Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Here's what i don't understand about religion 
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Here's what i don't understand about religion
Well. I've been a big defender of the religious in CreateDebate and Debate Faith mainly because Atheists always strike me as arrogant fags.

What I don't understand is how someone can become a Christian or w/e just because they've experienced a "miracle".

Consider spontaneous combustion. I'm pretty sure there was a time when a spontaneous combustion would have triggered a fear of demons in their town. They would say "Science can not explain why he burst into fire. It must have been THE DEVIL!!"

The idea is that because science does not have an answer yet, this must mean that Jesus is watching over us.

Then there are people who say "I started believing in Christ when my cancer just went away and the doctors couldn't explain it. It was a miracle."

So, what you're basically saying is "My cancer went away so that means Christ must exist and I should worship him from now on".
That's a major fallacy. That because something happened that can't be explained at the moment that must mean a certain religion is correct....

sure, maybe something really is watching over you. but why be pious? why follow a certain icon when you have no real reason to believe that it is this icon? maybe something likes to randomly intervene and save us, but why you and why must it be Jesus or Allah or w/e? Even if you don't believe that science will eventually explain it, why must you explain it with something that you really have no reason to believe in?

Fri May 01, 2009 8:23 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Post Re: Here's what i don't understand about religion
Yeah, a lot of people turn religious when they whent through a tough crisis. A lot of people who become born again christens go through a mental health crisis and suddenly know they should follow jesus, even people who detested the whole idea before.

I know all kinds of people who had extremely rough lives, and then all of a sudden they became born again christens. Why are most christens ex drug addicts or people afflicted with mental illness? It has always made me cynical about the whole religious idea thing.

Tue May 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
From what I have seen The majority of atheist accept it as a viable option but as a very unlikely one (no evidence)

Mon May 11, 2009 9:10 am
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Lime wrote:
And The More Scientific Types Will Say "I Don't Know Yet"/"We Haven't Been Able To Prove It Yet"

Theory of Evolution :)

Also, it would be the Athiests who have best selling books calling for the extermination of the religious, not the other way around.

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Tue May 12, 2009 10:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
psychokittyboy wrote:
Lime wrote:
And The More Scientific Types Will Say "I Don't Know Yet"/"We Haven't Been Able To Prove It Yet"

Also, it would be the Athiests who have best selling books calling for the extermination of the religious, not the other way around.

yes they do... all the Juedo-Christian call for the blood of the others and atheism

however I believe in what the Founding Fathers wanted which is a secular society in which Religion plays no role other than a personal level. People should chose what they want to be believe and it should be their buisness and should not interfere with anything else.

and to make my standpoint on this topic clear I am a tea pot agnostic. I am agnostic to God in the same way I am agnostic to a giant Tea pot orbiting the earth

Wed May 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
Most of the Founding Fathers were deist and found religion to be a great threat to Democracy.

as for the theory of evolution and gravity. they are backed up by physical evidence. same for theory of relativity. None of these theories can become laws because we can not experiment on them (yet). But the evidence is so overwhelming that it would be idiotic to say that evolution IN NO WAY is true.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Haz wrote:
psychokittyboy wrote:
Lime wrote:

yes they do... all the Juedo-Christian call for the blood of the others and atheism

Really? Where in the Bible do you get that from? Would it be from the verse "Let ye without sin cast the first stone."? Or maybe "Love thy neighbor."? Possibly "Turn the other cheek."?

You know, I tottally see where you're comming from!!! Good job!

To lime:
Science is only the newest way to percieve the world around us. It to requires huge leaps of faith and is filled with falsehoods.

Like Evolution. It is still a theory, yet taught as if it is a fact. We still make leaps in the theory, huge gaps in knowledge and few Scientific Laws broken (Thermal is obviously broken. Where is the energy required to make the leap from single celled to multi-celled comming from?).

Though I'm a believer in a form of evolution. I'm just arguing for the sake of another point of view being thrown out there.

Bubba wrote:

Thu May 14, 2009 2:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
the theory of evolution itself may have holes, but it's still accepted by anyone with half a brain. mainly because there is enough evidence to say that it has occurred in some way.

there is NO evidence to say that Jesus is the son of God or that there even is a personal God.

The main leaps in faith in science are the starting points. but they at least lead to experimentation and fact gathering. They are leaps of faith that are tested. Science itself is not faith based, it is evidence based.

The New Testament teaches forgiveness. The Old Testament teaches vengeance from a genocidal maniac (God). The bible is made up of both though...

Thu May 14, 2009 3:44 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Lime wrote:
Maybe you should study more before you open your mouth pkb.

Maybe you should attempt to make a point. I laid out a valid argument, where's your's?

Bubba wrote:

Thu May 14, 2009 5:05 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Yeah, seeing as you couldn't argue my points with any of your own, and decided to insult me instead makes it look as though you are using insults as a defense.

It isn't working.

Like I said earlier, either make a point or shut up.

Bubba wrote:

Tue May 19, 2009 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
psychokittyboy wrote:
Haz wrote:
psychokittyboy wrote:
Lime wrote:

Really? Where in the Bible do you get that from? Would it be from the verse "Let ye without sin cast the first stone."? Or maybe "Love thy neighbor."? Possibly "Turn the other cheek."?

You know, I tottally see where you're comming from!!! Good job!

To lime:
Science is only the newest way to percieve the world around us. It to requires huge leaps of faith and is filled with falsehoods.

Like Evolution. It is still a theory, yet taught as if it is a fact. We still make leaps in the theory, huge gaps in knowledge and few Scientific Laws broken (Thermal is obviously broken. Where is the energy required to make the leap from single celled to multi-celled comming from?).

Though I'm a believer in a form of evolution. I'm just arguing for the sake of another point of view being thrown out there.

PKB READ OLD TESTAMENT... screw that read the bible fully. Then talk about your religion.

I see them all as theories just some are more likely than others. For all we know steady state might turn out to be correct or some shit.

Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 am
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
i realize that even though this is my topic, all of my statements have been completely ignored.

My concrete arguments cause me to somehow fail...

Wed May 20, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Lime wrote:
All I said was study things before you talk about them...how is that insulting?

Perhaps it was the word idiot being used?

Haz wrote:

PKB READ OLD TESTAMENT... screw that read the bible fully. Then talk about your religion.

Here's what you don't seem to understand. The comming of Christ was so that God could better understand mankind from their point of view. Being God, he has no faults, but by living the human experience he understood temptation and such. After which, he was no longer a "angry god" as quoted from the old Testament.

That or having a kid calmed him down, pick either/or.

Also, I know my religion. I've even read some of the removed books... Those are the most interesting by far. Nephilems(sp?) and such.

Bubba wrote:

Wed May 20, 2009 5:10 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
I forget what book that was, do you recall?

Bubba wrote:

Thu May 28, 2009 6:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
I have, in a sense, given up on religion. When you actually read the Bible and follow it word for word, it it total BS. For example, with the story of Noah, if everyone died and only him and his family were left, they'd have to repopulate the earth, which would lead to incest, which is taboo in the Christian religion.

Sat May 30, 2009 11:48 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next