Linux 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 15

Macs, Linux or PCs? 
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Re: Macs, Linux or PCs?
oh wow, that was fucking ridiculous haz...on a side note, i really miss martin sergeants show...

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:47 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Hey I'm going to say PC, as in Windows. Some of my reasons I already stated, plus most software is for Windows. Macintosh's are uber expensive and for the price you pay you get crap.

Linux is easy to use, but making sure it's compatible with my hardware is too much of a pain in the ass for me to undertake as I am too lazy.

It all depends on what you use your system for. If you want to access the internet, play video games and pretty much everything else, buy a Windows PC. And servers, buy yourself a Linux distro. As for Macintosh, I can't think of any way to use it. Just no point in macintosh.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:24 am
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
yellowrock wrote:
oh wow, that was fucking ridiculous haz...on a side note, i really miss martin sergeants show...

QUIET FOOL BOY

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 16
Level 16

Cash on hand:
Windows all the way baby!

Grew up with 95. Loved it.
Went to 98. Loved it.
Went to Me. Kinda liked it.
Went to XP. Now I'm in heaven.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:04 am
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
im sad to say that my school uses mac but i HATE it im personaly for pc and windows i built my pc and i spend an average of $100+ yearly on upgrades i love my pc its my baby

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:42 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Linux, if you haven't heard me ranting about it before.

PC and Mac is actually a bit improper, as it is based on the idea that everyone uses Windows OS on Personal Computer hardware, and Mac OS on Mac Hardware. While there was a time when hardware had their operating systems more exclusively hard wired in, no longer is such the case, nor has it been the case since soon after the birth of Windows. In reality, you COULD put Windows on a Mac, or Mac OS X on a PC, though rarely do people bother and they might have a few compatibility issues until you work around them.

Linux, on the other hand, is a rather different issue. Technically, Linux is the kernel on top of which several thousand Operating Systems are built. This is the only one not associated with a type of hardware listed above. Linux Operating Systems can run on PCs, Servers, Macs, and so on like the others, and have been known to be made for more hardware as well, everything from Microwave Ovens to Satellites actually. Due to several factors, a Linux OS is also the most diverse of the listed OSs, with distributions ranging from extremely particular uses (Make Playstation 2 games, for instance, or running on a Playstation 2) to much broader general uses for the everyday user (Ubuntu, Debian and SUSE might fit into this category). Not only that, but of the three listed, most Linux OSs tend to upgrade and progress far more rapidly. The one I run, Ubuntu, which is in many ways on the lower end of the Linux distros, has seen at least 2 major upgrades since I started using it 1 1/2 years ago, upgrades comparable to changing from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, for instance. Although the OS has actually upgraded more like 4 times in such a vain in that time, I'm only considering for the moment each major version change (Ubuntu 7 to 8, rather than 8.04 to 8.10, for instance, even though both require the same type of OS upgrade). This is done with great ease and speed from one version to the next in comparison with Windows or Mac OS upgrades. You see, when new features are developed, bugs are worked out, new technology appears on the market, better algorithms are made, etc, as is constantly happening in all fields, for the linux community these continually are tested, integrated, built upon, and given to the users as soon as they are ready, rather than waiting for a market appropriate time to send them out and make people pay for it (you don't pay for linux so you don't mind at all getting a new improved version more often than you would if you were encouraged to buy a new Windows OS or Mac OS for several hundred dollars every 6 months.)

After all that clarity: I use Linux (Currently Ubuntu 9.04) on a custom built "PC". Why? Its sweet, oh so sweet. The only real drawback to a linux computer is fact that alot of corporately made software is made specifically for other formates, and thus there is difficulty in compatibility with select software. Alot of this can be worked around and made compatible easily or a hard way, of course, and often easier than it would be to make, say Windows software work on a Mac or vice versa. The only things I can really think of though that its a problem for now are CERTAIN games, specifically for me the only thing I haven't been able to get completely running properly are my Star Wars games. Newer games, and really old games, have actually been alot easier to get running, but unfortunately few people even play the Star Wars games I have anymore.

As for compatibility that PTK mentioned: I had a little trouble with getting my new graphics card working properly at one point, but not alot. And, like I said before, things progress quickly for linux. I would not have the same problem anymore, wouldn't have to bother trying to get everything working. Partially because of the work of OS developers, partially because nVidia now provides specifically linux drivers and even software tools for adjusting their hardware on linux.
As for the games: well I don't play the Star Wars ones that much. My little brother loves WoW, and that works on linux fine, some say better than under windows in certain regards with a few adjustments. But I find myself playing the linux games anyway which I get to extremely easily download and install and play as I like and get rid of as I like (it does all this for me usually), and which are mostly free (there are some games you could pay for, but I haven't cared enough to get those yet). Similar with other software of a huge range. I also get extremely more and better control of things, if I want it, and of far more features, than I would on a Mac OS or Windows.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:42 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
I grew up on Windows. My brother's computer had 95, 98, and finally XP when it crashed and my other brother beefed it up. Then he custom-made my current PC, which also has XP Professional currently. I've used Vista (piece of shit-ass crap) on other people's computers. I've also used a stripped-down version of XP Professional and the full XP Home edition on my laptop, which is currently very much so dead because the charger plug fell into the machine. I've used Windows ME at my grand uncle's house...didn't like it. And I've used Windows 2000 at one of my jobs; really didn't like it at all, though it might have been more the computer than anything.

I've also used Mac OSX for classes before; in high school I took a digital photography class and we were on the Macs since the Dell PCs we had were absolute crap.

And of course I've used Linux (Ubuntu, specifically). I've -seen- more stripped down versions of Linux distros before because the IT guy at my high school used one and he'd show a few of us his setup in his office, but I've only really used Ubuntu because n0th1n has that and Windows XP (for his impatient little brother) on his custom PC. Kind of used Xubuntu for maybe a day or two on my laptop, but gave up on it because I had a very outdated version since my laptop couldn't support newer ones and didn't want to bother with finding out how to update things.

Needless to say, after using all of these, despite being more comfortable with Windows XP, I like Linux (Ubuntu) the best. It's really not hard to learn at all, and it's far more customizable than XP. The look is a lot nicer too, imo, 'cause the XP modern style is just plain ugly and dull (Classic's the way to go). Plus it's free. I hopefully will be dual-booting XP and Ubuntu on my desktop soon once I've cleaned up my primary drive and moved everything I need over to my secondary drives. I wouldn't be running just Ubuntu because I would want to get used to it first, and I would want to make sure I can find alternatives to some of the major programs I use on a daily basis.

You wouldn't really need to buy a Linux distro...and Linux can be used for far more than servers. People have just grown up using Windows (and/or Mac), so they're less likely to want to learn new things, and they're also less likely to believe that there are indeed better things out there than the more commonly advertised programs/OS's/whatever. Take mp3 players for example; the most commonly known is the iPod. Why? Because it's advertised greatly and people get sucked into fads rather quickly. They believe it's the best out there. Same with Zune. However, if you took the time to search, you'll notice that Creative comes out with a rather good series (the Zen series) for twice the space and half the price. 1gb iPod Shuffle vs. 2gb Creative Zen Stone Plus with speakers = half the price for the zen stone plus, and more features. Granted, I'm comparing to Mac which is already overpriced, but you can see the difference among other "popular" mp3 player brands vs. the less advertised ones. You just have to know TO do some research beforehand, which many people don't even bother because they don't care enough to.

And Mac is expensive, sure, but it doesn't rule it out as a bad operation system. From what I've been told (and I could be wrong), Windows OS has been heavily based off of the Mac OS for a long time, trailing behind the Mac OS's. Also Macs are supposedly better for those going into graphic design and architecture and whatnot, though I'm not sure how valid that claim is. Mac is pretty simple to use if you're at least somewhat computer-literate. It takes time to get used to, but so does everything else if you've never used it before.

And yes, I used to hate Mac before I actually tried it out. And I used to think that Linux would be impossible to use therefore not efficient for home usage before I actually did some research and was exposed to it in high school/college. Having such a closed mind/being a Windows fanatic for so long actually kept me from learning new things. I'd say the same is for the rest of you who have only used Windows and are dissing the other OS's without even REALLY taking the time to learn their features.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
I've always used windows. probably always will. I still vote for Linux because it's better if you have the time to customize it.
Since you can make Linux into anything. Windows, mac. Linux can be exactly as those two, so... Yeah.

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2