn ways to help the needy, but I don't think being a priest would suit me in the end, at least not like it used to."

Karliah and Mikkael looked at one another, thinking the same thing, "Vel Da Ir, go to it. Find the Master Jiu Duan, Arisa. She will guide you." Eiryk nodded, getting up to leave, but before he could go, Mikkael grabbed his shoulder, "Remember, eyes on the target, not the prize, and if you want to help out here, I am glad to have you. I'll get to work on any weapon you want once you have your head clear... Free of charge."

Nodding, Eiryk left the building.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Drink in hand, he had stewed in the bathroom long enough to let his strained arms recover from the punishing test he had put them through. Even now, bruises showed on his knuckles where he had slightly dislocated them when the recoil from the enormous crossbow had smashed through his arms. He hadn't even noticed the fact that he was bleeding until he saw the red stain on his shoulder.

"Adrenaline is one hell of a drug..." he mused to himself as he stepped out of the bath and wrapped his body in a warm, fluffy coat. A sharp crack sounded from his ribs as they set themselves - still recovering from the massive impact he had took.

"...can't exactly charge you with anything, given that the city is gone now, I will tell you..."

That voice. He had heard it before.

Putting down his drink on the table, he followed that voice to the foyer and spotted...

"Oh hey, Karliah. So, was my warning useful? Looks like you took my advice after all." he grinned at her after a few seconds. "And here I thought you were gonna march right to Cyndar and end up on the chopping block and I'd never see you again, especially how I had to abandon tailing you after I realized that the necromancers had led my friend here into a trap."

His grin faded as his voice shifted down into a darker, graver tone. "So, what's this about blaming Mikkael for something he didn't do?"

Karliah moved to reply. "He said he raided Vex Vinas. Doesn't that count as an admission of guilt?"

"OBJECTION. I have here a copy of today's Selk Standard." Yemhelch countered. "It says here that well over a hundred witnesses saw several large, white-hot fireballs being summoned from the top of the tower, before being used to obliterate large sections of the tower which caused the collapse. It's impossible for Mikkael to have cast this spell."

Karliah grabbed the offered copy and read through it - her eyes stopping at the sections in which the citizens had directly named Mikkael's grandfather as the only person in the whole city capable of using such high-end magic.

"Secondly, Mikkael's grandfather appeared to be the leader of the necromancer faction in Vex Vinas. If Mikkael did indeed kill him, he did the world a favor. At least the people are safe. Left to his own devices, we all probably have a general idea what necromancers do with live test subjects - or, in this case; a full city of test subjects."

Eiryk gulped - almost invisibly.

The mood in the room was boiling with tension, when Yemhelch laughed out loud - breaking the silence. "Damn, I've been stewing in the bath too long and I'm all pruned up! Be right back, gotta put some proper clothes on."

4 pcs.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:34 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Mikkael's arms were folded as Karliah slammed her fist down, "YOU CAN'T SERIOUSLY BE TELLING ME THAT I HAVE TO SHARE THIS PLACE WITH HIM!?"

Mikkael shrugged, "He's a comrade. Either way, what he said is true. He had attempted to attack us with a meteor spell, but unfortunately for him, the tower was destroyed. I suppose it didn't help that I broke his face beforehand."

Karliah gave a heavy sigh, "Well, I can at least respect that you dealt with a serious threat to the kingdom..."

Mikkael looked at Karliah quizzically as she took a long drink of her ale, then he asked, "Say, Karliah, what is it about the necromancers? Also, what of Baphomatt?"

Karliah looked at the meridian with a stern and uncertain look, "The necromancers are but priests of another religion. During the ancient wars, long since passed, necromancers and priests would work together and assist each other, but everything changed one day, and since then, we've been enemies ever since. We of the Lumbra Orthodoxy cast down the shadows, while they embrace them."

Philena then asked, "So what do they seek?"

"... A resurrection." Karliah answered, taking a drink, "They seek to bring that dark goddess to this world, to cause the same ruination as with Former Queen Zeden Altena when she hijacked the body. Did you notice Eiryk's arm? He has a mark left by the same experiments conducted on you, Philena. The key difference is what they were seeking in the end. One sought the return of a goddess, and the other sought immortality."

"I see... Then, Baphomatt?" Mikkael asked again. Karliah shook her head.

"While Baphomatt is a necromancer, he has always stayed on his own path. I know not of what he seeks, and not even the rest of the order does. All we know is that even Kaaos, the leader of the Umbraria Order, doesn't even trust him." She stared into the empty cup as Philena poured her another drink, "I'm damn sure that Umbraria doesn't even agree with him, given his level of insanity..."

"Alright... Well, it's good to know more about this enemy of ours." Mikkael nodded, thinking to himself. Clearly, if Jungalore was to be safe, necromancers would need to be exterminated, but surely not all necromancers are or were evil, even referenced by Karliah. If they were good enough at one point to warrant them working together, then what changed?

On top of this, the fact that even she didn't know of what happened to Baphomatt worried Mikkael. If he was still around, then he'd definitely prove to be more threatening the longer he is left alive. If he walks his own path as a necromancer, then surely he himself has some other goal... But what?

Mikkael stretched in his chair, rubbing his brow, and Philena looked to both her boyfriend and Karliah, curious as to what the two of them were thinking.

Mikkael then turned to Philena, "Hey, Philena?" The girl perked up for a moment as he spoke, "Want to head back to New Meridia sometime? I need to meet up with Tarlak and give him a piece of my mind."

Philena's blue eyes then darted left and right, "What? Why do I have to go?"

"Because I want you to tell him how you feel about me." Mikkael began to grin, and while Philena didn't get it at first, she gave a gasp when it became apparent to her.

"M-Mikkael! You don't mean...!" She covered her mouth as Mikkael nodded.

He laughed and then held her hand in his, "So, is it a yes?"

"... Yeah. Let's head out tomorrow."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Ahnbein looked like she was thinking for a while, then began writing, "I've been stuck in that cold, dark cell for I don't even know how long... One thing I'd like to do is explore the world now and go on adventures, helping people... I think I'm going to become a knight in a far-off land."

"Knight, huh?" Timmy remarked "If you're going to do something like that, make sure you're ready. I'd hate to hear all the trouble that I went to to save you was for nothing because you got yourself eaten by some dragon... Especially if you truly are the King's Daughter. Speaking of which, would you mind tagging along with me just for a while? I'm sure you'll be all right, but I want to be certain."

Ahnbein nodded slowly and began writing again, "Why did you go to all this trouble to save me? We don't even know each other."

"Two reasons. Reason one, what happened to you was truly terrible, even if you aren't the King's Daughter, there was no reason for them to slice your tongue out and throw you in jail, let alone put you with some the worst people imaginable... The second reason is a little complicated, and I'll tell you about it once we're alone."
Timmy looked around, it seemed like no one was even there, they were already alone, "Shit, we missed the raid, nevertheless I can come to the story now. The thing is, I'm not from this world. I have no idea how far away I am from home, but I know I can probably never go back. My home is sort of like this one. Although, we don't have magic. We have science and guns, and our technology is better, where here there is magic and you can will things into being. Anyway, there was a war between us and seven beautiful sirens, my home was not perfect but these sirens corrupted everything that came to contact with themselves, so myself and a few of my friends got together and decided to do something about it."
He took a deep breath and added, "Each of the sirens seemed to be connected to one of the seven deadly sins, and every town was connected to the sin of the siren that controlled it... You understand so far?"

Ahnbein shook her head and wrote again, "Sort of, but I don't know what this has to do with me, and it seems like your world, wherever this place is, if it even exists, runs by much different rules to our own."

"Well, the words of the sirens were always messing with people. A friend of ours was a big fan of them, she loved to hear them sing. Her name was Annabelle, and she was one of the most wonderful, kind, and caring women I have ever known. We hadn't known it at the time, but she was the one behind everything, using the corruption to empower herself."

Tiimmy got a far-off look in his eye, "I... I didn't want to kill her... I told him three times I didn't want part in that fight... That stupid fucking song...!" He wiped his eyes as he continued, "I'm sorry you had to see that, I don't like crying in front of people."

Ahnbein began writing one more time with what little parchment she had left, "One last question, how exactly did you get here then?"
"Well, I have a son. He is a powerful telepath, and he sent me here because since the war I've been having terrible nightmares, where I keep reliving the battle."

She gave a nod, "So he picked up on me and thought I was your friend... and then sent you out here to find me."

"Close enough." Timmy answered.

"Sounds like you've been through a lot. However, I am sorry to say I am not that woman." Ahnbein responded.

Timmy nodded, "So what do you say we see how the raid is going and try not to die?" He suggested in a sarcastic tone. They walked off the ship together and into the Pirates Guild, where it seemed the raid had already ended. Timmy stopped at the receptionist, "Good to see you still alive." he remarked.

"Aye aye mate." He responded in kind, "Good to see you too. So, I heard you helped break the cap'n out."

"Yeah," Timmy answered, "that wasn't why I was there, but I did help."
"Well thanks anyways mate. It's great to see the cap'n back with us, even if he did try to choke me earlier..."

Timmy was in shock for a minute, but then remembered the captain had just been broken out of the darkest prison cell in Cyndar. So of course he would be a little bit hostile. Timmy continued away from the subject, "One last thing, any idea where I can get some paper as well as something to write with?"

"You could probably find some in one of the shops. Doubt anyone will be there, so you might just be able to take it. I doubt they would care anyway, it's only parchment." The receptionist stated, "Also, given that the true cap'n is back, you'll no longer need to worry about that membership. The guild is always open to you."

Timmy thanked the receptionist, and walked in with Ahnbein behind him. There were several shops of all varieties, clothing shops, weapon shops, jewel vendors, all selling all varieties of items, which was quite an amazing sight to behold, especially considering the kind of place Selk was. Most, if not all, of them we're empty though. Eventually Timmy came across the shop that just looked like it was selling miscellaneous goods but no one was attending it. He took about 10 sheets of paper and a quill and handed it to Ahnbein. He thought about just leaving but then he remembered that the receptionist said something to him about pirates not robbing their own crew, so he left about 20 Legens on the counter and asked Ahnbein, "Do you think that would be enough?"

Ahnbein smiled Timmy took that as a yes. However, he detected something, a hint of frustration? She began writing in a quick jerky fashion, you only need look at the movements of her quill pen, "I hate not being able to speak now. It's so hard to get your point across without talking. People aren't really sure what to do. Sometimes they unintentionally talk to you like you're a little kid."
Timmy responded, "Believe it or not, I sort of understand where you're coming from. I'm not mute but I am disabled." Timmy rolled up his pant leg and revealed silver implants on his legs connecting to wires leading up to his spine, which he also revealed as having silver implants inside his back. He continued, "These implants help me walk. Before that, I kind of went through the same thing. When I went on the street people would grab their kids to the side like they were going to catch something. I may not have the same disability as you, but I do know what what it's like." Timmy thought for a minute, "If you want I can try to teach you sign language. It's sort of like talking with your hands, and it was invented to help people who couldn't hear or speak."

Ahnbein nodded her head with a big smile on her face, she didn't even have to write it down, as her face said it all.

As they were walking into the room are all the pirates were hanging out and getting things set up again, Timmy said without looking at everyone, "I'm not the best so forgive me if I'm a little bit off on some things." The smile left Timmy's face as soon as he turned around and saw the two dead bodies and the hole in the wall, "Holy shit, what the hell?

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Night was falling, and Blackbeard's demise had already made splashing waves at Selk. While it didn't quite trickle down to public awareness (he had a hunch that tomorrow's newspaper would break it open, however), already, there was a palpable level of excitement at their headquarters - and the furious whispers from pirates and hunter squads gave lots of impetus for rumors. Already, reconstruction efforts had begun and the Pirates guild HQ was illuminated by several mages with torchlight spells as workers and hired laborers.

"This far away, it looks something like a half-finished lighthouse..." he mused to himself as he stirred his drink. It seemed that Karliah and the h-(uh, I mean Eyrik) had something of importance to discuss, so he had taken his leave to a bar just across the street. From his vantage point, he could watch the house, and the surrounding roads. If Karliah was out to ambush his friends...

He smiled at the thought.

His reverie was broken by someone sitting on his table. Well-toned thighs, a waspish waist, dainty arms, nice, perky breasts - her lithe body covered in what looked like a two-piece swimsuit. "Ahoy, matey!" she drawled out, leaning forwards and giving him a good view of her cleavage. "Somethin' real good's happened! So tonight, all drinks are on the house! Thought you'd wanna know about it, landlubber."

"Thank you." Yemhelch gave her a polite nod.

The booze was flowing well tonight, and so did the rumors.

"I hear that there's been a big change up in the pirates' guild!"
"They say Ol' Bell beheaded Blackbeard!"
"Didn't you hear? Avalon has been found!"
"Blackbeard was eaten by a dragon!"
"The real Blackbeard has slain the false!"
"A mysterious sniper killed Blackbeard!"
"The pirates are the good guys!"
"The old boss has come back from the dead!"
"A meridian King has come to Selk!"

As he settled back, he saw Timmy walk by the street towards the HQ - with a girl with brilliant blonde hair. She was carrying a sheaf of papers and what appeared to be a fancy quill pen. "Perhaps an architect?" he mused to himself as he sipped the rum he had ordered. He'd introduce himself later. Right now, he had a target to watch.

4 pcs.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
((Sorry for the long delay in this post. Was busy of the FH Discord and recently got into a relationship. We be FH Poster Couple now. That said, let's begin! Mikkael Story Arc 3!))

Mikkael woke from his slumber and looked to Philena cuddled up to him, he stroked her shoulder, giving her a light shake. The meridian girl was looking into his eyes and Mikkael smiled. It was time for them to head out. He was worried as she had left the night before, and Mikkael wasn't informed as to why, however, Philena had ensured that it was something important.

Getting geared up, Mikkael and Philena kept Afalans at the stables.

"It's an underwater city, unfortunately that won't do for my dear Barioth." Mikkael stated, talking to the banker. The clerk nodded, making sure Afalans was comfortable heading into their stables.

Mikkael and Philena jumped into the Selkie coast and swam in the direction of New Meridia.

--------------------------------------------------

The two arrived in New Meridia by noon and as they arrived in the plaza, Mikkael was hit with a familiar feeling.

*STARE*

Everyone in the plaza looked at who had just arrived. Not to Philena, who kept to his side, but Mikkael. He knew he had done something extremely dishonourable to another clan, and not only that, a respected clan. However, no one dared stand near him, and they made efforts to clear the way for him.

But not the guards.

"Mikkael, we cannot allow you entry into the palace..." The guardsmen stated, looking at him with scorn.

"Why not?" Mikkael questioned.

"... Please understand, friend, we mustn't let there be any threat to the queen. You should know this of the Altans clan."

"This reminds me, I need to register a new clan name." Mikkael notes, "Still, you know me as a graduate of the Soldier's Academy, I wouldn't dare harm the queen."

"Your word is not enough, Mikkael."

Philena stepped up, "Well, in that case, perhaps you'd let me in?"

The guards looked at her for a moment, puzzled, but then they saw the markings on her face.

"Ah, Philena? Actually we are unable to let you in either. However, Tarlak was seeking you out." The guard stated in a matter-of-factly way. Mikkael let out a heavy sigh. He clearly was in no position to get into the palace, and was now getting pissed off. He made it extremely visible in his glare and the guardsmen tensed up.

"L-Look Mikkael! I know your intentions are good! H-However... We can't."

Once more, Mikkael let out a sigh. He began to understand. It was almost as if... No, he couldn't just assume that they were under the influence of someone. He didn't want to assume it either. Mikkael was clearly being forced to not enter the palace, and that was all that mattered, he accepted defeat, grabbing the hand of Philena.

"Come on, let's head to the tavern."

The duo had reached the tavern where Mikkael and his clans people would occasionally enjoy meals together after training. He remembered being the silent one, barely sharing anything, and now here he was, unable to do anything. People continued to give off looks and whispers. He could differentiate both praise and scorn, but as the few who praised him spoke, he heard other words among them.

"... You don't want him to know you said that..."

"... Would he really do it, you think?"

"... What should we do? Tell him?"

"Mikkael? Is everything alright?" Philena asked. Mikkael shook his head.

"Something is different in New Meridia. I hope to not have to commit any crimes, but..." Mikkael rubbed his forehead, "No, I need to take a more civil approach."

Mikkael took a swig of his drink. That was when three mages walked in and stopped as they took notice.

"Well well well... If it isn't the former member of the Altans and Lemalt clans... Tell me, what brings you to this glorious city?" Each pulled out staffs and the barkeep got between them and the table.

"Pl-Please, no instigating a fight in-" She began, but went silent as they pulled down their hoods showing their marks. The barkeep stood there for a moment and then turned to Mikkael, "... forgive me..."

Mikkael stood up, "I take no offense, ma'am." He turned to Philena, "Looks as though this won't be easy."

Philena stood up and pushed Mikkael back, "If there is anyone who wishes to antagonize us, let them first speak with me."

"Oh? One of the Taltanis clan?" The group's leader remarked, "Why protect this... savage? He has dishonoured two clans, why would you take his side?"

Philena smiled, "Because I am in his clan, too. Thus, I will defend him no matter what."

She motioned for them to come forward. Each mage gritted their teeth. If they were to attack her, they'd be fighting the Meridian royal family. They were at a loss.

"That's precisely what I thought. Go back and tell your clan leader that I am not going to allow anyone to mess with my man." Philena smiled, sitting back down.

"... So be it."

Mikkael didn't like the sound of that remark. He knew the mark on their foreheads. After all, it was his own. That would mean...

"... How fast can you eat?" Mikkael asked, downing his drink immediately. Philena took another bite of her grilled shark.

"Well, we only just began." Philena noted. Mikkael shook his head, carving off as much meat from his own meal and eating it with haste. She increased her pace accordingly. Clearly Mikkael was worried. They finished up and then Mikkael grabbed Philena's hand, running out. Mikkael tossed a thousand Legens to the barkeep to keep her quiet.

She happily nodded as they ran out.

They both ran through the caverns of New Meridia, making careful movements to enter an area that would be secure... For the most part. They had reached a cavern to the top of the city, and they looked down. Mikkael focused on the way the guards were moving, he had to be certain things were okay.

"Philena, we are not safe in New Meridia as I had thought. Clearly I had made an error..."

She looked to him with concern, "Because of the rescue?"

Mikkael nodded, "Partially. I wonder... We can't stay here. We have to leave the city. I just hope that your cousin is okay. After all, let's think for a moment. I was on good terms with people, and even you weren't allowed in." Philena looked worried for a moment and pulled something from her pocket, a badge of some sort, and Mikkael looked to her, "What's that?"

"This badge should get us a safe area. You know where the depths are?" She asked, placing the badge in his hand. Mikkael nodded and she continued, "Get us there. Scorpio anticipated problems for us, and wanted us to have a safe area with some of his people."

She wrapped her arms around him as Mikkael took a dive into one of the pools. He had to be careful where he swam and when he emerged in the depths...

"Croeso'n ôl Mikkael." A voice sounded. The exit pool had been surrounded completely by a troop of mages and soldiers alike. Mikkael's attention turned to the voice.

"Felly rydym yn cyfarfod unwaith eto... Father."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Surrounded, Mikkael had no choice but to either listen or start his retreat.

"Young Mikkael, you have disgraced my clan, your great grandfather was one of the most respected mages of Vex Vinas, and not only that, you were the one who razed the city."

Mikkael laughed, "That was the old man's doing, I was merely at the site. Besides, father, what would you have me do now? You can't rightfully bring me into jail for something that doesn't concern our hold."

Mikkael's father laughed himself, "That is where you are wrong. You speak to the new king of Meridia."

"The new king...?" Philena questioned, "What did you do to my cousin!?"

"Absolutely nothing, but due to her... absence, someone has to take over. That is where you come in, dear Philena." He motioned for the mages to attack, "Take Mikkael out, bring the girl to me."

Mikkael swam up and dealt an uppercut with Excalibur, finally on solid ground and the guard in front of him on his back, the duo didn't make much progress as Mikkael began getting blasted by spells. Philena couldn't do anything except get taken by the soldiers. Mikkael was forced to the ground with a boot on his head.

That was when Philena began to concentrate, her eyes began to glow as she began to smile, "The words of magic... It feels as though... I understand them now."

"Ph-Philena...?" Mikkael barely managed to voice.

"In the name of the royal family of Meridia, I demand that you all STOP!"

In an instant a magic circle appeared beneath the entire group and Philena began chanting a magic spell, a barrier rose around her as she began to float in place. Shining bright where her robes as they morphed into a long white set and her bracelets took on a golden hue. The pink gems maintained their brilliance as she called out a lost name...

"INANNA! I SUMMON THEE!"

In an instant, a woman of great beauty appeared before the entire troop, and blessed both Mikkael and herself. In that instant the great deity disappeared and Philena spun a golden wand around before pointing it to Mikkael and healing him. In an instant he felt himself completely revitalized by her powers. She smiled and made another demand, "By the order of the Taltanis clan, disband!"

Mikkael got up from the ground, "No way... Philena, you've become a druid?"

She smiled to him, "Something somehow has... Awakened this power."

"No... I don't understand, could it be that...?" Mikkael's father voiced, "Guards! Mages! Stand your ground! Let them know who is the rightful ruler of New Meridia!"

Mikkael put his back to Philena's with Excalibur at the ready, "I hope you know what you're doing, dearest."

She giggled to herself a little, "Trust me, Mikkael, these guys are nothing."

The last guard fell and Mikkael sheathed Excalibur. Philena ran up to him, "We managed to beat em' it seems.~"

"I wonder... How did you manage to use magic, Philena?" Mikkael asked, "You don't have a soul. It should be impossible in theory."

"That's what I'd like to know..." She answered, pondering it for a moment, "Well, doesn't matter right now, we must go now before more come."

They made their way through more caverns before they found a mark similar to that of the one on the badge, Mikkael gave a knock at the door and a plate slid by. Silence came from the Meridian inside, but Mikkael flashed the badge and the green meridian opened the door, asking, "You come from Selk, Mikkael Altans, clearly Scorpio trusts you, but I must ask, what is it that you need?"

"Info." Mikkael responded, "Tell me, just what in the blazes is going on in New Meridia? Why is my father king? What happened to the princess?"

"... Come inside."

The two of them stepped into the Assassin's Guild and were welcomed by...

"Philena!" Princess Taltanis shouted excitedly. Mikkael let out a sigh of relief as the girl ran up and hugged her cousin, "You became a druid I see! It's so good to see you again, and... Mikkael, too!"

"Your highness." Mikkael bowed, "I am glad you are safe. It has been forever since we last spoke, and I must thank you for what you did for me in the trial of Hiroko Hajima."

"Think nothing of it, come, we must move from this entrance, you never know when one of those people will come." She motioned for them to follow. The guild was spacious and carved out from the cavern. There were pools of water here and there, and even a tavern. It was a smaller location than the Selk guild, but good enough that it could house a small troop. Mikkael wondered for a moment why she would choose this place as the hiding spot.

"Much has happened since I last spoke with you, Mikkael. As you seem to know, based on the blood on your armor, three clans have united against me and took over the city. It was some time following word of the collapse of Vex Vinas." Meridia spoke. She sat with them at a table in the tavern and Mikkael himself had his attention focused on the princess.

"Meyaltr, Lemalt, and Altans. Three clans that are cornerstones to New Meridia, all of them wanted a place in my court. The first to make an advance was the Meyaltr clan, with Tarlak, head prophet. He first attempted to worm his way into my heart, but instead, it seemed he was planning on getting you, Philena."

"I am aware." She answered, "After Mikkael rescued me from his great grandfather, there was a document detailing the experiments performed on me, and Tarlak wanted me as a wife."

"I see... In that case, I think his work was separate. However, this explains a lot. The Lemalt and Altans clans... Both are disgraced now."

"With all due respect, your highness, we are well aware of this. We've noted this numerous times as we made our way through town." Mikkael stated, as the princess cleared her throat.

"Right, you do seem fairly smart for a barbarian. It's just due to what you've done that I'm now in this mess." She stated back to him. Mikkael turned away, truly, it was his fault.

"Forgive me. I had no intention of causing such hardship." Mikkael stated as he also lowered his head.

"Please, cousin," Philena began, "Mikkael really meant no harm, and besides, we want to fix this mess!"

"Th-That's right!" Mikkael immediately exclaimed, perking up, "I'll do whatever it takes, your highness, anything to atone for these issues I have caused due to my negligence!"

"Well, there is one thing..." Meridia spoke, "Tell me, Mikkael, you know of the sacred treasures of Jungalore, correct?"

Mikkael nodded, "Yes, in fact, I own the Scepter of Selk."

"What if I told you there's more than four?" Meridia continued, "Not only that, but that there are a total of six?"

"Cousin, wait! We mustn't speak of it." Philena chimed in, a serious expression on her face. Her knees kept banging against each other but Meridia cleared her throat.

"Philena, they have it."

Philena's eyes widened and she began to tremble and worry. Mikkael looked at the meridian princess who looked down with her own worries.

"Excalibur, is this true?" Mikkael asked, "Are there truly more than four artifacts?"

"Not that I know of." Excalibur answered, "I have only known of the four to determine who rightfully rules Jungalore."

"Mikkael, think for a moment," Meridia asked with a look of concern, "Six races. Six elements. Six languages. Six civilized millennia. The number six is prevalent among our world. Why then are there only four known artifacts?"

Mikkael gave it some thought, "Well maybe they were made by-"

"Man? Yes, so I thought, but nowhere is there evidence of these being made, and besides, these artifacts have existed long before the time when the civilizations have been founded. Further, they each show craftsmanship surpassing that of even our greatest smiths and tailors in Jungalore." Meridia countered. Mikkael slumped back as she continued, "The truth is, we have been hiding ours. It is the reason why Exodiin sought our castle years and years ago."

"So... What do you suggest?" Mikkael asked, "What are the artifacts?"

Meridia leaned in as she spoke the final words, "Keys to paradise."

Link

The paragon jolted as he walked into the Remnvald Keep. He fell to the ground in an instant, gripping his red bident.

"What-!" He gasped, "Did... Something change!?"

Exodiin approached him, "You return. Tell me, what is wrong?"

"N-Nothing... Just, something is different." The paragon answered, he shivered in place as he looked to the black dragon with purple eyes and purple trims to his scales.

"What news do you bring?" The dragon roared, "Shall my kind survive the cataclysm to come?"

"I know not. For once, I can't answer."

"Just what did you feel, paragon?"

The paragon shuddered, it was as if he was feeling once again, a rush of emotion filled his mind once more and he smiled, "Someone has figured out the truth. Someone... Like me."

"Oh?" The dragon voiced, "How interesting."

"Refrain from attacking. The meridians are dealing with something. A crisis in their city."

Exodiin laughed, "Paragon, this is the most opportune time to attack."

"Truly?" He questioned.

"If they are in chaos, then it is time to strike." Exodiin explained.

The paragon was now laughing, "... and you will be the one to restore order?"

Silence. Exodiin looked over the sea as the paragon exhaled.

"Stay your claw, Exodiin. I want to see just what will happen. Do this as a favour from one false deity to another." The paragon requested.

"You may be false, but I am a true god."

"What makes god?" The paragon asked, "If it is omnipotence, omniscience, or omnipresence, then even Lumbra is false. If it is the ability to create, then all are gods in their own way."

"What makes a god is the will to become greater in becoming a lesser form. I have become a dragon, lesser than the races of mortals, but greater in might. My will is strong, and thus I am a god." Exodiin explained.

"I believe your definition of a god is wrong, but it is normal for us to differ, is it not?" The paragon asked, "Anyways, please consider my request. I must go, I must look at the strings once more. Something is definitely different."

Exodiin watched as the paragon ascended to the heavens and smiled, "Very well, old friend."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"So I have good news and bad news..." the man in the pancho said, as he took a bite out of the sandwich. "...what'll it be?"

"Let me guess - you're going to tell me that something big went down in Cyndar and I could have prevented it?" Yemhelch replied quietly as he took a sip from the shot glass.

"No, no. This has nothing to do with you deciding to save your little friends instead of sticking to the plan-" here, he laughed. "Ah, you always did things your own way. Plans never held much root for you."

"So... you're not upset?"

"Upset? I asked you to investigate Cyndar for information on the whereabouts of a host that may or may not exist, and you go after your little friends and what do I end up with? Information on not one, not two, but three suitable hosts that actually exist! Ha, I'm not upset, my protege. I'm proud of you."

"... well, thanks. So, what's this good news and bad news?"

"Ha, I thought you'd never ask." the man smiled. "Allright, good news - I may have found an alternate energy source, one that if we subvert to our use, may allow us to emerge to this world once and for all."

"... so, what's the bad news?"

"Your two friends, Mikkael and Philena..." he stumbled over these alien names, but only for a moment. "... have swum off the Selkie bay into parts unknown."

He remembered the last time, back in Vel Da Ir and sighed.

"You really should have let me probe one of their minds." the man laughed as his form shifted into a cloud of tendrils. "Then I'd have some idea where they're going."

"The only way you can do that is to force your way into this world and ask them yourself." Yemhelch responded calmly.

"Which I can't, for now."

The silence of the stars filled the moment. For what seemed like years, neither side spoke.

"So, what do you want me to do?"

"I didn't get much information this time - so I want you to research what these 'artifacts' are. The closest one I can discern is an unusual polestaff or stave held by the man you shot out of the sky yesterday. After all, I have a feeling that my original plan - to consume a massive amount of life on this planet in exchange for providing a psychic shockwave strong enough to weaken the fabric of reality so that we may slip through... may be disagreeable to you..."

"What."

"Think back to your first battles. How you easily destroyed several people before you met with your friends. How easy it was to kill."

"..."

"Exactly. You are me, I am you. We both share some level of awareness. As you pulled yourself deeper into the world, so did my awareness. Thus why I've been seeking another way instead of what I now realize is wanton loss of life - something that you'd find disagreeable."

"What guarantee is there that you wouldn't harm my friends once you open your way into this world?"

"I wouldn't do anything you wouldn't do. We are one and the same."

"And how is that a guarantee?"

"Why not ask your friend Mikkael? Ask him if he wanted to go on a massive murder spree, before he met all of you."

"What..."

-

He woke up. This time, he was in his bed.

"Huh, that's a nice change of pace." Yemhelch muttered as he got up.

After a quick meal, he walked out of the group HQ. As was customary for a discreet investigator, he had to find a library. Fortunately for him, the city of Selk had one. An old, tottering sandstone building hidden in an ancient alleyway, to be sure, but the faded lettering and the smell of old books was still here.

He walked in.

4 pcs.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:04 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"So you're saying this artifact has been taken...?" Mikkael asked. Though he didn't fully comprehend the gravity of the situation he was going to get himself into, he felt a need to ask.

"Yes, but thankfully, on its own it won't do much. It requires the blood of a royal."

"Such as yourself or Philena?" Mikkael asked, but Meridia shook her head.

"No, not the blood of the Meridian Royals, but of Jungalore's royal family. Mikkael, this is more dangerous than anything you've ever seen. Even you don't know how much fear I have of my kingdom - no, of the world even."

"The Altena bloodline has ended, though..." Philena remarked. Mikkael remembered that the blonde woman Timmy was searching for alleged that she was the last member of the royal family, but knew that no one else could know. However, Meridia shook her head once more.

"Philena, the Slab of Destiny spoke. Mikkael should remember it well, I sent him to get me the interpretation."

"Right, a new hero would rise to the throne... Wait, are you saying that they only require that hero's blood?"

"Correct. The Slab is tied to the will of the planet. Though no one knows the hero, they will surely target any leads..." Meridia explained, looking to the sword at Mikkael's side, "Such as yourself."

Mikkael understood precisely what she meant, and so he spoke, "Isn't it that heroes spring into action? I haven't..." He paused and recalled the events of Vex Vinas. He lead the raid, even if Yemhelch joined with him as an unplanned person. He lead the capture of his Barioth. He lead the people of Vex Vinas to Avalon. He did all of these things, and so he would logically assume that the people of both the Altans and Lemalt clans would see him as a hero. Certainly an unlikely hero given the feats themselves, but a hero nonetheless.

"You haven't...?" Meridia asked. However, no response. Philena turned to him and understood full well that he was now reconsidering his words, Meridia continued, "Even so, our preconceptions of what makes a hero clearly doesn't have to match reality."

Philena smiled and put her hand on mikkael's shoulder, "Hey, Mikkael, I know it may be strange to ask, but why don't you wait this one out?"

"Huh?" He asked, "Philena, what are you suggesting?"

"They seek me as well, but for different reasons. You, on the other hand, are wanted." She spoke, worried about her partner.

Mikkael gave it some thought and nodded, "Alright. In that case, let me guard her highness with the assassins."

Meridia looks to Philena with concern, "But, Philena, you can't use magic."

"A fair point, but she JUST used magic a few moments earlier," Mikkael stated, "and actually, could you explain how this may have happened?"

"She did!?" Meridia voiced with shock, "... In that case, Mikkael, it may be best to follow her plan after all. I must bring you with me. Philena, you know what you must do. Find out all the information you can, and give us a means of taking back the city."

"Understood, I promise we'll take it back." Philena voiced. Mikkael was dragged off by Meridia with a troop of assassins. "In that case, the best place to stop by would be the plaza." She thought, heading out shortly afterwards. She made her way through the various waterways and up to the main plaza. The bustle had picked up since their escape, and no guards had recognized her due to her new golden circlet with a pink gem blocking her markings. Her white robes and ribbons flowed as she walked through the market and listened in on the conversations. Already word of the return of Mikkael had picked up, accompanied by another meridian.

However, with this came division.

Among the clans, people bickered about whether Mikkael's actions were right or wrong, though no one had a full understanding of the story. Some said that he did it out of revenge for being kicked from the greatest seat of learning, others said that he did it out of hate for his family. None knew the struggle Philena went through, and the attention was all on him. Occasionally she would see a sketch of Mikkael with a bounty on his head, but when no one was looking she would pull down the posters.

Then she came across the soldier's district, where the three soldier clans would train. Among them, the Altans clan. Using her best magic and her best stealth, she would wander through cave systems and eventually make her way up a cliff face, listening in on the words of the instructors.

"We had an incident in the depths. The traitor Mikkael Altans is a killer, and while his teachers have been questioned, they will remain in the palace dungeon until further notice. Do not engage Mikkael, for he is a deadly warlord. Instead, go to any of the instructors if you see him in town. Am I understood?" The replacement instructor barked. The soldiers, lined up in a uniform fashion gave a salute and a loud, "YES SIR!" They moved on to their practice routines as Philena gave the words some thought.

"The palace dungeon... What luck, none of them are probably very comfortable in there." She moved back to a more comfortable passageway and made it to the plaza once more, sitting on a bench and thinking while looking to the passage to the palace. "Those bars are made solid. If Mikkael had brought Afalans in, we could just fly down and break them out. However, this will require some sneaking. We can't even pick a lock due to the lever-operated bars..."

She stretched back and then decided to take a look around at the stalls. She noted the clans of the people walking by. Lemalt, Altans, Meyaltr, Oretalta, Vivaltal, Innuralt, and more. However, she noted one clan from the rest.

"Alta-ira." She voiced. The Alta-ira was the clan who had taught her all about magic. Though she herself couldn't use it, she always loved the stories from their leader. Rumour was that Altans, Alta-ira, and Altino were three clans who were very close. It was unlikely that she could seek refuge with them, but Philena headed to the scholar district where she saw... Him.

"Tarlak, damn!" She uttered under her breath as she nearly turned the corner and straight into him. He was conversing with the leader of the Lemalt clan, Mikkael's father.

"I swear! The woman summoned a creature! I was going to bring her to you!" He explained frantically, but Tarlak shook his head.

"Philena cannot use magic. That much I know of her. Hence why I want to study her in the first place. You had told me that entering a marriage agreement would allow me this opportunity!" Tarlak had explained, "You're thinking of the wrong woman. Besides, what would your son want with her? Probably to destroy her like your associate destroyed the codex!"

"Yes, but... How was I to know that my associate wanted the elixir for himself!? How was I to know that Mikkael would turn against Alaphas!?"

"Von Hohenheim. Be respectful. He certainly would at least uphold his contract."

"Regardless, how was I to know?" Lemalt voiced, they began to move away and Philena let out her breath. She blended in with a group of druids in prayer to the spirits of nature and snuck in. However, as she silently moved her lips, she thought to herself.

"I see... So it truly was all for an elixir of life... In that case, I must make haste and take extra caution."

She approached the gate for the Alta-ira clan and stepped beyond them, holding the seal up left to her as it opened. She was glad to know she would always be welcome, especially at a time like this. The path winded out of the city and up the mountains, just as she had remembered long ago. Though the path was now more weathered, she could see the manor was still well-kept. That was when she noted something about the mages.

"Necromancers?" She questioned. When she entered the courtyard, she began to remember things about her first visit, everyone was friendly, everyone was skilled in their magic... Everyone was a necromancer.

"Lady Philena, is that you?"

A voice spoke to her, she turned to see it was an elderly maid, she searched the back of her memory and finally realized, it was her old caretaker.

"Ah! Nanny Olava, it truly is wonderful to see you again." Philena excitedly stated.

"Come, Mistress Alta-ira will be pleased to see you have returned."

"The mistress is still alive? I thought she was sickly when I had left the city?" Philena asked, curious. The head maid nodded.

"Yes, and she was so worried after you had left to go find a cure. Tell me, is that why you became a druid?" Olava asked, puzzled.

"... Speaking of which..." Philena uneasily asked, "I never knew Alta-ira trained necromancers."

"You wouldn't have comprehended it in your youth. Especially with your father having visited many a Priest of Lumbra back in his day."

Philena was incredibly puzzled at the next sight, there she saw priests tending to the wounds of necromancers, and necromancers laughing and joking around with priests, "But, Olava, don't priests and necromancers hate one another?"

"Such is the way with religion, it separates, divides, back then I remember you hadn't a care in the world for the idea of religion. Is the fighting between necromancer and priest, paladin and dark knight, as bad as they say in the Corisca Mainland?"

"Very much so." Philena stated as they approached the manor doors. Olava brought Philena up many flights of stairs, and by the time they reached the top, Olava was worn out.

"I am very sorry, Lady Philena, I am not as young as I used to be." She voiced with a laugh. Philena worriedly looked to her.

"Even back then you were fairly old, Olava... I would think you'd be on lighter duties." Philena noted.

"But of course! I just don't have the energy like I used to... Come, right this way." Olava directed her and they found their way to the bedroom. Olava went in first, and Philena followed. There Philena saw her old teacher.

"Mistress Alta-ira..." Philena voiced. The meridian woman had definitely showed signs of aging, her head-fins reaching down to her knees and with longer additional fins protruding from it, she smiled as she made her way over to Philena.

"Dear Philena, thank goodness you have returned..."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Aside from a general series of myths regarding 2 or 4 'artifacts', he wasn't able to find out much about what he was looking for. It didn't help that most of the folk tales were incongruous with each other. One tale described the scepter of a wise king who never aged, while another described the spellstaff of a master magus who could never be wounded in battle. Going by discrete count, he counted the existence of at least 24 'legendary artifacts' - should the stories be believed.

Maybe that was it - the 'spell staff' of the magus who could not be wounded. He was clutching at straws here, but now he figured he had to break into the Pirate's Guild. That's where he had last seen Mikkael's opponent bearing the staff fall.

As he stepped out, he slapped his forehead with a groan. He had been in there ALL DAY!

"Ah well, not that it matters... night is better for stealth missions anyway..." he mumbled to himself as he mentally prepared himself for another potential disaster.

As he approached the Pirates' Guild, he saw a man in a fancy pirate coat followed by several workers put up a large billboard up in front of the Guild entrance.

Several rough-looking folks were gathered around and already forming lines when he arrived close enough to read the billboard.

"Wanted - strong, hard working folk to help with repairs around the Guild. Earn as you work! For the glory of Selk, fall in!"

"Huh... this might be easier than I expected." he smiled to himself as he joined the queue.

4 pcs.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:39 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
They climbed the steps to the Slab of Destiny, where Mikkael laid his eyes upon it for the first time.

"... Why are we here, your highness?" Mikkael asked.

"You say Philena was able to use magic... It is good that they think she cannot. However, I want you to do something..." Meridia placed her hand on the wall of solid gold. She seemed to think for a moment, and after a few seconds, magic seemed to pour from her hand and into the wall, illuminating a small portion of it before fading again.

"You try." She instructed. Mikkael steadily walked up to the wall. He placed his hand on it and without even a thought it became vividly luminous.

"Wh-Your highness...! What was that?" He exclaimed, pulling his hand away. She smiled and took his hand in her own.

"As I suspected... You are a candidate for being the hero..." Meridia stated. Mikkael pulled his hand away.

"What does this have to do with Philena being able to summon a spirit like that?" He questioned, completely lost on what all of this meant, "Your highness, I just want answers."

"Perhaps it is that sword, Excalibur." She noted, "Tell me, when around Excalibur could she use magic?"

"No... If that were the case she would have been able to during her capture in Vex Vinas." Mikkael responded, resting his chin in his hand, "However... The Scepter..."

"The Scepter? You couldn't be referring to the Scepter of Selk, could you?" Meridia asked, now staring intensely at Mikkael with her pink eyes.

"I do indeed." He responded, "It remains locked up at the clan base. Nothing can get into that vault except me alone."

"Mikkael, exposure to powerful artifacts such as the Scepter of Selk could cause her to actually perform magic." Meridia finally answered, "At least... Well, I think so..."

"If that's the case, how does it work? Why couldn't Excalibur do that? What about exposure to a Dark Knight Gauntlet?" Mikkael pestered the queen. Meridia could only keep shaking her head.

"Look, I don't know for sure, just... Listen, I want you to be very careful with those artifacts. They are incredibly powerful. So powerful that I think they caused an awakening of magic." Meridia warned, turning again to the slab, "I don't even think you understand. Like I said, keys to paradise. Such things are beyond our comprehension."

"... If they truly are as powerful as you say..." Mikkael smiles, "I will destroy the artifacts."

"Wh-What!?" Excalibur finally spoke up, "Mikkael, you can't be serious!"

Meridia shook her head, "Mikkael, those artifacts are something otherworldly. You couldn't destroy them even with that Buster Sword."

Mikkael smiled, looking at Excalibur, "Then I will have to apply equal or greater force. Besides, who in their right mind set up such an insane system to determine royalty? Collect some artifacts? Really?" He turned towards the steps, "With all due respect, your highness, and Excalibur, fuck that shit."

Meridia laughed, "You're a special kind of crazy, you know?"

"I aim to impress... Speaking of, it looks like someone finally is deciding to show up..."

Mikkael and Meridia peered down the steps, and there they saw the man behind Philena's suffering.

"... Mikkael..." Tarlak voiced.

"Just the man I wanted to see." Mikkael stated back, drawing Excalibur, "You have a lot to answer for, Meyaltr."

"As do you, Mikkael. I just got done speaking with your father... It seems we will need come to equal terms.- Tarlak stated, pulling out a staff.

"Stay back, Meridia, I want you to see just how much I've grown over the last year."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 39  Next