Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What Would Change Everything? 
Level 17
Level 17

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post What Would Change Everything?
Believe it or not, I'm more than just a pretty face; I have moderately adequate intelligence as well. The question is straightforward and open ended: What Would Change Everything?

Originally it was designed to be centered around what would change everything for humanity, but the personal answers are far too interesting to be left out, so they apply as well.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:04 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
Post Re: What Would Change Everything?
Ehh, are we centering around earth? Solar System? Galaxy? Universe?

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 17
Level 17

Cash on hand:
Whatever you want. It could be something like faster than light space travel or telepathy...

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:33 am
Profile E-mail
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
Could this also cover historical events?

The very image of a king

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:35 am
Profile E-mail
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
Well, one thing that could possibly change everything as we know it would be the development of time machines. Perhaps they will be created in the future, perhaps not. But if it is actually possible to do so, the world as we know it will be thrown into chaos as people decide that certain events in the past should not have happened. When you start going back and altering the past, you also alter the future, and therefore throw everything off into a loop of change after change after change. When would we know what has happened or what has been altered? How would those in the future be affected by changing their past? Will they lose their memories of said past? Will the past significantly change the future and make it so that they will not have discovered certain things, or discovered things earlier? Could someone use the time machine to continuously try and repeat events until they find the result with which they're satisfied?

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Shocksock
Shocksock

Cash on hand:
I think Hitler should win WW2 so all Jews would be dead. Also Soviet Union woudl be the 2nd world power and they fight each other.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:13 am
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
Providing historical events, a couple come to mind. What if Hannibal had been victorious after the second punic war? What if after Cannae, he had indeed marched on Rome, and in acordance with his father's wishes, wreked revenge upon it by razing the city. From there, roamn authority in it's other territories collapsed and Carthage returned to it's pre-eminant position in the Medterian. However, after Hannibal's death, I highly doubt that Carthage and it's mercenary armies would have been able to conquer the Greek states like the highly organised Roman armies had. Also, with Rome out of the way, the Seleucid empire would have had nothing to check it's expansion Westwards under Antiochus the third.

Reguardless, I'd be at this all day if I typed out an entire alternate history, so I'll sum up what I think would be hugley diffrent. First off, we most deffintly would not be using the Roman alphabet right now. Likley, Greek would still be prevailiant. Secondly, I do not believe humanity as a whole would have had as fast an advance, as the population boom made possible by the Roman empire would not have occured. That is of course, not to discredit the science of the Greeks nor Carthage, I just simply do not believe that without the conditions that the late republic/early empire provided for the sciences could have adquate enough to see them have advanced at a faster nor equal rate. This beeing said, perhaps one of the Greek states would have experianced a revival? Perhaps the Seleucids would have been equaly prosperous? (This I doubt, due to the diffculties that controlling such a vast domain were already providing, this could be under further strain from expansion westwards?). Perhaps the Egyptian Potolmies would have been more sucessfull? (This agian I doubt, given at a near time frame their defeat at the hands of Antiochus in the fith Syrian war).
Another thing I think would be massivly different is the spread of Christianity (I'm sure n0th1n will disagree here), agian, without the connected empire, I don't think it's spread would have been as fast, nor without the authority that Constantine imposed upon the empire it's spread so previalint.

And now I'm getting too lazy to continue this. I appologize for any spelling mistakes. Also shock, your post was the stupid. A) All the Jews were not in Germany, not even all in Europe, and B) A condition for Hitler's victory would have been the DESTRUCTION of the USSR.

The very image of a king

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Everything for us (and some other stuff): Discovering another intelligent, sentient species. This could be argued in some cases to already have been found, but lets be more specific and go with what is called hnau in C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet", or intelligent, sentient creatures with soul's and wills of their own and such. The upper level of bio-physical life.

Everything: hmmm, well, according to Chaos theory anything could change everything.
Something a little more major: Second coming of Christ. End of world (universe), new creation, resurrection of the body, final judgment. Pretty big change.

As for the Christianity bit from Hanzo, since he seems to have invited me to disagree:
Well, its really difficult to say. A large factor in the solid spread and establishment of Christendom was Charlemagne and the conversion of other Northern lands/kings, mostly after the Roman empire receded in power in that area (in fact, this is primarily to those who previously helped destroy the Roman Empire in the west). But, then again, alot of that conversion came from contact with the Roman provinces. Then again, to the East, and for a while into Africa, Southern Europe, and further the Roman empire didn't play that big an initial role, until they began killing and persecuting the Christians, but alot of other non-roman groups did that too at times.

I'd say the real question there is: Would Christ have come at the same time without the Roman Empire there, ruling that province the way they did, in such a way that many of the people sought a militaristic messiah (which was rather specifically what Christ was not and acted against in many ways), and with the practice of crucifixion for non-roman citizens under certain extreme circumstances (which came up often enough and which they were well practiced in). Might God have chosen a different time, or even place, then?
Difficult to say all these things, its all purely speculation, and sometimes you have to simply just accept that things went the way they did, and there isn't much else we can say about it. (OR IS THERE!?!?!?! See C.S. Lewis on outsiders perspective of time.)

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:48 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Yes, I suppose that would change alot.

But lets clarify this question a bit: Are we talking about what could change the world FROM THIS POINT ON/ that has not occurred yet, or what would change everything throughout all time?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:20 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
^HE said however you want to take it.

(fixed)

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
HE said. But what he said was on the scope of area for the change. The examples lead me to believe the changes should have to do with developments henceforth, rather than changes in the past.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:24 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
The discovery of sentient life would change a LOT of things. There are certain religions in the world that have a major stake in "We are alone. We are God's creation.";- with that pillar demolished, we're talking major ideological shift.

4 pcs.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:18 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
I'm not exactly sure what u mean by everything, but in this world and understanding of genetics I believe something as small as maybe one singular cell in a person could change everything. say this cell that was different was changed in someone who has influenced the whole world, one of the presidents of the USA, George Washington to be specific. One cell in Ceaser, Napoleon, Hitler. One cell in any of the number of scientists who found cures or treatments for any of the numerous disease. A cell change in a technologically adapt person, Mr. Sony, Bill Gates, James Job, the creator of the original computer, tv. One change in Thomas Edison, Newton, Einstein. And one of these singular cell changes could have affected the way any of these people thing and a huge amount of events would have never taken place, we may think differently then we do, technology, rate of life, rate of happiness could all be drastically different. But then again that is just my theory.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:31 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
The discovery that god is dead.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 am
Profile E-mail
FH Pope
FH Pope

Cash on hand:
YomToxic wrote:
The discovery of sentient life would change a LOT of things. There are certain religions in the world that have a major stake in "We are alone. We are God's creation.";- with that pillar demolished, we're talking major ideological shift.

Elephants, Lions, Dolphins, etc etc, are all sentient... you do know this, right?

Bubba wrote:
PKB's accent is... awesome and.. surprisingly sexy.

:)

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next