Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Avenged Sevenfold 
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Їи$aиїту
Post Re: Avenged Sevenfold
They are going back to their own little hell. and it's not getting better only worse.

Spoiler: show

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Wow... no one knows shit about metal apparently...

Avenged Sevenfold is Mosh Metal/MoshCore... and a little post moshcore in City of Evil

The entire song Bat Country is about the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Nu-Metal is stuff like Slipknot and Disturbed.

corresponds with Alternative Metal, like Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park and System of a Down.

Thrash Metal... nowhere close to any of these:
Slayer
older Metallica
Megadeth
Sepultura

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Well I dont listen to any of those other than Metallica. And I don't know much about music.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
ReinaHarden wrote:
Well I dont listen to any of those other than Metallica. And I don't know much about music.

Which is why you shouldn't talk about it.

Anyway, MoshCore? Nah, they're just pop metal. Pop metal is simply my term for a group that is based around popularity (I know, thats different than what the music genre "pop" actually means) that gets attention and appeals to people in the mainstream who see them as metal, and "hardcore heavy" because they know very little about metal or music in general.

Linkin Park, particularly in their early years, are Rap/Rock or Rap/Metal. No, this is not Nu Metal for those who so foolishly like to classify that as such. They actually do have some purely rap songs (especially in their really early days) and some purely Rock or metalish songs. And they have some combos. Thus they really are simply a crossover band. Attempts to fit everything into neat genres is ridiculous sometimes though.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:45 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
I actually said Linkin Park was Alternative Metal, which actually includes Rap/Rock/Metal.

The reason why it corresponds with Nu-Metal is because most Alternative Metal bands use the same elements as Nu-Metal bands (see SOAD and Marilyn Manson).
Same thing with Groove Metal and Post-Thrash. Groove Metal can range from non-thrash (Rob Zombie) to some kind of thrash (Pantera and Sepultura).

And A7X are Moshcore... Pop Metal in it's technical sense is Glam Metal. A7X are nothing like Glam Metal.
and by your definition of Pop Metal, this would probably include Slipknot, Disturbed, SOAD, Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, Static X, Hollywood Undead, Underoath, etc. It's more of a critique on people than it is on a genre.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:44 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
*Bows* Master...

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
ReinaHarden wrote:
*Bows* Master...

I'm hoping that's for me. Because I am. (why i've avoided the music section for a year... too many arguments).

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Yes, it is.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:02 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
I actually said Linkin Park was Alternative Metal, which actually includes Rap/Rock/Metal.

The reason why it corresponds with Nu-Metal is because most Alternative Metal bands use the same elements as Nu-Metal bands (see SOAD and Marilyn Manson).
Same thing with Groove Metal and Post-Thrash. Groove Metal can range from non-thrash (Rob Zombie) to some kind of thrash (Pantera and Sepultura).

And A7X are Moshcore... Pop Metal in it's technical sense is Glam Metal. A7X are nothing like Glam Metal.
and by your definition of Pop Metal, this would probably include Slipknot, Disturbed, SOAD, Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, Static X, Hollywood Undead, Underoath, etc. It's more of a critique on people than it is on a genre.

I wasn't actually targeting you in disagreement about the Linkin Park Nu-Metal thing. I was actually informing the general crowd about the situation, and while doing so also addressed what others commonly classify them as and offered my own classification. I did notice what you classified them as, and though its probably better than saying Nu-Metal, I still say Rap/Metal is different in that particular form. For insatnce, I would not classify Anthrax and Public Enemy's song "Bring The Noise" as Alternative Metal, as its simply two distinct elements which exist on their own put together for only a partial mixture, as it were. Difference of putting beef and bread together to make a sandwich and putting beef drippings and flour together to make gravy, I suppose. Yes you come out with some similar flavors, but the two are very distinct and their resulting qualities differ in some key areas. Linkin Park did a similar idea: took a rap group section (Mike Shinoda as MC with Joe Hahn as DJ [whose experience previously was mostly with rap]) and a rock group section (initially Rob Bourdon and Brad Delson, with later additions of Dave Ferrel (Phoenix) and Chester Bennington to complete the setup) and put them together in a way similar to combining Anthrax and Public Enemy, just as a larger project.

Not all those groups would actually fit the formula I layed out completely, though partially. Calling pop metal glam metal sounds to me like your applying a similar formula though, as it appeared during the 80s. Avenged Sevenfold don't fit Glam Metal, but they do fit the formula as it works in a different context/time. Their not THAT different from Glam Metal anyway though, just again, they follow the trends of a different time and context.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:28 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
I've decided to run away from this topic.... as it has turned to long posts, where i'm really not needed, wanted, or hoping to be. By the way I shall now address Carsito as master, don't take much stock in it.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:09 am
Profile E-mail
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
Actually, the only time i've heard Pop Metal used for modern music has been for hardcore type bands that use a lot of thrust beats and hard snare hits. I think it's because Pop Metal now refers to the actual Pop sound that some underground Hardcore or Metal bands make in their music.

But anywho, that isn't describing their music, it's describing their fame... Moshcore is their music, though.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
What's your opinion of classical music?

Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
CarsitoPyg wrote:
Actually, the only time i've heard Pop Metal used for modern music has been for hardcore type bands that use a lot of thrust beats and hard snare hits. I think it's because Pop Metal now refers to the actual Pop sound that some underground Hardcore or Metal bands make in their music.

But anywho, that isn't describing their music, it's describing their fame... Moshcore is their music, though.

No no no, its not about their fame. Their fame is incidental. It's a very broad style which tends to LEAD to some level of fame, or a resemblance with some fame. But there can be plenty of very famous bands that don't fit the category.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:58 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
CarsitoPyg wrote:

No no no, its not about their fame. Their fame is incidental. It's a very broad style which tends to LEAD to some level of fame, or a resemblance with some fame. But there can be plenty of very famous bands that don't fit the category.

so the culture of their music? just like Slipknot and Disturbed. people who listen to them think they're hardcore?

that's like calling Cradle of Filth Goth Metal...

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Did not read all of the replies, but I have an opinion on this band.

This band would be so much better off without Synyster Gates. All he is really good for is showing his ass. Serious rock/metal fans will not take this band seriously until they lose his conceited ass. Zack has talent, as for Gates, I know amateur guitar players that can play all of his solos better than he can even play them live or studio.

The band has potential, but until they lose Gates, who essentially does nothing but show his ass, they will never be completely taken seriously. Just saying.

I do like the music though, but it's not something I could seriously get into.
Lose Gates, then we'll talk.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2