Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Time travel 
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Time travel
i decided to do a little research on time travel and stumbled across the "Nova" web site. On the site basicly what they said was that things moveing at high speeds tend to age less, an example they used was if someone returns from space traveling at the near the speed of light that you could travel thousands of years into the future. if this is true then regular space men have traveled through time to some degree faster than the flow of regular time. or is it that because you are traveling near the speed of light that the people in the example age so much less?

then there is the theory of wormholes witch im sure you are all familiar with and its example of folding a peice of papaer with two holes in half. Basically it like a black hole where it is created by the explosive energy of a star exploding, is this really time its self tearing? or is it just a big empty hole full of energy where partials are stretched or exploded into nothing? even if we were to find some way to create a man made worm hole would it be to unstable to use?
i would like to hear your guys opinions on this, specifically noth1ngs as he seems to know alot of shit about a bunch of different shit

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Re: Time travel
I herd about a theory, that as the universe expands, there is different time periods as you travel through the universe. So if you travel far enough, you can end up in the past or the future. You can find a exact replica of the milky way from the past, or even the future. And I think those worm hole things are a quick way through the alternate universes. Not sure where I learned this. For all I know, it's just theory or some weird science fiction thing I learned about from watching too much anime/sci fi stuff.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:58 pm
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
... Y'all mean the Theory of Realitivity? Yeah, been about for awhile guys.

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:55 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
I actually watched a national geographic show that discussed pretty much everything you hit on.

1: Time actually does flow differently when you're in outer space. I forget what exactly they said the reason was (I'm pretty sure it's the speed deal), but when astronauts return from space, depending on how long they've been out there, they're actually a few seconds younger than when they left, specifically because when they're in orbit they're actually going thousands of miles per hour. Not the speed of light, but as PKB mentioned: one of the things the theory of relativity talks about is that as speed increases time decreases.

In short: watch Flight of the Navigator. Great classic movie, and it explains this principle.

2: As regarding wormholes. Most scientists agree that space-time (the fourth dimension: length, width, depth, and space-time) is a "fabric". That is to say that it can be manipulated and folded around objects within it. As such, they believe that it can indeed be folded to create wormholes. Unfortunately ptk, they're not routes into alternate universes, but rather short cuts through our own universe. They exist only in theoretical physics, so nothing can really be said about them for certain. What scientists do know, is that even in theoretical physics, wormholes are incredibly unstable. But beyond that, even if we were able to create and prolong one, it would be filled with an unimaginable amount of radiation from the energy it takes to create such a short cut: thus making traveling through it quite impossible.

In short: What you said about them was right, SLSO. They are created by folding space-time, thus making two extremely distant points in space the exact same point in space. Basically it's the theory behind the ship's engine in Event Horizon. However at this point in time, scientists don't know how to stabilize them, let alone know of a way to go through them without getting your face melted off.

Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:53 am
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:
i would like to see this NG you saw DJ it sounds interesting but another thing i stumbled across was a theory to make a wormhole. the way it went was the amount of power at the bottom portion of impact when a earth destroying asteroid hits the earth is close to what would be required to open a wormhole (hince why going through a worm hole would melt your fucking face off) i think our closest man made bet would be a nuke but then again there is the problem with radiation(not TO much of a problem you would think with led and all) and heat and face melting. another thing i wanted to touch bases on was black holes, some think its a way into said "other dimensions" (not to mention its a beautiful sight to behold) but again how does man make and contain something as awesome as a giant ball of fiery gas imploding?

iv always found most sciences to be extremely boring but the though of space travel and time travel really sparks my interest fortunately i just found out that its space week on the science channel

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Uhh..... Black holes are invisible. They can only be seen if they are bending light at the moment our telescopes go over that sector of the galaxy.

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
PKB's right: the only time we actually see a black hole is when its gravity effects the light of a visible star (bending the light around it) as it passes between us and said star (yes, black holes actually move through space).

As for being gates to another dimension: that's simply a myth. It's nothing more than an unimaginably dense object, so dense that it's gravitational pull is unspeakably strong. Nothing can withstand it, it truly is the void to oblivion. Anything that gets too close to it is ripped into countless tiny bits that are sucked in a stream into the hole (as seen by observation of black holes devouring asteroids and even stars).

Obviously the black hole's claim to fame is that its gravity is so strong that not even light can escape it, thus giving the black hole its blackness. Man can never hope to create something powerful enough to withstand such a force...they're the vacuum cleaners of the universe, completely obliterating everything in their path.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:15 am
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:
and when we do see it its fucking beautiful. I don't see why it couldn't be a gateway to anything if it can suck something in such as a sun or a star then wouldn't that create enough energy to create said wormhole or bend said fabric of time? where does the energy of the star go? does it just go inert? or is it all compacted within the hole? what happens to the black hole does it keep on moving or just simply dissipate? i don't fucking know what do i look like an astrologer or astro physicist? what would stop a black hole from sucking our universe up if they are so mobile? and then there is dark matter and dark energy one of the interesting theory on the science show i just got watching was that 75% of space is made up of dark energy 10% of dark matter and 5% of what we know as atoms. if a blackhole would try and suck up something like dark matter what would happen? would the gravitational pull of the dark matter/energy outweigh the pull of a black hole? or would it simply divide by 0 ?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:55 am
Profile E-mail
Level 17
Level 17

Cash on hand:
psychokittyboy wrote:
Uhh..... Black holes are invisible. They can only be seen if they are bending light at the moment our telescopes go over that sector of the galaxy.

Precisely; of course, the interesting thing about that is the fact that if the photons on the event horizon (the boundary of the black hole) are able to be seen by us, then it means that they must be escaping

SexyLilSeaOtter wrote:
and when we do see it its fucking beautiful. I don't see why it couldn't be a gateway to anything if it can suck something in such as a sun or a star then wouldn't that create enough energy to create said wormhole or bend said fabric of time? where does the energy of the star go? does it just go inert? or is it all compacted within the hole? what happens to the black hole does it keep on moving or just simply dissipate? i don't fucking know what do i look like an astrologer or astro physicist? what would stop a black hole from sucking our universe up if they are so mobile? and then there is dark matter and dark energy one of the interesting theory on the science show i just got watching was that 75% of space is made up of dark energy 10% of dark matter and 5% of what we know as atoms. if a blackhole would try and suck up something like dark matter what would happen? would the gravitational pull of the dark matter/energy outweigh the pull of a black hole? or would it simply divide by 0 ?

1) It DOES bend the fabric of time. Of course, when we talk about time, we have to talk about space as well (space-time) as the two are firmly linked together. There is no absolute space and no absolute time, it's all relative.

When you're inside of black hole, because of the intense field of gravity, space-time is bent. And because the gravity is infinite, as no light can escape (and nothing moves faster than light), then time is also infinite.

2) The energy taken in by a black hole is emitted by the "empty" space around it in the form of virtual particle pairs, which either bash into each other and are annihilated or escape into space (positive particle) and get sucked into the black hole (antiparticle)

3) Nothing stops a black hole (to our knowledge). We believe that there may be a black hole in the center of our galaxy at Sagittarius A* :)

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Things sucked into a black hole aren't sucked into another dimension SLSO, they "feed" the black hole, making it grow larger. That's all the happens. Black holes can even eat other black holes (though it's more like a merging, the larger of the black holes does dominate over the smaller one, swallowing it up and using it to expand it's own event horizon).

And Hammm, not only is their a super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy, but at the center of other galaxies as well. Scientists now theorize that the core of all galaxies is, in fact, a black hole. This is what gives a galaxy it's spin and part of the reason as to how galaxies hold themselves together (the other part of the equation being the theoretical web of dark matter).

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:
but how can we be sure whats actually inside of a black hole? have scientists ever been inside one? and just like hammm said there is a great amount of energy going on inside of there from the extreme gravitational pull so if its not inside of another dimension then i don't see why it couldn't be going somewhere in time. and if nothing can escape a black hole then whats up with all of the escaping partials that make it so damn pretty? From what i remember from science class i think it was stars exploding can create a black hole as well, either that or a super nova.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
It's not an exploding star, but rather an imploding star. They're formed when a super massive star collapses under it's own weight and gravity to the point of a singularity (the core of a black hole). That's what's inside of a black hole: a massive star that has been condensed down to a pinpoint in space, this is what gives it its unimaginable density and subsequently its unimaginable gravity. It's not really a "hole", that's just the name we give it because that's what it looks like. It's a 3 dimensional object, specifically a sphere. Furthermore the fact that they move negates the premise that they're actually holes that lead somewhere else. And regardless, even if it did lead somewhere else, we'd never EVER be able to find out, because there's no possible way to construct something that and withstand the power of a black hole.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]