Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 I got Windows 2k on this bitch 
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
Post Re: I got Windows 2k on this bitch
AbiWord is similar to OpenOffice. From what I can tell though, OpenOffice has more features (I've installed AbiWord for a while on my laptop).

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
I never had a problem with Word. It just pops up and it works. Open Office tends to screw up the formating of my documents.

Wordpad is basicly a really old version of Word that MS has been packaging with Windows since Windows 3.1. (In fact it hasnt changed that much) It's good for basic stuff. You can write letters with it. Even that ruler thing behaves somewhat the same.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:47 pm
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Did you remember to save your documents as ".doc" documents for viewing under MSOffice? That would be a problem since I believe the default format is an open source one which MS can't read.

As someone who has worked as a computer tech, and A/V Tech, and used alot of stuff, I've seen MANY problems with MSOffice which are easily fixed by use of OpenOffice. And MSOffice 2007 is ridiculous to use.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:18 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
MSOffice 2007 IS ridiculous...though PTK is using 2003, so he's forgiven.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:26 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
Did you remember to save your documents as ".doc" documents for viewing under MSOffice? That would be a problem since I believe the default format is an open source one which MS can't read.

As someone who has worked as a computer tech, and A/V Tech, and used alot of stuff, I've seen MANY problems with MSOffice which are easily fixed by use of OpenOffice. And MSOffice 2007 is ridiculous to use.

Well, I was opening up my .doc files made with MSWord 2000 in Open Office, while back. It may have been freaked out by the older version of word's file format. And that's why I got formating problems, it messed up the margins and certain elements of the file I opened.

Though the only places I've saw 2003, it at school, in the libraries in the other city I live in. As for Office 2007, I saw that on display computers in stores. Pretty much everywere you go, you see Office 2000. No one really bothers to upgrade ussually. And well, I dont blame them really. Office 2003 and 2007, are very similar to Office 2000. 2007 is different by what I hear because it has that freaky ribbon (I'm glad I never saw it with my own eyes, I might have nightmares and wet the bed)

And well, I never had problems with Word. Most of my experience is with Office 2000 (learned some of it in High School) I never had problems with it. So far Word 2003 has never caused me a problems.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:41 am
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Freaky ribbon? Care to clarify?

Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:45 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Well, Word 2003, the commands are in menu's. Word 2007 is pretty much the same except they're in a 'ribbon' some kind of silly GUI thing MS came up with.

Id show you a screenshot, though for now I want to be willyfully ignorant about what it looks like.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:52 am
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand:
I must confess I use Outlook foe my email, Comcast webmail sucks.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 pm
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Oh, that thing. Yeah I know what you mean, I don't need a screencap. We have the 2007 suite on the computers in the school lab (it's sad, really).

And I just forward all of my email to my Gmail. I like Gmail's setup (though it's been ridiculously slow nowdays :<).

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
I liked Gmail a lot back in the day. Though I had to use a very old PC for awhile, so I stopped using it.

Also, a lot of PC's I use often have older versions of Internet Explorer, and that freaks out the scripting on Gmail, so it takes so long to load, even on a modern PC that I havnt gone back in awhile.

Since I have a up to date browser on my home PC now, I could use it, though I'm just not that motivated (Even less since Google Chrome came out, for reasons there is no point in going into right now)

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:19 pm
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
I've actually been pretty mad with Gmail recently because of Chrome. It seems that their focus is to get more people to use Chrome, and therefore losing focus on making Gmail fast and efficient for ALL browsers, not just those on Chrome. But like I said, it's been slow on Chrome too nowadays. It may be better than others like Hotmail or Yahoo, but it's still bad when they start to ignore the more widely used browsers.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:50 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Chrome sucks. I dont like it's stripped down interface. It's no faster than Firefox (pages open just as fast) Not only that, it's basicly spyware since Google Chrome sends what you're looking at to Google. Google says this is to speed stuff up, though I think it's just creepy.

I dont like how the thing installs either. It bypasses the permissions system of Windows and sticks itself in your home directory. Even if it does make it easier for certain people to install the browser (those with limited priveleges on a computer) Though I dont think it's right assisting people in circumventing security measures companies put in to protect people and computers/prevent people from fucking up the system.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:07 pm
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
I got Chrome to test it out - all my supervisors at work were using it and telling me to try it out for a bit so we could see how websites looked in it. They say that the way it works is that they sandbox each window so they don't interact with each other, increasing security while browsing and using accounts and whatnot. Or something like that, I don't remember what they said exactly. The installation process is definitely a pain; if anything they should have allowed you to choose where you would like to install it, as most other programs do. The browser itself does load up faster than Firefox, or at least for me since I have lots of add-ons with my Firefox. Firefox > all anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:44 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Firefox is sweet.
Very sweet.
And tangy.

Also, older versions shouldn't cause a problem for OpenOffice, as it's prepared for things as old as 95 and older. I know what you mean about the margin problem. I've seen that every once in a while on the older version of OpenOffice, thats a minor problem in my opinion, and just has to do with conversion adjustments. But, OpenOffice actually CAN do the conversion and reading for alot that MS and other programs can't.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:18 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
They're actually making me take Excel 2007 now. I was sort of quick to assume all my office courses would be 2003. It isnt so bad. That "ribbon" makes certain things easier to find, but it's really just a silly gimick.

Another cool thing is the workstation I'm being asigned to each day for some reason has Windows Vista business (and even though i dont like vista, I always wanted to learn it) Most of the computers in the classroom have Windows XP pro. So hmm. Some of the things in Vista confuse me, so I type in full path names when saving and loading files... More concentrated on Excel 2007 than learning Windows Vista at the moment though.

Even though I feel funny saying this, for once M$ did a good job on there visuel themes. That blue luna theme thingy in Windows XP is so ugly... I still can't stand it.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next