Post Re: Most grandiose user on forkheads
You make references to it.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:10 pm
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Hmmm, someone has never heard of that most grand of rhetorical devices: the play on words.

The thing about grandiose is that, like many words, it has many meanings, and many possible connotations and uses. As it is not a popular term to use here, people are easily free to view it as they like. The other interesting thing is this word can be somewhat derogatory or an extreme compliment or even an expression of wonder or the sublime.

Thus, as you've noticed, Hanzo even campaigned for the position, and those who like me have expressed that I should get it for a specifically complimentary reason. Kain has expressed that you're consideration of him makes him admirable.

Do we know YOU meant it in a derogatory light? Why, I'm sure most of us do. However, you did not initially specify, and we simply don't care anyway. Thus, we choose to use other uses, definitions and connotations of the word, to play on the word. Even when you gave a specific dictionaries terms, and synonyms, there was much room for either derogatory or praise. By the way though, a large list of synonyms don't actually indicate a use of a word, as many words have synonyms which also have extremely different meanings under some uses, and usually have both derogatory and complimentary synonyms, as you posted this word does.

However, lets not loose what we have here, gentlemen. For it is obvious that the only way this debate can really be settled is by a penis swinging contest, displayed before all to see whose dick is supreme! While the suggestion has some charm in being the victor, let us not forget who has set this up: pinkturbokitty. Obviously he just wants to see all our penises.

edit:
Before I forget, this topic was somewhat funny. It gives SO much evidence to ptks retardation. Its almost quote worthy in parts. I especially love the part where he thought haz and carsito were talking about him rather than pkb whom they very clearly were. It just occurred to me to that this was a mark of his embodying some of the negative connotations of the word he has been trying to apply to the rest of us in this contest.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:38 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Not Quite Left-Winged
Not Quite Left-Winged

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
pinkturbokitty wrote:
You make references to it.

I always uses every and anything people throw and try to make it backfire at them in some way. Glory is no exception.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:00 am
Profile E-mail
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
Group: Assist Admins
pinkturbokitty wrote:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:
Nah, more like you totally overlooked what I probably ment. You used a different dictionary, it wouldve said the same thing furthur down. Nice try.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grandiose

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grandiose

And still, as I've showed you already, I did have all of the definitions that I found on M-W, which you believed to be incorrectly quoted. Thank you for the alternate definition, but as I've said before, I specifically chose the second and more ambiguous definition from M-W for a reason, one which went straight over your head.

Actually, it was totally different than the one I found. You didnt get what I meant since you used a different dictionary which had different meanings. Nothing is going over my head here. Did you notice I put what I meant in italics when I quoted the definition I found when you obviously misunderstood what I meant?

Wow, it really is flying over your head here. You're still missing my whole point. I am purposely choosing a definition that allows ambiguity in order to put a different spin on what you were trying to do (and I used M-W because it's one I prefer). Yes, I realized from the very beginning you were trying to be stupidly derogatory as I knew grandiose is usually used in a negative connotation. That doesn't mean I need to be, especially since the people you've listed are actually pretty cool.

Also, if you really want to attack the definitions given,
Quote:
1 : characterized by affectation of grandeur or splendor or by absurd exaggeration

and
Quote:
1. affectedly grand or important; pompous: grandiose words.

And...
Quote:
2 : impressive because of uncommon largeness, scope, effect, or grandeur

and
Quote:
3. grand in an imposing or impressive way.

Just because they're worded differently do not mean that they're completely different meanings. As you can see, the two definitions given by M-W match up with reference.com. They are not 100% the same, as the second definition M-W gives covers slightly more than reference.com, but they are not so far apart that they are completely different.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:54 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
TO MUCH TEXT FOR THE LOVE OF GORE

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:47 am
Profile E-mail
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:
Nah, more like you totally overlooked what I probably ment. You used a different dictionary, it wouldve said the same thing furthur down. Nice try.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grandiose

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grandiose

And still, as I've showed you already, I did have all of the definitions that I found on M-W, which you believed to be incorrectly quoted. Thank you for the alternate definition, but as I've said before, I specifically chose the second and more ambiguous definition from M-W for a reason, one which went straight over your head.

Actually, it was totally different than the one I found. You didnt get what I meant since you used a different dictionary which had different meanings. Nothing is going over my head here. Did you notice I put what I meant in italics when I quoted the definition I found when you obviously misunderstood what I meant?

Wow, it really is flying over your head here. You're still missing my whole point. I am purposely choosing a definition that allows ambiguity in order to put a different spin on what you were trying to do (and I used M-W because it's one I prefer). Yes, I realized from the very beginning you were trying to be stupidly derogatory as I knew grandiose is usually used in a negative connotation. That doesn't mean I need to be, especially since the people you've listed are actually pretty cool.

Quote:
1 : characterized by affectation of grandeur or splendor or by absurd exaggeration

and
Quote:

And...
Quote:

and
Quote:

Just because they're worded differently do not mean that they're completely different meanings. As you can see, the two definitions given by M-W match up with reference.com. They are not 100% the same, as the second definition M-W gives covers slightly more than reference.com, but they are not so far apart that they are completely different.

You failed the argument and proved nothing.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 am
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
pinkturbokitty wrote:

Actually, I proved a lot by disproving everything you claimed to be true. Maybe you need to learn to read :)

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:05 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:

Actually, I proved a lot by disproving everything you claimed to be true. Maybe you need to learn to read :)

I can read just fine. You're proving me right that you failed in understanding since you keep posting in this topic. If you read my posts, you'll know that I won the argument. If you're so confident that you won, then why do you keep posting?

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:14 am
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
newpurple wrote:
TO MUCH TEXT FOR THE LOVE OF GORE

GUIS HE'S CERIAL

The very image of a king

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:34 am
Profile E-mail
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
George W. Bush was the best president ever. He puts J.F Kennedy to shame :twisted

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:36 am
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
pinkturbokitty wrote:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:

I can read just fine. You're proving me right that you failed in understanding since you keep posting in this topic. If you read my posts, you'll know that I won the argument. If you're so confident that you won, then why do you keep posting?

Because I can, and because you really fail to see why your posts just prove your stupidity. Plus people seem to hate the blocks of text that come with each of my posts, so why not?

rosie wrote:

Quote:

and
Quote:

And...
Quote:

and
Quote:

That basically sums up everything. Learn to read again.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:

Because I can, and because you really fail to see why your posts just prove your stupidity. Plus people seem to hate the blocks of text that come with each of my posts, so why not?

rosie wrote:

Quote:

and
Quote:

And...
Quote:

and
Quote:

That basically sums up everything. Learn to read again.

Nah, I dont hate your posts. They're just noise to me for the following reasons:

1. You're a person on the internet
2. Most of N0th1n's posts are noise to me, and you're a lot like him, so I apply those properties on to you (Which I did from the start when I believed you were his alt)
3. You keep repeating yourself making me speed read your posts more looking for the key points since I'm too lazy to give you more than 10% of my attention, which relates to the 1st reason.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:32 pm
Tech Admin
Tech Admin

Cash on hand:
pinkturbokitty wrote:

Nah, I dont hate your posts. They're just noise to me for the following reasons:

2. Most of N0th1n's posts are noise to me, and you're a lot like him, so I apply those properties on to you (Which I did from the start when I believed you were his alt)
3. You keep repeating yourself making me speed read your posts more looking for the key points since I'm too lazy to give you more than 10% of my attention, which relates to the 1st reason.

0: Others were screaming tl;dr.
1. Thanks for stating the obvious.
2. Too bad his noise has actual substance, unlike yours.
3. I repeat because your replies always address things I have just stated; had you read what I said from the beginning, there would be no need to repeat. Speed read != complete disregard for all that is said. You don't need to give someone more than 5% of your attention to read properly unless you're really bad at focusing.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Mother Fucker
Mother Fucker

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
rosie wrote:
pinkturbokitty wrote:

0: Others were screaming tl;dr.
1. Thanks for stating the obvious.
2. Too bad his noise has actual substance, unlike yours.
3. I repeat because your replies always address things I have just stated; had you read what I said from the beginning, there would be no need to repeat. Speed read != complete disregard for all that is said. You don't need to give someone more than 5% of your attention to read properly unless you're really bad at focusing.

it's no spam section and you are writing Lots about who is the most grandious user. To be honest I couldn't give a shit who it is really I don't give a fuck about what you "rekon"

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Yeah "beceauce I can" has a lot of substance. It really does. You really should win a medal. Seriously.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next