Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Post Re: Making a Stand
n0th1n wrote:
Haz wrote:
n0th1n wrote:
Lime wrote:
Theology at a biased catholic school.

I'm not even sure what you're referring to right now with this, as you didn't make much clear. However, along with that said, you are lacking in quality for the Serious board, you realize.

In any case, if you knew much about what Theology IS (or listened a bit more carefully when I told you), you'd see the fallacy of that statement.

Frodo is not at all gay. His relationship with Sam and the others is a perfect literary illustration of what C.S. Lewis describes in his book The Four Loves under the chapter of "Friendship". He even addresses specifically the rather misguided idea some modern thinkers have in seeing homosexual relationships where they do not exist in relation to this love (while not saying that homosexual desires have never been mixed up in such matters).
In any case, there is also a difference between how you speak about an idea and about a reality. You were using the terms of a reality.

As for being a genocidal God: you base this on what? Selective bits of stories you don't give credit to anyway? Given the nature of the situation anyway, even under your propositions and selective view, calling God genocidal would be like calling Enterprise Car Rentals a bunch of car thieves for demanding you return the cars you rented.

and you base the Loving caring God on selective bits of stories.

but anyway we are getting off topic the matter of fact is in a secular society You think I do this just a way of angering people your missing the point why should a children picture book author be threatened by hundreds of people in his own town because he drew a picture of Muhammed in his story. If I said "I find it offensive for anyone to wear wolly hats because my father died whilst wearing one" I wouldn't have everyone taking off wolly hats when I asked them to but because people are scared of violence the picture isn't shown

Actually, I base it on the an understanding of the entire story, and the story in context of the historical and cultural situations, and its context along with the stories and writings surrounding it. Then further on the tradition that has developed alongside it and the community that has grown out of the two, etc. etc.

Honestly though if it was all a violent religion sanctioning greater violence for certain ends it wouldn't necessarily bother me in that context. I'd probably be out gun in hand blowing out a few brains. Such is not the case, however.

you mention the childrens' books stuff. Do you not recall the uproar when a topless picture made it into a waldo book? Imagine the uproar if someone put a bunch of extremely violent hentai rape into a childrens' book. Or, for instance in the current climate, if someone wrote a childrens' book where Obama was assassinated by the hero because he is evil or a child molester or something. I think you'd see a good bit of uproar from many different groups. Violent? I'd wager there would indeed be some violence. As much? Hard to say, probably not.
Again though, I do not condone the violent reactions, nor do I dismiss them, I'm just saying it can be understood and is not as extreme a reaction as you are making it out to be, especially not when you realize just how great and direct an insult and offense this is to these people.

I never said it was exclusive to Islam at any point I simply chose Islam because it is the most prime example

and not the extreme reaction there were mass killings across the east bombings in Denmark some countries wouldn't reprint them for fear of attack.

and if you are saying that it isn't an extreme reaction to go kill over a picture of someone from your religion then...

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
I said it isn't as extreme as you make it out to be, i.e. its not so atypical or unusual.
Do you realize the U.S. has gone to war over an attack on a ship that DIDN'T happen? (Spanish-American war, although tensions were already high and leaning that way by that point).

World War I, although there were many, many factors and things were already on the verge, was sparked/excused by the assassination of 1 man by a random terrorist group. That's quite a massive amount of violence over 1 non-state organization killing someone which that country actually kinda wanted to go away anyway. And to some of these Islamic people, this is actually just as great or greater an offense.
Do you think it shouldn't be? Do I think they have their priorities a little mixed? Maybe, I'd say they likely are wrong to put so much value on this, but I also hold that their religion is wrong in general. Doesn't mean I can't understand that, under such circumstances and with such values, taboos, and sacred sanctions in place, they would react in such a way. I also understand its really not even necessarily a matter of the religion demanding this kind of reaction, but the people of the religion taking such actions, as often happens in these situations.

Addition:
By the way, the military/government pretty well knew the USS Maine wasn't hit by the Spanish or anything, its just that the American people listened to the yellow journalists of the time that said otherwise, and pressured/ gave the government excuse to go to war over it.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 27
Level 27

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Їи$aиїту
Genuine Question: I believe in god but do not worship him, what does that make me?

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:12 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
ReinaHarden wrote:
Genuine Question: I believe in god but do not worship him, what does that make me?

Alot of things. Mostly negative. "Non-practicing believer" some might say nicely, or "apathetic believer". But, much would depend on greater details.

However, that is not the discussion at hand. Stay closer to the actual topic or go elsewhere.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3