Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What is Marriage 
Level 17
Level 17

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Re: What is Marriage
YomToxic wrote:
That comic assumes that we are all asexual.

I will stand by my statement that Marriage is a piece of paper.

Huh? What does asexuality have to do with same-sex marriage? Asexuals can get married...

psychokittyboy wrote:
Read the dictionary, it reads it is a union between a man and a woman...

By the by, they shouldn't have kids. Women learn their sexuality from their fathers, and men from their mothers.

Not to mention, anyone from a broken home can tell you not having both a male and female parent makes many social understandings impossible.

This is a big argument between my gay cousin and I. But honestly, I did grow up in a broken home and he didn't, so I honestly hold little value in his argument.

Broken homes and same sex marriages can hardly be compared, there are more reasons as to why single parents screw up kids than just a lack of an opposite sex parental figure (ie, money)

Our energy would be better spent stopping [strike]teen[/strike] pregnancies...

psychokittyboy wrote:
Read the dictionary, it reads it is a union between a man and a woman...

By the by, they shouldn't have kids. Women learn their sexuality from their fathers, and men from their mothers.

Not to mention, anyone from a broken home can tell you not having both a male and female parent makes many social understandings impossible.

This is a big argument between my gay cousin and I. But honestly, I did grow up in a broken home and he didn't, so I honestly hold little value in his argument.

Sources? Monogamy is an unnatural institution, it hasn't been around that long. If kids learned sexuality from their parental figures, what does this say about all the centuries mankind went as polygamous? It takes a community to raise a child...

psychokittyboy wrote:
1. It was an old rule from .biz. I will keep those rules, I've always been a serious mod in serious.

2. I didn't pull opions out of my ass. Confidence or not, wait till you get into the real world. You realize you're missing serious social skills learned from the other parent, especially involving parenting and mating rituals (yes, humans do have them... it's just not as flamboyant as say, a peacock).

3. My point on them having equal rights is undeniable.

My mating ritual skills are absolute shit, I'm awkward as fuck all. It doesn't mean that my parents are to blame, it means that I'm just bad at interacting with girls :(

Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 2
Level 2

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
In my opinion it goes more on the need of people to belong to groups and share things, get support, blah blah. What other ultimate support than getting someone who "supposedly" is there to stay there by your side and support you against any other group? It goes also with humans not usually being as courageous alone as when they are in a group (even if the group is only 2).

If we go back in time then the guy gets the right to have even more support having many wives in some cultures (still in some) but that goes more to the fact of male being dominant back then (getting more and more lost in favor on equity)

Is it outdated? Well for some it will be, for others is still there and they long for it (for whatever personal reason)

Is it needed? Setting aside religious views I think it's still needed as there should be a ruleset to protect each individual engaging on this and also there offsprings.

Will it stay? I say fucking yes, either for the purpose of those idealist lovers, divorce gold diggers, religious people etc. etc.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:51 am
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Personally, I believe that Marriage is open to interpretation. Here is mine.
Marriage to me, is basically just legal binding. If you want to make it spiritual, make it spiritual. But basically that's all it is. Legal binding is all it's ever been about, whether or not you "love" eachother. It is only about God is you make it about God. Hell, if it was all about religion and love then explain arranged marriages for the sake of their business associate parents.

I think ANYONE has the right to be married. I personally would rather be raised in a home of a supportive gay couple than a single parent home.
I'll tell you this, for 13 years I lived in a house with a military father and a liberal mother. I could not even state an opinion without having the crap knocked out of me by one or the other. I was violent, I got into a lot of trouble, it was a mess.

Then my Dad split and I am living with my single mother. I can't even RECALL having the same emotional issues then as I do now. I'm not saying single parent houses screw up kids in themselves, I think it is the issues surrounding the single parent (I.E. why are they a single parent? how does this affect their parenting skills? do they date?)

I'm not going to make any generalizations here. But on average I am going to say it is much more likely for a kid to have problems (emotional, academic, etc.) in a single parent home then in a two-parent home. That's what i think anyway. I am probably way off topic.

For the record though, while I support marriage I am not likely to do it myself as I am possesive of what I work for and unwilling to make a long-term commitment like that. Fuck that, you ain't takin' my money bitch. Work for a living.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:23 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
Quote:
I'm not saying single parent houses screw up kids in themselves, I think it is the issues surrounding the single parent (I.E. why are they a single parent? how does this affect their parenting skills? do they date?)

That's the case for any type of family, whether it be single, double, or gay. There's really no "perfect" family lifestyle that will work in all cases.

Quote:

Could you clarify what social understanding are impossible due to the fact that both parents were not there? Are you talking about social interactions, or generalized viewpoints held by society, or what? I'll assume (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you mean social interactions, and I can tell you that it's not impossible even in a single family. I also come from a broken family, and due to my mother's Chinese heritage, I had to do a lot of the interactions with others for her. My social skills developed because of this. There's also a lot of social interactions that I could never learn from either parent - I just needed to learn them by experience and/or through a third party, and honestly, that's not a bad way to learn. How a child grows up and is affected by the world is dependent on each individual parent. That's why numbers don't necessarily make it a better household.

Either way, your original argument contained something about growing up in a gay household being bad for the children they raise, and really, you'll have just as many bad gay households as you do straight ones, just as you'll have just as many good gay households as you do straight.

ANY supportive family is better than a non-supportive, destructive family.

^Last paragraph was directed toward PTK, not PKB, since PTK was the original poster.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:28 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Lime wrote:
i lived in a single parent home for 14 years of my life and I'm fine. I am not ruined.

I have to agree with you there.. And i also have to agree with the person who believes in equality. I know some Gay parents who have raised kids quite successfully, and who also haven't turned out "GAY".. and for example, a lesbian couple, if they have a boy, it's not likely to act girly, thats just a stupid judgement..

Talk about adding to the deffinition of stigma.. you guys need to get a life..

and pinkturbokitty (the poster) is bisexual in real life, so really he is just hypocritical :)
Me, (the postee) knows turbokitty, met a long time ago, and he introduced me to FH, I'm formerly known as Glaria the Granny.. lol..

[rainbow]I'm a TUNA kitteh, cute pretty sea kitteh... want a tuna sandwich?? you know u want it...[/rainbow]

[rainbow]I'm swimming, I'm swimming, and swimming from Turkey to Canada =^.^=[/rainbow]

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2