Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:30 pm
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Re: Word
pinkturbokitty wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
YOU LIKE PAYING HUNDREDS FOR CRAPPY PROGRAMS!?

PKB, you know you shouldn't be throwing your money away.

Well, Word works and Microsoft has a monopoly on office programs (That's why they can get away with charging so much). And the older programs work perfectly fine. You can get a copy of office for $20 on the used market that will do everything the newer programs can (Well, the things you need it to do anyways)

There is no such thing as a free lunch, as the old saying goes. About the only free source programs I like is Firefox and aMSN.

No, Microsoft does not yet have a monopoly on it. They have a significant advantage, and can charge so much because some people are ignorant of their other, superior options, and some people don't care.

OpenOffice.org, as I said is alot better and is actually more and more widely used, it probably comes close to having a monopoly over the linux/unix based OS market, though there are others still used (I can't think of ANYONE that uses MS Office on linux/unix systems).

You obviously don't know alot about the Open Source community (noted by referring to "free" source). Some things don't quite match up to the top of the line pay programs yet, some do, some are actually alot better. You'll even find professionals using many of these Open Source and Free programs because they work well, or giving them "bundled" with their software which you pay for (Audacity, for instance, is free but I've seen some music production kits that include it with their more expensive software for other things).

And, as someone who is the Director of Engineering at a radio station and has had to dig through and test alot of stuff lately, I can tell you that the OpenSource radio broadcasting and production software I've tested is far superior to the multi-thousand dollar software the radio station had previously been using.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:22 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
digit-all wrote:
I DO!

I hereby pronounce you man and .........

uh.... what the hell is this thing?... I can't really figure it out....

Ah well. You may kiss the... whatever it is....

4 pcs.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
YOU LIKE PAYING HUNDREDS FOR CRAPPY PROGRAMS!?

PKB, you know you shouldn't be throwing your money away.

Well, Word works and Microsoft has a monopoly on office programs (That's why they can get away with charging so much). And the older programs work perfectly fine. You can get a copy of office for $20 on the used market that will do everything the newer programs can (Well, the things you need it to do anyways)

There is no such thing as a free lunch, as the old saying goes. About the only free source programs I like is Firefox and aMSN.

No, Microsoft does not yet have a monopoly on it. They have a significant advantage, and can charge so much because some people are ignorant of their other, superior options, and some people don't care.

OpenOffice.org, as I said is alot better and is actually more and more widely used, it probably comes close to having a monopoly over the linux/unix based OS market, though there are others still used (I can't think of ANYONE that uses MS Office on linux/unix systems).

You obviously don't know alot about the Open Source community (noted by referring to "free" source). Some things don't quite match up to the top of the line pay programs yet, some do, some are actually alot better. You'll even find professionals using many of these Open Source and Free programs because they work well, or giving them "bundled" with their software which you pay for (Audacity, for instance, is free but I've seen some music production kits that include it with their more expensive software for other things).

And, as someone who is the Director of Engineering at a radio station and has had to dig through and test alot of stuff lately, I can tell you that the OpenSource radio broadcasting and production software I've tested is far superior to the multi-thousand dollar software the radio station had previously been using.

Well, yeah you're right I dont know that much about open source software. All I really care about is geting what I want to do on the computer done. Learning how to use Linux isnt really that high on my list of things to do.

I use Firefox because it's the best browser right now. (Internet Explorer is a horrible peice of crud and when ever I help someone with their computer problems I gently nudge them towards Firefox)

I use aMSN because Microsoft arrogantly makes older versions of their chat program non working (can't get it on 2k and 7.0 updates itself in a loop and wont work) Not only that, MSN is horrible. It's so buggy it's not even funny. aMSN totally kicks it's ass. aMSN is easier to use, not so buggy and easier on the memory.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:23 pm
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
I have aMSN for increasingly rare occasions when I need it to do voice and video IM, which pidgin isn't very good at doing (pidgin is one of the 'every IM client you use' things).

Linux saves me alot of time. I no longer have to deal with viruses, spyware, adware, and a load of other crap all the time. I also save time getting new programs because almost everything I need or care for is in their repository which will download, install, and remove the programs for me, most of which are Open Source programs that have been tested by my OS community to work for my OS in most cases and such. Often it will update these programs, even the third party ones, for me if I want it to as well along with any other updates that come out.

And its all free, of course, which is a plus, and progresses to bigger and better things and features much faster than Microsoft or Apple products.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand:
Wait, how am I getting married to nothing?

*confused*

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:20 pm
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
I have aMSN for increasingly rare occasions when I need it to do voice and video IM, which pidgin isn't very good at doing (pidgin is one of the 'every IM client you use' things).

Linux saves me alot of time. I no longer have to deal with viruses, spyware, adware, and a load of other crap all the time. I also save time getting new programs because almost everything I need or care for is in their repository which will download, install, and remove the programs for me, most of which are Open Source programs that have been tested by my OS community to work for my OS in most cases and such. Often it will update these programs, even the third party ones, for me if I want it to as well along with any other updates that come out.

And its all free, of course, which is a plus, and progresses to bigger and better things and features much faster than Microsoft or Apple products.

The reason you're not geting malware is because not many viruses are targeted at linux because not very many people use it (Like the Macintosh)

I know this might come to you as a surprise, but I rarely have to deal with viruses and spyware, and my computer almost never crashes (Unless it's not my own and bunch of idiots used it) I use Windows.

If you ever get viruses on Windows you mustve did something stupid (Like use Internet Explorer or download things at random) Pretty much 99% of cases of viruses with windows is someone doing something extremely stupid (worms are only a tiny bit of viruses affecting someones computer) This is because people ignore common sense practices that could prevent it.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 pm
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
You tried to hard that time. You act as if the only reason I don't get anything is simply because no one targets it, then you say you'd only get it on Windows if you're really stupid. I could be using a system that no one targets AND not be stupid.

In any case, while it is true that a large part of the lack of viruses and malware for linux and mac is the fact that since it has such a small market no one targets it, that doesn't change that we don't get it. However, so you know, linux based systems are also in general known for being more secure, as we, even if we don't need it as much, actually put in real security features, and yes, especially on the corporate level, there are some who would try and hack linux systems, thus security features and even particular linux distributions designed around high security (I mean, shit, do you think they'd put it on anti-nuke satellites if the only security was "oh, no one will bother since its not on anything else"?).

And, what are you loading yourself down with things like No-Script? I highly doubt you have NO spyware/adware on your computer under windows. How often do you run the virus scans and Spyware scans? What programs do you use? Remember, just because they aren't causing visible problems doesn't mean they aren't there. Plenty of spyware can easily go unnoticed due to its low level activity. Some is almost non-existent. But they are still there. My years as a computer tech and other experience has taught me not to be so trusting as you seem to be. In any case, in order to prevent such things is not a matter of being stupid, although being stupid will help you get the worst possible stuff. Running under Windows so much of your computers power and space is often taken up by virus protection and scanner programs, spyware blockers, intense firewalls (extra large ones), and time is taken up running the scans (if you HAVEN'T been running the scans, you honestly don't know if you have this stuff or not).

On top of that, especially with Vista but also with earlier versions, Windows is highly inefficient in use of memory and processing power. Why do you think programs list an extra gig requirement "if using Vista"? I've seen so many wonders when changing a machine from a windows based, even a stripped down windows base, over to linux base. And seen catastrophes happening the other way (I've had machines that ran fine under linux but Windows couldn't read the memory properly or screwed some other stuff up making the system unusable under Windows).

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:53 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Well, I dont need much security for my home PC really. I am fully aware there might be some kind of spyware running there. But I only care enough if it's making my computer slow. (I dont use credit cards, I dont use internet banking and I never put my SIN number into a computer) I scan my computer every now and then.

You make it sound like Linux is in use everywere. They are in the server sector, but they arent very much in desktop end user market.

And yes, Linux has a reputation for being more secure (About the only place I've saw it used is in a bank) Though keep in mind that every peice of software has security holes, closed source and open source. Because it's written by human beings and we all make mistakes.

A lot of people who use desktop operating systems like distributions of Linux and the Macintosh get a false sense of security, when really those operating systems are just as fallible.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:03 pm
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
No, see thats where you are wrong. Yes, all systems have holes and are not completely secure, but Windows is seriously a joke when it comes to security, and not only because people know it best and try to break it because it has a large part of the market (though that helps). Granted its now alot better than it was, say, on Windows 98, but its still not very good.

Linux is used everywhere, just not as big share of the market, which I did say. However its growing especially outside of the U.S.
For instance, most German Universities now operate on linux systems. And I know a few universities nearby that do as well. I personally know alot of people who use linux for home use too, including myself obviously. Yes, server sector is bigger, but I think I said that myself here or elsewhere.

IN any case, I also pointed out how much better it is for reasons other than just security (after all, that's not why I got it, though it was a plus). Honestly, its just really sweet in so many ways on so many levels.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
super-spam-a-listic!!

[rainbow]I'm a TUNA kitteh, cute pretty sea kitteh... want a tuna sandwich?? you know u want it...[/rainbow]

[rainbow]I'm swimming, I'm swimming, and swimming from Turkey to Canada =^.^=[/rainbow]

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
dogs anus

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:58 pm
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand: